An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bbc Series: The Monastery

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

There was this great series released in 2005 (I believe) about Benedictine monks living in England who allowed some men from all different walks of life who were all seekinging different things, to live with them for a span of 40 days. Their progress is documented in 3 episodes and one follow-up reunion episode. The series was very engaging and very well made, but what can I say, it's BBC. I apologize for getting off topic in the Men in Habits thread, y'all. Also, here's where you can view it, thanks EmilyAnn!

http://www.worthabbey.net/bbc/links-youtube.htm

Edited by Mary+Immaculate<3

Thanks for bringing this up, Mary+Immaculate<3!!!!!

One of the other Phatmassers, SomethingFishy, who is now with the Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph in England, made a mention of this video series a few years back.   I watched it then... got fascinated, and came back and watched it some more.

And got intrigued enough to order Fr. Christopher Jamison, OSB's follow-up book, Finding Sanctuary.

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Sanctuary-Monastic-Steps-Everyday/dp/0814631681

Both were excellent, and thought-provoking, and several groups I belong to have discussed the videos and book, including my Secular Order novitiate. 

Would LOVE to talk with you all about this!!!

Has any one else watched videos/read book and wanna share?

Mary+Immaculate<3

Well, last month I believe it was, I watched the film "Into Great Silence" about one of the most ascetic and secluded monasteries in the world. It was fascinating, but also very hard to finish, I got very attention deficit at times. I was on phatmass some of the time and texting, because it was a really intense film. Intense because of the stillness, quiet, and order to it, intense in a profound, holy way.

And got intrigued enough to order Fr. Christopher Jamison, OSB's follow-up book, Finding Sanctuary.

I wholeheartedly recommend the books by Fr Christopher Jamison, Finding Sanctuary and Finding Happiness. He is the one who equipped me with my motto for life - "I am going to be not very good at this for a very long time". :P

I loved the books as well, Beatitude.   My Secular Order people felt that they got great insights into how to live more prayerfully from the first book... I've only started dipping into the second.

And I am thrilled that Fr. Christopher is now the Vocations director for the UK.  Impressive!

M+I, I loved Into Great Silence as well, but it is a totally different kind movie about an order of hermits.   I can well imagine you needed/wanted some connection with other Phatmassers as you watched it... because that is the exact point -- the temptation to NOT stay in 'the cell'.  THAT's the call of the hermit - to stay alone with God in the Cell.

Benedictine monasticism is more about learning to share life in the community, more than in the cell.  And that is part of what makes THAT lifestyle so difficult!

And I think for lay people -- it's about staying in a healthy balance of the two in the midst of the world... and seeking God there.

The Monastery is about what happens to a group of lay men who live with a Benedictine community of monks who are not strictly enclosed, nor living an eremitical lifestyle.  The monks share with them the values they find in the Rule of St. Benedict, but the value of some aspects of the Benedictine lifestyle are alluding some of them.  So, at one point Abbot Christopher takes them to visit the Charterhouse of St. Hugh in England at Parkminster-- so they can see the difference.  THAT is the same community as the Into Great Silence monks (although Into Great Silence is about the house near Grenoble, France....  But essentially, Parkminster is the same kind of place as at Into Great SilenceThe Monastery was different, because it was really more focused on the lessons the monks were teaching the men about how to live well in community... and develop their prayer life in that way.

Now I am a pretty introverted person, and I belong to a Secular Order that values silence and prayer.  But when Into Great Silence came out, I wasn't at all sure I was going to be able to handle its' intensity in a theater.  But I decided to try...And I was fascinated... and fascinated at the responses of the others in the theater. 

Some people got totally antsy, others walked out... but most of us stayed and were captivated.  A few (incuding me!) snoozed a bit from time to time... simply because it was dark and warm and silent in the theater!  And because it was SO INTENSE!!!!!

I went back a second time, and was equally beguiled.

I will tell you watching it is a prayerful experience... but I tend to get sleepy if I watch more than a half hour at a time....

