An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discussion From Science Class...

cartermia

I just added my two cents in the Lame board. I try to avoid the debate table, but I can elaborate on my response, if you need.

:like3:      Now I know ArchCat has some background in archaeology, and I know a bit about Astronomy and Cosmology... not sure about Nihil... he seems to know a little about everything!   Nihil, è¿™æ˜¯ä¸æ˜¯è¿™æ ·å‘¢ï¼Ÿ

我喜欢觉得这是真实。。。 :hehe:

Edit:You probably do not need the 呢 particle though. That is used more for saying something like "and you?" (你呢?) My understanding is that the 是不是 construction turns the sentence into a question in its own right.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

One of my teachers just said the other day, "There are three type of people in the world; people who talk about people, people who talk about events, and people who talk about ideas. ( :) )."

A fun footnote to the discussion....

我喜欢觉得这是真实。。。 :hehe:

Edit:You probably do not need the 呢 particle though. That is used more for saying something like "and you?" (你呢?) My understanding is that the 是不是 construction turns the sentence into a question in its own right.

Nihil, I don't speak ANY Chinese.  Much less write it!!!! 

But I know you are taking it!

I simply translated 'Am I not right?' with Google Translate, and pasted it in....   rotfl

I can totally imagine what Google Translate did with "Am I not right?" 

Do let us know... I bet it was totally mangled...

IDEAS FOR THE WIN!!!!!!

But I like talking abut people and events, too!!! 

I just like talking  rotfl

Edited by AnneLine

There is a tool foresters use that bores a stip out of the tree without cutting it down. It comes out about the diameter of a pencil. It takes experience to do it right to hit the middle because trees are rarely symmetrical.

Dendrochronology doesn't just use old trees that are cut down. We also use old wood that has a know date of being cut down. Like the wood used in a desk that has a makers mark on it, or a building with a known date of being built. In Ireland they take logs found in bogs and like a jig saw puzzle connect the years back through time. Irish oak dendrochrinology is some of the best historical weather information we have.

A fun footnote to the discussion....

Nihil, I don't speak ANY Chinese.  Much less write it!!!! 

But I know you are taking it!

I simply translated 'Am I not right?' with Google Translate, and pasted it in....   rotfl

I can totally imagine what Google Translate did with "Am I not right?" 

Do let us know... I bet it was totally mangled...

Actually it was not so bad. The fact that Google Translate wanted to use the 是不是 construction is kind of interesting, since that type of phrase is very idiomatic. It literally translates to "is not is", with a meaning along the lines of "is that correct or not?" But you can actually use that for all kinds of phrases, like 有没有 or 对不对 or 去不去, respectively: have not have, correct not correct, go not go.

Anyway, for Google translate it was decent, though likely not the way a native speaker might have said it. :hehe: Not that I would know.

Maybe numbers are things people just created to confuse other people and they mean nothing at all. Maybe all things are equal to all things.

And maybe science isn't even real, it is all a lie! I solved the mystery of the universe!

article-2432922-18472EF100000578-249_634