An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sending A Christmas Card To A Community

Julie de Sales

Julie de Sales

Christmas is knocking at the door and I was thinking about sending a greeting card to the community I'm interested in. The problem is that I'm not sure how to address myself. The Mother Superior has changed from the time I went to visit and I haven't known her personally. I also don't recall all the sisters names. Given the fact that I'm speaking for all the community, I could begin by: "Dear sisters" or "Dear Reverend Mother and sisters". 

I would also like to tell them a little bit about my discernment, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to include this in the card. I'm thinking that maybe all the sisters will read it and there are some things I would like to tell only the Mother Superior. 

So if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate ;)

Even though I am good friends with all the nuns at a certain monastery, I still address all correspondence (email, gifts, snail mail, etc,) to Reverend Mother and Sisters.

Maybe you could address the card to Rev Mother and sisters and then enclose a separate sheet of paper with a note/letter for the Superior. Or if you want to make it really clear you could put them in different envelopes.

I agree with Rev. Mother and Sisters.    Absolutely would be appropriate.

And... I would definitely put a correspondence with Rev. Mother in a separate envelope - you could enclose it in the Christmas card if you wish.

Often religious communities 'decorate' with the cards, putting them up on walls, tables, etc.  

So... all your personal info would be 'out' there.... and it might not end up on Mother's desk! 

Edited by AnneLine

I would say keep the discernment stuff separate from the Christmas card. One community I know will cut up a reuse parts of cards in Thank you cards throughout the year. So its probably best to keep the discernment stuff separate.

AveMariaPurissima

Maybe you could address the card to Rev Mother and sisters and then enclose a separate sheet of paper with a note/letter for the Superior. Or if you want to make it really clear you could put them in different envelopes.

This is what I would suggest too.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my Christmas cards off a few days ago and I probably have a few more to send out still. I always manage to forget a couple of people!

May I hijack this thread to ask if it is appropriate to send a donation inside the Christmas card, or should the donation be separate?

I hope I get soon a reply.  :pray:

But don't be too disappointed if it takes a while... Christmas is the craziest season for answering letters... We receive each year several laundry baskets full of letters. They have to be separated, put into different boxes (example: letters from guests, letters from other communities...) and be registered by the Prioress and her secretary to make sure to respond to .... It is like a huge post office!

May I hijack this thread to ask if it is appropriate to send a donation inside the Christmas card, or should the donation be separate?

We receive a lot of cards where there is a donation inside, but to make it easy, i would make it quite "visible" (not "hide it somewhere in the card), but like that it can be taken out by the first opening of the card and being registered.