---------------------------------------------------------------

For any who are interested, Into Great Silence has been uploaded on Youtube in case anyone is interested at this link:

Here's a clip....which includes some time alone in the cell, work, chanting the office in the choir....  this 20 minutes will give you a good idea of what a 2.5 hour watching would be like... but you'd be surprised... in some ways, the longer one is easier to watch!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZlMXSenTo[/media]

and here is a link to the full video: 

(NOTE:  NOT with English subtitles, but it does have several other sets....]

(But there is not much talking, so it really doesn't matter too much....)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY45g8trFMY[/media]

Mary+Immaculate<3

Wow anneline! That's so interesting, the hermetic orders reminded me of each other, but I wasn't sure. Yes, I could see why some pholks would walk out, it's just as it is for those who actually enter, some stay and some leave. Next time watching it I'm bringing a Rosary and Bible in case I need some prayer, it's better than texting xD
Yeah, I started watching it pretty late on a Friday or Saturday night and paused it so many times that it probably took me closer to 3 hours.
Yeah, it was interesting seeing some of the guys in The Monastery, because at the beginning ome of them was like "I can't believe I have to spend 35 more bloody days here, it's so hard." and I'm thinking I'd rather be there than in the world. By the end some of them seem like they don't want to leave.
Did any of you notice that the middle-aged man, Peter I think it was, wasn't focused on much? I thought he should have had a little more camera time, but then again he just didn't seem to talk as much, he seemed more introverted.

Edited by Mary+Immaculate<3

M+I, you might like -- and/or might find it really hard reading! -- a book that came out at about the same time called An Infinity of Little Hours.  It is written by a woman about what happened to the men who entered PARKMINSTER (The British Charterhouse) in the same year (just about 50 years ago) just before some small changes at the time of Vatican II.   It details the experience of those who came, those who went, those who stayed.

I don't want to steal the story, but she knows one of those men, and with his permission, contacted the Parkminster monastery to see if she could learn more.  She was warmly welcomed by them, and by many of those who had left, and this book is the result of those contacts.

The Reason SomethingFishy posted the original link that started my interest in The Monastery was that the Novice Master that shows the men and Abbot Christopher around Parkminster is one of the men profiled in An Infinity of Little Hours.  (The author of the book gives him a different name...as she does with all living monks and ex-monks.  Which is very respectful!)

Here's a link to Amazon for that book:

http://www.amazon.com/An-Infinity-Little-Hours-Monastic/dp/158648432X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386296860&sr=8-1&keywords=An+Infinity+of+Little+Hours

I strongly recommend the book -- but it can be a bit of an eye opener in many ways.  THIS is not a vocation for the faint-hearted!  And, many of the customs were changed a bit after Vatican II.  

Edited by AnneLine

I'm curious to know what you thought of The Monastery?  Did anyone have any favorite/disliked participants among the men or monks?

Where there any surprises for you as you watched the movie?

Would YOU want to try something like this?

