An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Conflict

Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

Has anyone watched the 1973 movie The Conflict (a.k.a Catholics), with Martin Sheen and Trevor Howard? I'm wondering what you thought of it, because it completely baffled me.

– Cilla (Or Chincilla ;) )

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I've seen a compilation of clips from it on youtube.  What is it that baffles you, just so that I can answer your question more easily?

Ancilla Domini

Well, for one thing, I couldn't figure out if the main theme was pro or anti-traditionalist. And what exactly did they mean by that ending? How was an atheist the best superior of the monastery?

Wow, yeah, like I said I never seen the whole thing.  From the parts I've seen the theme was actually neutral with sympathies for both parties.  An atheist as superior, hmm, well I can only guess this was crazy rationale from the '70s as well as perhaps the thought the atheist wouldn't have a vested interest either way.  

brandelynmarie

So according to the movie, a true athiest would be the most neutral, unbiased superior a community could have? Hmmm...but leading a cumminity & not even believing what that community stands for beyond a benign humanistic understanding...wow.

This actually reminds me of an article I read several months ago about a Christian (group? college?) where they were asked to be nondiscriminatory by allowing an athiest to lead them...it just doesn't even make any sense! :o