An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lifeteen Fosters Vocations

dells_of_bittersweet

dells_of_bittersweet

According to the Lifeteen website, 30% of all U.S. seminarians credit Lifeteen with helping to hear the call to the priesthood. (http://lifeteen.com/donate/) Pretty impressive. In my diocese its probably higher actually. The two parishes with lifeteen have close to half the vocations. 

My limited experience with Lifeteen has been the opposite. Out of all the people I knew in high school who went to Lifeteen and were 'serious' about the faith, nearly every single one of them has since become atheist, non-denominational, or 'spiritual but not religious'. Perhaps the program is just particularly bad here in my diocese, but in any case quite frankly where I am the it is just not a positive influence on the Faith.

Ironically, the diocesan parish out of which Lifeteen is primarily based here had to purchase a new building, and the SSPX bought, gutted, and completely remodeled their old church. I tell you what, it looks much better now. :hehe:

Basilisa Marie

I think this shows that if you have good Catholic programming that is run well, you'll see loads of great spiritual fruit.  But if you don't make quality faith formation a priority, you're not going to get any results. 

dells_of_bittersweet

My limited experience with Lifeteen has been the opposite. Out of all the people I knew in high school who went to Lifeteen and were 'serious' about the faith, nearly every single one of them has since become atheist, non-denominational, or 'spiritual but not religious'. Perhaps the program is just particularly bad here in my diocese, but in any case quite frankly where I am the it is just not a positive influence on the Faith.

Ironically, the diocesan parish out of which Lifeteen is primarily based here had to purchase a new building, and the SSPX bought, gutted, and completely remodeled their old church. I tell you what, it looks much better now. :hehe:

Its all about the people running it. Sounds like your diocese has a weak program.

However, I will say that liberals are a small minority of the people involved in the Lifeteen leadership. Outside a few places that are behind the times, the adult leaders are spiritually alive and doctrinally orthodox. 

Also according to the people I knew in that program, they had very closely affiliated themselves with the charismatic movement, so who knows to what extent that affected things.

It really does depend on the parish.  I think Lifeteen is good because it can take chaperones and parents who know nothing and teach them the faith along with the kids.  Parishes with Lifeteen seem to have huge RCIA populations.

I do know a parish that was mediocre at best, did it's own thing often (including kids on/around the alter during mass) BEFORE Lifeteen ever started...so ofcourse this continued with Lifeteen.  When Pope JP2 corrected Lifeteen the parish tried to tell Lifeteen that going around the alter was a charism of their parish and they wouldn't stop as they'd done it since the 70's.  Lifeteen threatened to pull their license if they were not in obedience with the church.  The teens themselves responded to the issue and prevented children from going up onto the alter during one of the Masses with lots of children.  The priests heard the message loud and clear that the kids were not going to risk Lifeteen to continue disobedience to the Church, not matter how 'cultural' or 'traditional' it was to them.

People did leave the parish, but the parish, now something like 15 years into the lifeteen program, is a much stronger parish than the others in the towns nearby and its known for being very solid.

Basilisa Marie

Also according to the people I knew in that program, they had very closely affiliated themselves with the charismatic movement, so who knows to what extent that affected things.

I think it's less about the charismatic movement in itself and more about the common ideas that are had by a lot of the more...iffy...charismatics.  You know, like fluffy spirituality.  Like two results of the same problem, if you get what I'm saying.  People who are attracted to the fancy and emotional parts of charismatic spirituality are also attracted to stuff like rock band masses and teaching people that "Jesus loves you!" but that's it. 

Bad Vatican II theology, basically... says the dirty Vatican II lover.  :hehe2:

Basilisa Marie

It really does depend on the parish.  I think Lifeteen is good because it can take chaperones and parents who know nothing and teach them the faith along with the kids.  Parishes with Lifeteen seem to have huge RCIA populations.

Hmm, I wonder what their retention rates look like? I've noticed that some places that are really great and reeling in the numbers for RCIA drop the ball when it comes to Mystagogy.  I wonder if anyone's done a study on life after RCIA and what works and what doesn't. 

I think it's less about the charismatic movement in itself and more about the common ideas that are had by a lot of the more...iffy...charismatics. You know, like fluffy spirituality. Like two results of the same problem, if you get what I'm saying. People who are attracted to the fancy and emotional parts of charismatic spirituality are also attracted to stuff like rock band masses and teaching people that "Jesus loves you!" but that's it.

Bad Vatican II theology, basically... says the dirty Vatican II lover. :hehe2:

No complaints here.

The Bus Station

LifeTeen fosters the knowledge of four chords on a guitar:

G           C       Em         D

Shout    to      teh      Lawd!!  :cry:

dells_of_bittersweet

I don't have a problem with the Lifteen Mass, when done appropriately. But, it very much often isn't. I know a priest who currently sits on a national Lifeteen board where they are trying to clean up the Lifeteen Mass. 

Basilisa Marie

To be fair, you only need three for most pop music. :)

I don't have a problem with the Lifteen Mass, when done appropriately. But, it very much often isn't. I know a priest who currently sits on a national Lifeteen board where they are trying to clean up the Lifeteen Mass. 

To be fair, you only need three for most pop music. :)

Not for nothing but the 90's and 2000's music of lifeteen is really no better than the 60's-70's and 80's music in 99% of Catholic churches.  "I will raise you up on Eagles wings?" and "kingdom of glory"?  Really?  Atleast "Shout to the Lord" is clear about things.