Mary+Immaculate<3

I can't remember their names to well, but I'll do my best. I thought that the Irishman was quite a strong and Persevernace character, but I was annoyed by his and (I think) Andrew's bickering. Of course, that is because they both are very different, opinionated individuals, and weren't as willing to compromise. I don't like arguing (unless it's constructive, like a formal debate/defense/philosophy), and believe it accomplishes so little for the world. I thought the guy who experienced a change of heart after being prayed over by Brother Francis was a great example of how one can make the best of their 40 day retreat, but I'm the reunion episode it seemed like he thought he was doing really well. When I think I'm doing well that's exactly the time I know something is going wrong, nevertheless it is understandable and hardly a flaw, because he was honestly trying and changed his life around, even quitting his job. I thought Peter seemed like a neutral, amiable, easygoing man, but his gleaning from the experience was hard to observe (see above post). He was less open, do I have less to say about him, since he didn't say much himself. The man who had spent time with Buddhist monks and was fascinated by the hermetic life really intrigued me. Not only did he immerse himself in the meditations and prayers of the monks, but he spent extra time in study and meditation, which impressed me. It was kind of surprising me that he decided to become a priest, not because of the actual call, but because he chose the Anglican priesthood. If only he knew the excellence of the Catholic priesthood! Maybe some day he will come home :) Andrew seemed like he was able to order his life a lot more when he left, he seemed like a partied before. If any of that stopped afterwards I'm not sure, but he seemed like he grew in humility, right along with the Irish man. I liked that the Irish man really got motivated to be a prison minister and share his conversion, instead of just going about his own life. It shows the redemption an ex-con can not only receive, but give to others.
At this point in time I have so many books...so little time, but I will keep this one in mind as a discernment tool.
Hmmm, as far as surprises, there were, but not ones that were like "wow I never thought that would have happened," more like it was good to see them unfold. For example, the man's conversion shortly before he left and the other's decision at becoming a priest, or the Irish man becoming a prison minister. We never know what the Lord has in store.
Oh I would absolutely try something like this. Obviously going into it I'm not going to be naïve and think that I'm going to be a monastic pro, saintly ascetic, it's obvious that the rigor is difficult to cope with a lot.
Interestingly enough there was a BBC sister series to this called "The Convent" which I started watching. Unfortunately they didn't have the whole thing on YouTube, that I could find at least. So far as I've watched, the women have done, unfortunately, what women often do. Breaking off into cliques. There were other things like breaking the rules about wake-up, prayers, going off with just one other person's cell. The Convent was filmed at a Poor Clare monastery, which was also in England I believe. The women are all very different, some of them are very broken and I sympathize with them because they struggle to redeem their suffering and see its value.

This includes Wikipedia info on the series -- including a list of the 'men' and the 'monks'.  Might be useful for us so we have the names handy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monastery_(TV_series)

For quick reference (with some editing, but generally taken from above link):

The laymen

Tony Burke, 29, single and from London. Worked in the world of advertising and production of television trailers for sex chat lines. Of the five, it was Tony whose experience on the show was most profound.

Nick Buxton, 37, a PhD student who subsequently completed his doctoral in Buddhist Studies at Cambridge University and who has stayed in numerous monasteries around the world.

Peter Gruffydd, 69, married and a retired teacher from Bristol. The published poet wanted to re-examine the faith in which he was raised as a child, having rejected religion in his youth.

Gary McCormick, 36, single and from Cornwall. Originally from Belfast, he joined the loyalist paramilitary group, the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) at 18 years of age. He claims to have been falsely accused of fire bombing a shop and vandalising a Catholic home which in turn led to time in prison. Now a committed Christian who found God at the age 23. Struggling with alcohol and low self-esteem as a consequence his troubled past, Gary decided to participate on the show to come to terms with issues prior to getting married to his fiancée.

Anthoney Wright, 32, single and from Nottingham. Working for a legal publishing company in London, he was raised by his Baptist grandparents, he was in search of a way to deal with issues surrounding his mother and alternatives to his hedonistic lifestyle.....

Edited by AnneLine

I'm curious to know what you thought of The Monastery?  Did anyone have any favorite/disliked participants among the men or monks?

Where there any surprises for you as you watched the movie?

Would YOU want to try something like this?

(Just reposted my questions above for ease of reference)

I can't remember their names to well, but I'll do my best. I thought that the Irishman was quite a strong and Persevernace character, but I was annoyed by his and (I think) Andrew's bickering. Of course, that is because they both are very different, opinionated individuals, and weren't as willing to compromise.

I think you are talking about Gary the Irishman and Anthoney.  That was my first reaction, but when I watched it again, I realized that God was busily working in the middle of what seemed like an argument....

I don't like arguing (unless it's constructive, like a formal debate/defense/philosophy), and believe it accomplishes so little for the world.

I agree, but as I noted, I do think something was happening... but it was pretty hard to see at first.  But there was definitely movement here....

