An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Knows Anything About Passionist Nuns?

Kateri89

brandelynmarie

Wait....are jumpers in the UK what we call sweaters in the US? Jumpers in the US are well, um dresses that have shoulder straps & are usually worn over blouses :blush:

(either way, still not fond of polyester! :hehe:)

Sponsa-Christi

Yes, a jumper in the UK or Ireland is what we would call a sweater in the United States. (And I think an American jumper would be called a pinafore in the UK or Ireland.)

I had quite a shock once when an Irish seminarian friend was telling me a story and recounted: "So we were invited to this nice dinner, and we put on our best woolly jumpers..."

I was like: "WHAT??!!! Why on earth were you wearing a jumper?" My friend was equally confused at my confusion, but eventually we both figured out the different usage of the same word.

Nothing like being divided by a common language! :) 

Re-reading and saw 'the postulant closet', and boy, I am back there.

It had it's own particular odour, I can smell it now, partly laundered linens, partly beeswax polish, partly the odour of sanctity.

(Okay, so maybe that last one was wishful thinking!) :saint2:

Edited by maximillion

Wait....are jumpers in the UK what we call sweaters in the US? Jumpers in the US are well, um dresses that have shoulder straps & are usually worn over blouses :blush:

(either way, still not fond of polyester! :hehe:)

Yes. A jumper is what we say for sweater in the UK.

What you call a jumper, we call a pinafore or a pinafore dress, which is sometimes shortened to 'pinny'.

Edited by beatitude

Yup. Jumpers are sweaters here. We tend to call what you guys call jumpers "pinafore dresses".  They are often school uniform here.  Looks great on kids. Maybe not so great on a 45 year-old. :)

cpig01_zpsda0415bf.jpg

Edited by Lil'Nun

Re-reading and saw 'the postulant closet', and boy, I am back there.

It had it's own particular odour, I can smell it now, partly laundered linens, partly beeswax polish, partly the odour of sanctity.

(Okay, so maybe that last one was wishful thinking!) :saint2:

Your comment on the "odor of sanctity" is hilarious, Maximillion--yet when I re-visited my former mother- house, it was the unique, wonderful smell (which I had forgotten) of the place that brought back a flood of memories.

History[edit]

In the "Life of St. Paul of the Cross" by Vincent Strambi, we have evidence of his design from the beginning of the Congregation of the Passion to found an institute in which women, consecrated to the service of God, should devote themselves to prayer and meditation on our Lord's Passion. It was not until towards the end of his life that he wrote the rules of the institute which were approved by the brief of Clement XIV in 1770.

St. Paul had as cooperatrix in the foundation of the Passionist nuns, a religious, known as Mother Mary of Jesus Crucified, whose secular name was Faustina Gertrude Constantini. She was born at Corneto, 18 August 1713. In youth she placed herself under the direction of St. Paul of the Cross, and became a Benedictine nun in her native city, awaiting the establishment of a Passionist convent. Through the generosity of her relatives, Dominic Costantini, Nicolas his brother, and Lucia his wife, a site was obtained for the first convent of the new institute in Corneto, and a suitable house and chapel were built.

On the Feast of the Holy Cross, 1771, Mother Mary of Jesus Crucified, with the permission of Clement XIV, with ten postulants, was clothed in the habit of the Passion and entered the first convent of Passionist nuns, solemnly opened by the vicar capitular of the diocese. St. Paul, detained by illness, was represented by the first consultor general of the order, Father John Mary. Mary of Jesus Crucified became the first mother superior of her order and remained so until her death in 1787.

The spirit of the institute and its distinctive character is devotion to the Passion of Christ, to which the sisters bind themselves by vows. Their life is austere, but in no way injurious to health. Postulants seeking admission must have a dowry. Their convents are strictly enclosed. The sisters chant or recite the Divine Office in common and spend the greater part of the day in prayer and other duties of piety. They attend to the domestic work of the convent, and occupy themselves in their cells with needlework, making vestments etc.

With the approbation of Pius IX a house was established at Mamers in the Diocese of Le MansFrance, in 1872, and continued to flourish until suppressed with other religious communities in 1903 by the government. There is also a Passionist convent at Lucca whose foundation was predicted by Gemma Galgani, a mystic. On 5 May 1910, five Passionist nuns from Italy arrived inPittsburgh to make the first foundation of their institute in the United States.