An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Knows Anything About Passionist Nuns?

Kateri89

It indeed is a lovely postulant dress.  Most of those today are, well.............pretty bad!  But that's my own opinion as I am, ahem, shall we say, of a "certain age" (think Medicare card) and remember seeing all the wonderful postulant outfits and sisters/nuns habits pre-Vatican II.

It indeed is a lovely postulant dress.  Most of those today are, well.............pretty bad!  But that's my own opinion as I am, ahem, shall we say, of a "certain age" (think Medicare card) and remember seeing all the wonderful postulant outfits and sisters/nuns habits pre-Vatican II.

I'm not quite Medicare age yet and I totally agree. Most of the postulant outfits these days make women look like little girls. The photo above makes that young woman look like a young lady. Much more appropriate for an aspiring sister, IMO.

I wonder if there's deeper psychology behind the changes. So many orders are starved for young women, maybe they infantilize those who come in through dress because they're so desirous for the appearance of youth in the house. But when an older woman is admitted, and is put in a jumper, it's just ridiculous. And demeaning, IMO.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I'm not quite Medicare age yet and I totally agree. Most of the postulant outfits these days make women look like little girls. The photo above makes that young woman look like a young lady. Much more appropriate for an aspiring sister, IMO.

I wonder if there's deeper psychology behind the changes. So many orders are starved for young women, maybe they infantilize those who come in through dress because they're so desirous for the appearance of youth in the house. But when an older woman is admitted, and is put in a jumper, it's just ridiculous. And demeaning, IMO.

Whoa! That's quite a statement!

Many communities use jumpers because many women--of varying ages--don't always look very good in a blouse and skirt. They can look frumpy. Jumpers tend to be simple and 1 size will often do for 1 or 2 sizes. They are neat, blouses not pulling out of skirt band. The older postulant attire was a blouse and skirt with a cape. In many European monasteries one wore one's own clothes and often the cape was added to whatever one wore. This is what Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity wore.

Postulants are not sisters and shouldn't be wearing something that looks like a habit. At one time the postulant clothing didn't look too different from what women "in the world" wore.

I find your thought about older women and jumpers interesting because my experience growing up in the 80's is that older women wore jumpers!

If one is really giving herself to the religious life she isn't going to be too caught up with how she feels about wearing the postulant clothing. I didn't particularly like the jumper as a postulant but I didn't really think about it too much!

The move into jumpers probably came in the 60s-70s when they were popular.

If anything, it can be a great way to grow in humility! :-)

Whoa! That's quite a statement!

Many communities use jumpers because many women--of varying ages--don't always look very good in a blouse and skirt. They can look frumpy. Jumpers tend to be simple and 1 size will often do for 1 or 2 sizes. They are neat, blouses not pulling out of skirt band. The older postulant attire was a blouse and skirt with a cape. In many European monasteries one wore one's own clothes and often the cape was added to whatever one wore. This is what Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity wore.

Postulants are not sisters and shouldn't be wearing something that looks like a habit. At one time the postulant clothing didn't look too different from what women "in the world" wore.

I find your thought about older women and jumpers interesting because my experience growing up in the 80's is that older women wore jumpers!

If one is really giving herself to the religious life she isn't going to be too caught up with how she feels about wearing the postulant clothing. I didn't particularly like the jumper as a postulant but I didn't really think about it too much!

The move into jumpers probably came in the 60s-70s when they were popular.

If anything, it can be a great way to grow in humility! :-)

Yeah, sorry if I offended anyone. I think most people around here know I have a STRONG aversion to jumpers. And I'm not a fashion diva in the slightest. I don't know why I can't stand those things. I just can't! LOL.

I was around in the 80s so I remember what you're talking about. There was a phase when many mature women wore jumpers, especially made of jean material. I think it was more of a country thing. I think I didn't like them even then. ;)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Well, I really, really loathe polyester double-knit and as I look back I'm not sure I could have worn a habit made of that stuff!

I grew up in the country and yes you are right. It seems all the moms were wearing jean jumpers.

I hate to tell you this but I wore jumpers, too! I had jersey jumpers and cotton jumpers. But the postulant jumper I did not like. First it WAS polyester double knit, second it was DARK navy blue and third, I thought it was ugly! It's still in the postulant closet!

It was a great motivation for receiving the habit! :bounce:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, I really, really loathe polyester double-knit and as I look back I'm not sure I could have worn a habit made of that stuff!

I grew up in the country and yes you are right. It seems all the moms were wearing jean jumpers.

I hate to tell you this but I wore jumpers, too! I had jersey jumpers and cotton jumpers. But the postulant jumper I did not like. First it WAS polyester double knit, second it was DARK navy blue and third, I thought it was ugly! It's still in the postulant closet!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you soon have a bunch of postulants in those ugly blue jumpers, who are eager to get past them. :-)

When I enter (assuming I'm accepted) I'll wear whatever the community wants but I'll well over 15 and hope the community wants me to dress like an adult.  Doesn't have to be Prada, doesn't have to be pretty, just dignified and age appropriate.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My Grandmother made most of my clothes and during my junior high years she made EVERYTHING out of polyester double-knit.  I had dresses (with scalloped bottoms--yeah, I know), pantsuits, jackets, etc.  I was always hot, plus I was teased because everybody else was in cotton and bell-bottoms.  I cannot abide polyester to this day. Something can have a little polyester but not much LOL.   When I cleaned out my Grandmother's house after she died I found whole bolts of PDK in very strange color combinations.   Other than her love for PDK, she was the best grandmother ever and I still miss her so much.

I love jumpers and I wish they would come back in (as long as they are cotton!).  Yes, I had several that were denim.  I am old. 

I have always wondered - just what does happen to all those ex-postulant jumpers?

Do they pass them on to the new lot (thought I saw comments from new candidates about making them ready for entry so maybe not) do they get sent to the thrift store?

Do they send them home to Mom?

Seems very wasteful to me for each new group of candidates to have new ones made.

I remember Rev. Mother joking once that if I kept visiting them so much, she'd take me back to the closet where they kept all the postulant jumpers and veils and get me dressed!  And this was in 2009.  Apparently they had them in various sizes and the hems were such that the length could be modified to fit the wearer.  Also, I remember talking to a Postulant at the same visit who being clothed in the next few months and and she was sewing her own habit, veil, collar,  cap, and guimpe.

Yes, the jumpers generally "meet their end" in what Sr. Mary Catherine calls the postulant closet.  We could take one that fit--and use it for cleaning duties (a spare, so to speak).  The used ones were PDK and though hot in the summer, sure remained wrinkle-free! :hehe2:

Several years ago, I was greeted at a Carmel front door by a 62yr old postulant--in a brown jumper & white blouse.  She was so welcoming and kind that what might be considered a more juvenile dress--didn't matter!  She's still there as an extern...loving

Jesus and His people!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I hope you soon have a bunch of postulants in those ugly blue jumpers, who are eager to get past them. :-)

Now they wear a cotton blend! And the blue is nicer! And the cut is nicer.... :saint2:

When I enter (assuming I'm accepted) I'll wear whatever the community wants but I'll well over 15 and hope the community wants me to dress like an adult.  Doesn't have to be Prada, doesn't have to be pretty, just dignified and age appropriate.

This. I think there is something rather strange about dressing grown women in, what looks like, school uniform. Here in the UK a lot of schools have a jumper and skirt as their uniform. I guess it harks back to a time when a lot of postulants came straight from High School. But times have changed. Age appropriate, dignified. modest and practical would be perfect.