I thought the guy who experienced a change of heart after being prayed over by Brother Francis was a great example of how one can make the best of their 40 day retreat, but I'm the reunion episode it seemed like he thought he was doing really well.

You mean the blonde guy, Tony?   I agree... I was very touched by what happened with him...

When I think I'm doing well that's exactly the time I know something is going wrong, nevertheless it is understandable and hardly a flaw, because he was honestly trying and changed his life around, even quitting his job.

Exactly.  And I still find myself praying for him... and others like him...

I thought Peter seemed like a neutral, amiable, easygoing man, but his gleaning from the experience was hard to observe (see above post). He was less open, do I have less to say about him, since he didn't say much himself.

I almost responded to your first comment, but then saw you'd expanded your reaction.  I agree... I think Peter didn't really 'get' into the experience.  I think he kind of avoided it.... tried to do it as the literature professor he was while he was working.  But you can't get spirituality from the outside... and this is what it looks like when someone avoids 'entering' the door of the monastery... I think his body came in, but his heart and soul didn't.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

The man who had spent time with Buddhist monks and was fascinated by the hermetic life really intrigued me.

You mean Nick, the guy who was studying comparative religion... and fighting a losing battle with a vocation?   he he he....

Not only did he immerse himself in the meditations and prayers of the monks, but he spent extra time in study and meditation, which impressed me. It was kind of surprising me that he decided to become a priest, not because of the actual call, but because he chose the Anglican priesthood.

I believe he WAS Anglican when the series started, so he simply accepted ordination in his own denomination.  Would be nice if at some point he decides to convert to Catholicism, but I do think he did a pretty good job of really working on responding to God's call.. kind of kicking and screaming.  I've certainly seen Secular Order people who approach our vocation in this way.... it was interesting to see it portrayed in this series.... 

If only he knew the excellence of the Catholic priesthood! Maybe some day he will come home :)

he he he... you can pray for him, M+I.........

Andrew [Anthoney?] seemed like he was able to order his life a lot more when he left, he seemed like a partied before. If any of that stopped afterwards I'm not sure, but he seemed like he grew in humility, right along with the Irish man [Gary]. I liked that the Irish man really got motivated to be a prison minister and share his conversion, instead of just going about his own life. It shows the redemption an ex-con can not only receive, but give to others.

I really agree with you, and I thought it was interesting that one of the priests (was it the Abbot? or one of the others?) noted that both of them were the most damaged, and thus had the most in common... which made it almost inevitable that they would have the strongest conflicts.... and yet might grow very much from examining the roots of their behavior.  VERY interesting insight, and I would agree..... oh yes.

At this point in time I have so many books...so little time, but I will keep this one in mind as a discernment tool.

So many books, indeed!   Finding Sanctuary is a wonderful book on just how to develop a good prapyer life.... the Invinity of Little Hours is more of a sociological study of the lifestyle of the Carthusians and how it impacted those 5 men who entered in the 1960's.  Neither really would of itself be useful for discerning, but both would add some depth to your discusisons with God or your spiritual director about the same.... ;)  And they are both worth putting on your to read list.... :read:

Hmmm, as far as surprises, there were, but not ones that were like "wow I never thought that would have happened," more like it was good to see them unfold. For example, the man's conversion shortly before he left and the other's decision at becoming a priest, or the Irish man becoming a prison minister. We never know what the Lord has in store.

yes. I agree completely.

Oh I would absolutely try something like this. Obviously going into it I'm not going to be naïve and think that I'm going to be a monastic pro, saintly ascetic, it's obvious that the rigor is difficult to cope with a lot.

My bet is that they would NOT take people like us on a series like this... but I bet it would be a very interesting experience.  Apparently Worth Abbey DOES have this program available for ordinary people.  Interesting.

