An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Knows Anything About Passionist Nuns?

Kateri89

I'm just curious, not discerning.  To my excitement, I found out that there is a convent of Passionist nuns just 15 minutes away from my apartment and I can't believe I never knew this!  I have every intention of going to see their chapel tomorrow and want to know more about who they are.   :yahoo:

ToJesusMyHeart

Saint Gemma was a passionist at heart but was unable to enter the convent due to health problems. I know that doesn't tell you anything about passionist spirituality but I figured if you read about Gemma that might lend you some insight. :)

I interviewed some. Six or seven, I think. Do you have specific questions? They were lovely women. Very different personalities. My overall impression is their charism is to make reparation for the world at the foot of the Cross, beside our Sorrowful Mother.

AveMariaPurissima

I interviewed some. Six or seven, I think. Do you have specific questions? They were lovely women. Very different personalities. My overall impression is their charism is to make reparation for the world at the foot of the Cross, beside our Sorrowful Mother.

How beautiful! <3

I am not sure, but I get the feeling that each Passionist community is a little different in how they live out the charism.  Sort of the way each Dominican and Carmelite house has a slightly different 'flavor' to it.  

So.... it will be interesting to see what you find out when you check out your local monastery!

I second AnneLine's comment. I didn't ask specifically about organizational structure in my interviews, but if I recall correctly, each house is independent and directly under the Pope. I do know that, if you look at the Whitesville house and the Pittsburgh house, they are VERY different. The Pittsburgh house is way stricter in a lot of regards. They sort of have a reputation for being "zealots" among other local religious. Not necessarily in a bad way, just in a "Whoa... They still do that?!" kind of way. ;)

MarysLittleFlower

They are awesome :) They were started by St Paul of the Cross... St Gemma is considered a Passionist Saint as well. There are a number of them :)

graciandelamadrededios

The Passionist has specific charism - different from Carmelites or Dominicans.  It express the the fourth vow prescribed by St. Paul of the Cross and outlined in their Pre-Vatican II Constitutions:

"... so also is it the duty of the aforesaid Nuns; namely, in the first place, to strive after perfection in the love of God by keeping themselves in the love of God by keeping themselves ever in the Divine Presence and by preserving indelibly engraven on their hearts, the most holy Life, Passion and Death of Jesus Christ who was crucified on Calvary's mount for the redemption of the world...."

"..... To these are added the Vow to promote in the hearts of the faithful, devotion of the Most Holy Passion of our Lord,...."

graciandelamadrededios

RULES AND CONSTITUTIONS OF THE NUNS OF THE MOST HOLY CROSS AND PASSION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST (1929)

Chapter III

ON THE DRESS OF THE NUNS

The dress of the Nuns shall be one black tunic of coarse cloth, with a mantle of the same color and material, conformably to the use of the Discalced Clerks of the Passion.

They shall also wear an under tunic of while wool reaching to the knees.  In time of illness, however, the Mother Superior, with the advice of the physician, may permit an under tunic of linen or cotton to be worn by those to whom wool might be injurious.

Other necessary garments are not excluded; hence they may wear beneath the under tunic a small petticoat of ordinary linen and a white handkerchief on the shoulders, folding in front: they shall be allowed to wear a light undergarment during the summer. And a heavy one during winter, of uniform color if possible: also extra sleeves of dark borgonso over the sleeves of the under tunic, and fastened to the top of the corset, besides other pieces at various points inside the habit for protection from cold.

In place of corsets, let them wear stays of linen interlaced with reeds or other material and opening in front, so that they can be easily unlaced in time or repose.

The Professed Choir Nuns shall wear over their coifs a black veil of ordinary silk, or other material conformable to poverty, which falling from the head, will cover the shoulders and reach the knees.

This veil is worn when they approach Holy Communion and when there is a procession, a vestition, or profession, at chapters where the Bishop or his Delegate presides, and finally during the visits of Superiors in the monastery.

They shall also wear a second veil of the same material and color extending to the girdle to cover their faces, when the confessor, physician, surgeon or others must enter the Cloister.  This veil they wear habitually during the day.

The Novices shall wear the white veil during the year of their Noviciate.

They Professed Lay-Sisters shall also wear a black veil over their coifs, which however shall reach only to the girdle.  They can likewise have a second veil more ample, which they will wear in the same circumstances as the Choir Sisters wear the long veil.

Let all wear mantle in cold weather, when they approach Holy Communion, in Chapters for election, and when the Ecclesiastical Superior enters the monastery to make the visitation.

The Nuns shall wear sandals; those who are professed shall wear the sign of the Most Holy Passion on the left side of the habit, and the Choir Nuns, in distinction from the Lay Sisters shall wear this sign also on the mantle.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

The habit of the Passionist Nuns was designed by St. Paul of the Cross himself.  It is very very similar to the Fathers habit except for the white cap and black veil for the professed Nuns.