An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen Fosters Vocations

dells_of_bittersweet

I typed this on my phone, so I was not able to go into greater detail.

What I was getting at is that my question was a response to the question "do they like the crummy music?" Well I think that how much they like the crummy music may be related in some way (though not causally) to whether or not they take the faith seriously.

By inference are you saying that 30% of todays Seminiarans do not take the faith seriously?

People sobbing and throwing themselves on the ground?  Wow.

More stories, please, everyone.  Here, I'll add mine:

I went to some sort of youth adoration/prayer service in mexico once - my host family took me.  I spoke barely any spanish at the time.  I don't remember how it started, but it ended with everyone was jumping around, even the priest on the altar.  I wasn't jumping around, - I had zero idea what was going on.  I just read my book.  I don't remember if there was a band.   Some kid came over and told me I wouldn't find Jesus in a book.  I just said "no hablo espanol."  The whole thing was very unpleasant for me.

Having lived near a hispanically dominated area that could be more a Spanish thing though and not related to Lifeteen at all.  The spanish people, priests tend to be MUCH more expressive in even the "quiet" 8am mass.  The old german church...8am Mass?  you could hear a pin drop and practically had to dust the participants by the end of mass they were so still.

Having lived near a hispanically dominated area that could be more a Spanish thing though and not related to Lifeteen at all.  The spanish people, priests tend to be MUCH more expressive in even the "quiet" 8am mass.  The old german church...8am Mass?  you could hear a pin drop and practically had to dust the participants by the end of mass they were so still.

This is very true. The Hispanic culture is much more high energy than ours when it comes to their masses. My brother sang in a mariachi band at a Hispanic mass and they all got "very into it" according to him.

He actually really enjoyed the Spanish masses.

Basilisa Marie

Falling asleep in the Spirit and speaking in tongues are a things that are real. But they're also faked by people who are trying to fit in or be dramatic.  So... context is key? 

That's interesting that you say that you didn't like adoration at a Steubenville conference, Crosscut, because before I went to one of those I thought adoration was just something boring old ladies did.  The whole experience totally jumpstarted my spiritual life.  :hehe2:  Now I can't imagine doing a retreat for teens and not including what we'd call the Catholic Triple Threat - Confessions, Adoration, and Mass.  

I've never really liked Matt Maher, but I've also never really liked most Christian music. It always felt too "nice" and lacking in genuine emotion, or originality ("Yes, Jesus is King, yes, He saves us...your lyrics are exactly like the other hundred Christian artists out there").  So I was drawn more toward stuff like some of Brandon Heath and Skillet and Five Iron Frenzy and old 90s stuff like DC Talk and Newsboys and Switchfoot. 

Really, I think kids like what they're going to like, and they're only going to like stuff that they've been exposed to. I like some 90s Christian rock not because I was a teenager in the 90s, but because that's what my youth minister had on hand.  If kids have only been taught hymns from a particular genre, how can we expect them to appreciate anything different?  Hence, why I think exclusive "teen" centered masses are dangerous. Used on occasion, especially if you're teaching them about the liturgy (how to plan it, what the parts are, how to be a good liturgical minister, etc), they can be a great supplement to a great program. But if they fully replace attendance at the "normal" community liturgy...you're going to get kids who don't know what to do when they have to start going to "normal" mass, and they'll stop going. 

By inference are you saying that 30% of todays Seminiarans do not take the faith seriously?

Did I say that? Does not sound like something I said.

Falling asleep in the Spirit and speaking in tongues are a things that are real. But they're also faked by people who are trying to fit in or be dramatic.  So... context is key? 

That's interesting that you say that you didn't like adoration at a Steubenville conference, Crosscut, because before I went to one of those I thought adoration was just something boring old ladies did.  The whole experience totally jumpstarted my spiritual life.  :hehe2:  Now I can't imagine doing a retreat for teens and not including what we'd call the Catholic Triple Threat - Confessions, Adoration, and Mass. 

Wait, so is adoration at these conferences silent?  Or is there stuff like CC describes?  This is interesting. 

Really, I think kids like what they're going to like, and they're only going to like stuff that they've been exposed to. I like some 90s Christian rock not because I was a teenager in the 90s, but because that's what my youth minister had on hand.  If kids have only been taught hymns from a particular genre, how can we expect them to appreciate anything different?  Hence, why I think exclusive "teen" centered masses are dangerous.

>>> they're only going to like stuff that they've been exposed to

I'd venture you are right.  The generational differences in taste result from what was popular during their development?  Not from teens liking different music from old folks? 

At the parish down the road we'll ocassionally sing at daily mass and it's the old ladies that pick the IMO cheesy music and the younger people that choose to sing traditional/latin hyms. 