Interestingly enough there was a BBC sister series to this called "The Convent" which I started watching. Unfortunately they didn't have the whole thing on YouTube, that I could find at least. So far as I've watched, the women have done, unfortunately, what women often do. Breaking off into cliques. There were other things like breaking the rules about wake-up, prayers, going off with just one other person's cell. The Convent was filmed at a Poor Clare monastery, which was also in England I believe. The women are all very different, some of them are very broken and I sympathize with them because they struggle to redeem their suffering and see its value.

I also have not been able to see the full Convent with the Arundel Poor Clares, and I did see part of the U.S. remake of The Monastery that was at the Monastery of Christ in the Desert in New Mexico.  Unfortunately TLC decided to not run the last episode, which was a pain.  And it has never been available on CD.  Grrrrr.

I do have the U.S. women's version, The Monastery that took place at the Trappistine Monastery in Iowa.  It was a little more of the 'reality tv' (as was the US version at Christ in the Desert) but it was interesting to see what happened with the women.  I dont' think the change was as profound, but it definitely happened.. but I agree, there is something about the women and the catty element that is somewhat unnecessary.  Either do the project or don['t do it.  Seems to be something that happens with American reality programs in general, and for the most part it gets avoided in most British productions.

would love to see more people in this discussion!!!!!!!   :)  :read: :)  :popcorn:

The author of the "Little hours" married one of the candidate's. Also one of the candidate's who left, went on to have a homosexual relationship.

Yes.  The author of The Little Hours met her husband many years after he left, with appropriate dispensation, and she married him.

And his prayerful lifestyle brought her to wonder about his years as a Carthusian.... and led her on the search to understand the vocation better.

One of the other hermits who left did realize he was homosexual only after he was in the monastery and taking a class in moral theology.  At that time and in that world... that probably happened to a great many men... and women.  I think people have more self-awareness now, and a MUCH better attempt is made to screen out candidates who for many reasons do not belong in a monastery or hermitage.

I actually liked that guy as a person, and I can only imagine how difficult his struggle must have been.  I think he made a good choice to leave given what he now understood.

I try not to make judgments about any choices he or any of the others made after leaving the monastery.  The Church's position on many things is clear... but I am not that ex-Carthusian's judge.  He isn't trying to be a monk, and he has made that clear. 

Other than his own change in comprehension of things, and his self-discernment that he could not continue given what he now knew, I really don't think it is of itself that relevant to the narrative of the book; each man who left had his own reasons and/or experiences.  As does each person who enters and discerns s/he must leave.

I was hoping that readers might find out for themselves, but only ONE of the men who entered in this class persevered until the time the book was written.  The one who persevered is the priest is the one who gives the tour during The Monastery.  The others struggled valiantly to do God's will... and left for various reasons that make complete sense by the time they leave.

Vocation and self-knowledge are difficult topics... I choose not to judge anyone who struggles to do and follow God's will.   But I do think that EVERY person who enters a cell at the Charterhouse will face many difficult insights... and in doing so, will encounter the Face of God.  But it is a VERY hard vocation, and not one to be entered into lightly.   That statement will make sense if one reads and finishes the book.

Edited by AnneLine

brandelynmarie

Peter was my favorite :). I love how God reached out to him right where he was emotionally, spiritually...he seemed to gradually become very receptive...most open to the Monastery experience...even with his background he seemed to have an innocence about him....& he was able to integrate meditation back into his daily living while changing the focus of his career ;).

One of my favorite scenes was when two of them jogged off the property....almost acting like rebellious school boys skipping class!

I was saddest about Anthony...even at the deepest, most profound moments he appeared to be living just on the periphery of it all...just breaks my heart....

Oh, & yes,.I'm also bothered by the missong parts

brandelynmarie

.....to The Convent on youtube! (pardon my cell phone,lol) I also got a totally different sense from watching it & at times I got so uncomfortable with what some of the women were doing I thought I'd rather be over in the monastery with the guys! :hehe:

Thanks AL for posting the list of participants above ;) It helps jog my memory....

Edited by brandelynmarie