An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen Fosters Vocations

dells_of_bittersweet

Hmm. I guess there should be some allowance for people choosing worship styles based on personal taste. 

I don't have a problem with someone liking the EF better than the OF. Its not my style, but I guess in fairness Eastern rites aren't my style either. 

The people that have upset me are those who say that the OF is "objectively disordered" and that I am less Catholic than they are for choosing the OF. 

I think there is a big difference between saying that you like a worship style better and saying that your worship style is objectively superior. 

You are backpedalling though. In a separate post you rather sweepingly accused 'trads' of being closed off and basically sanctimonious simply by virtue of the fact that they are attached to the traditional Mass and form groups consistent with this 'preference'. You said that Juventutem is, simply by virtue of the fact that they promote the traditional Mass, unwelcoming and against people who worship in the Pauline form.

Is this not the case after all?

I am a part of one of these traditionalist groups, and your posts certainly applied to me in that sense. I have not attacked your preferences or opinions at any point, so I am put off by your posts.

I've seen that mentality. But usually most in these parts are just as involved as the ones who go ti Lifeteen. Not all trads are rad trads, in fact, most are not. It's those idiots that give the rest of them an undeserved reputation.

Thing is, the EF spirituality is not for everyone. No spirituality is. But we ought to coexist peacefully in the Church, for in the end we profess the same creed.

I was going to say this...though I was going to add that  instead of coexisting  to expose yourself to other forms of Spirituality. And see the good in them to see the full universality of the church, which in my honest opinion is spiritually healthy.

Thus though I am a solid OF, I jumped at the opportunity to go to an EF and though I did not find it as enriching as the OF I still ejoyed it as a new/old school way to worship.

I was going to say this...though I was going to add that instead of coexisting to expose yourself to other forms of Spirituality. And see the good in them to see the full universality of the church, which in my honest opinion is spiritually healthy.

Thus though I am a solid OF, I jumped at the opportunity to go to an EF and though I did not find it as enriching as the OF I still ejoyed it as a new/old school way to worship.

Right. We have uniform beliefs, not necessarily uniform spiritualities. And this has always been the case, and is a healthy thing.

My limited experience with Lifeteen has been the opposite. Out of all the people I knew in high school who went to Lifeteen and were 'serious' about the faith, nearly every single one of them has since become atheist, non-denominational, or 'spiritual but not religious'. Perhaps the program is just particularly bad here in my diocese, but in any case quite frankly where I am the it is just not a positive influence on the Faith.

Correlation =/= causation

• 2 weeks later...
dells_of_bittersweet

You are backpedalling though. In a separate post you rather sweepingly accused 'trads' of being closed off and basically sanctimonious simply by virtue of the fact that they are attached to the traditional Mass and form groups consistent with this 'preference'. You said that Juventutem is, simply by virtue of the fact that they promote the traditional Mass, unwelcoming and against people who worship in the Pauline form.

Is this not the case after all?

I am a part of one of these traditionalist groups, and your posts certainly applied to me in that sense. I have not attacked your preferences or opinions at any point, so I am put off by your posts.

I apologize for crossing the line with my previous remarks. 

I do not have a problem with traditionalist spirituality. And I think you've shown that I was wrong by criticizing get togethers of traditionalists. I apologize. 

I still do think there is a big picture problem with Catholics sectioning themselves off into tribes. John Allen has been lamenting this of late. This is getting to be a completely different topic than Lifeteen, so I'm starting a new thread. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Correlation =/= causation

That's why you're banned, son.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl