An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary

Ancilla Domini

• 1 month later...

Not visiting. I was scheduled for a Carmelite live-in a month earlier and I thought I'd better tell the Benedictines what the Carmelites were worried about before I made a 1500 mile round trip. The following conversation ensued (edited drastically for clarity and brevity), and with my sense of humor I thought it was kind of funny so I decided to post it:

Carmelites: "You're VERY reserved."

SilentJoy: "God made a joke. I'm too silent for a Silent Order."

Benedictines: "Oooooh. Maybe you shouldn't come, then."

Carmelites: "It wasn't really your silence that was the problem..."

SilentJoy: "It wasn't?"

Bendictines: "Well, that's different, then! We'll look forward to seeing you."

Carmelites: "...some of us sort of wondered if you might have a touch of autism!"

Benedictines: "AAAAAA!!! Pleeeease stay home!!!"

Seconding Max! One, autism isn't a definite barrier to community life, and two, how do they even know to decide before they meet you?!

Will they not wait and meet you before deciding SJ? 

As I understood it, they were concerned because their life would require a little more of the "extroversion" factor than that of the Discalced Carmelites, and they didn't want to entertain hope if it seemed imprudent. I am a little relieved that I don't have to drive that far.

(And no, they didn't use the words "AAAAAAA!!! Pleeeease stay home!!!"  :hehe2: They were very kind and not at all dismissive.)

maximillion

Dont tell before you meet with a community, so they can make an assessment based on YOU rather than a pre-conceived notion......

Dont tell before you meet with a community, so they can make an assessment based on YOU rather than a pre-conceived notion......

I know that NOW. This was back in March before I knew that yet. But now I am so very subtle...  :flex:

Seconding Max! One, autism isn't a definite barrier to community life, and two, how do they even know to decide before they meet you?!

They were concerned about the introversion before they heard the other; if I'd been more of an extrovert, perhaps no one would have worried about a little freckle of autism.

They are such a beautiful order and Mother Cecelia is such a dear!  She sums up their life so well and makes you want to jump up and apply :)

inperpetuity

It's true, Mother Cecelia seems wonderful.  I have been thinking about writing to them again.  I spent a lot of time visiting with them in the beginning when they were in Pennsylvania and there were only six of them  but decided that applying for entrance wasn't the thing to do at the time. 

ChristinaTherese

If I was discerning now, I'd be on a plane to them PDQ!

Bach. (Or does nobody understand that reference?)

ETA: Or maybe, being VS, we needn't bring PDQ Bach into things....

Edited by Christina Thérèse