>>> Hence, why I think exclusive "teen" centered masses are dangerous.

Interesting. Never thought of that.

dells_of_bittersweet

Wait, so is adoration at these conferences silent?  Or is there stuff like CC describes?  This is interesting. 

Basically, adoration at any Lifeteen retreat is very very similar to what goes on at a Steubanville Conference. Intense periods of silence punctuated by meditative worship music. 

I am sometimes in charge of planning the music for these types of events. In an hour I might play 5 or 6 songs. 

During the silent time, people may choose to express their emotions, but it varies. Its a personal choice things. I've seen large numbers of people laughing and crying during the quiet prayer time. Others in the same room will just worship Jesus quietly. Sometimes people will group together and whisper a group prayer. People are welcome to worship Jesus in whatever manner they feel drawn to. 

I usually play songs like Lord I Need You, Restless, Facedown by Matt Redman, and others of a similar style. Look them up on worshiptogether.com if you think were turning adoration into a rock concert. It couldnt be further from the truth. 

This is very true. The Hispanic culture is much more high energy than ours when it comes to their masses. My brother sang in a mariachi band at a Hispanic mass and they all got "very into it" according to him.

He actually really enjoyed the Spanish masses.

Yes, I think what I saw was "charismatic", not "hispanic", but I think you are probably right that on average hispanic cultures are more inclined to this. 

I like spanish masses too.  75% have the same hymns and melodies and the ones they use are more quaint "old-sounding" to me than what I hear at english novus ordo masses.

I've never really liked Matt Maher, but I've also never really liked most Christian music. It always felt too "nice" and lacking in genuine emotion, or originality ("Yes, Jesus is King, yes, He saves us...your lyrics are exactly like the other hundred Christian artists out there").  So I was drawn more toward stuff like some of Brandon Heath and Skillet and Five Iron Frenzy and old 90s stuff like DC Talk and Newsboys and Switchfoot. 

Really, I think kids like what they're going to like, and they're only going to like stuff that they've been exposed to. I like some 90s Christian rock not because I was a teenager in the 90s, but because that's what my youth minister had on hand.  If kids have only been taught hymns from a particular genre, how can we expect them to appreciate anything different?  Hence, why I think exclusive "teen" centered masses are dangerous. Used on occasion, especially if you're teaching them about the liturgy (how to plan it, what the parts are, how to be a good liturgical minister, etc), they can be a great supplement to a great program. But if they fully replace attendance at the "normal" community liturgy...you're going to get kids who don't know what to do when they have to start going to "normal" mass, and they'll stop going. 

Im glad you had a good experience with it! In the end its all personal taste I think. I didnt feel spiritually lifted in those atmospheres, I felt cheated because to me, the music created a false atmosphere that put all these emotions inside me...not God.

I usually play songs like Lord I Need You, Restless, Facedown by Matt Redman, and others of a similar style. Look them up on worshiptogether.com if you think were turning adoration into a rock concert. It couldnt be further from the truth. 

I might not like the music, but I wouldn't judge you for it. 

On the other hand, people making noise during the 'silent' parts of adoration?  That would be a big turn-off for me.  I need silence for meditation / mental prayer. 

And honestly, that's why I find some of this stuff odd.  I know people say speaking in tongues and what not is the "tradition of the church", but where is any of that outside of the first century?  Where is that in the lives of the saints?  Not saying it's not there, I just haven't seen it. 

I have gone to adoration quite a bit in my lifetime (which granted isnt that long)and I have never seen speaking in tongues outside of these teen events.

I also havent heard of it happening from others outside of a teen event.

Edited by CrossCuT

I have gone to adoration quite a bit in my lifetime (which granted isnt that long)and I have never seen speaking in tongues outside of these teen events.

I also havent heard of it happening from others outside of a teen event.

Really?  It's more of a Charismatic thing, but I've seen it in all sorts....especally when there are loads of people

Ah, I guess the only times Ive gone to adoration on a large scale would have been the teen events from high school. Every other time its less than 10 people in a small chapel.

Ah, I guess the only times Ive gone to adoration on a large scale would have been the teen events from high school. Every other time its less than 10 people in a small chapel.

I've seen crying at chapel adoration quite often...and eyes closed in total self giving---what either is old age or slain in the spirit.

not saying it can't happen but if the gifts of the spirit happen to maybe 1/200 people.  In a chapel with less than 10 people it'd be very, very rare. 

However, at a large event...of 3,000 people (like steubenville) it can be a large number, especially when many of those have just been to confession so are on a spiritually clean slate. (and teens being teens)

Thats how I've always figured it.

Edited by blazeingstar