An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines Of Mary

Ancilla Domini

Ancilla Domini

Hello, all.

From posts that I read before I joined VS, I know that a few of you have contacted or visited the Benedictines of Mary. Are there any of you here who are still considering them? This thread is for anything related to the Benedictines of Mary - pictures, videos, personal experiences, etc. I haven't yet met anyone who is considering them, and I would be happy to talk about them here with others.

I don't know if anyone has posted a thread like this before, (it's very likely that someone has) but I haven't seen it.

In Corde Matris,

Ancilla Domini

VeniJesuAmorMi

I don't know much about them, except from everything I have heard and the videos that I've seen and they seem to be wonderful. They are still receiving good vocations which is always a good sign when communities are having steady entrances. :) Here are some threads I found about experiences on the retreats and other info (some videos.):

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/119439-my-week-with-the-benedictines-of-mary-queen-of-the-apostles/#.UozWTyAo5Ms

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/120876-retreat-with-benedictines-of-mary/#.UozXoyAo5Ms

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126261-first-professions-benedictines-of-mary/#.UozYAyAo5Ms (beautiful video of First Professions!)

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/116957-benedictines-of-mary/#.UozYVCAo5Ms

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/128307-alton-franciscans-visiting-benedictines-of-mary-pictures/#.UozZGyAo5Ms

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/124203-benedictines-of-mary-new-novices/#.UozZTiAo5Ms

There are more links. What you could do is type in "Benedictines of Mary" in that little search bar at the top of the page, right side (it says google custom search.) The links I posted were from the first page, but I saw some others when I went to the second page. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ancilla Domini

Ave Maria!

Has anyone else here visited the Benedictines of Mary? I wrote to Sister Scholastica, and asked her if you ought to come with some sewing knowledge, and she said that no, they provide classes. I also heard someone say once that in her visit, there is "sewing day." I'm assuming they'll give you some sort of a quick lesson beforehand? I haven't the smallest modicum of sewing knowledge (although I'm really good at those sorts of hand-crafts).

Also, if any of you have any miscellaneous bits of information to share, that would be lovely. For example, how hot does it get in Missouri in the summertime? Do they have special work habits? That sort of thing.

Thank you. :)

In Corde Matris,

– Cilla

Edited by Ancilla Domini

• 2 weeks later...

I love this community, from their website. Any idea if they might be open to considering discerners slightly older than 28?

Also, on their "contact us" form, they suggest sending snail mail to the Novice Mistress. How does one address a Novice Mistress - will "Dear Sister" do, or should there be more formality?

I have a rather trivial question. I know when they had their big vow day a couple years back, they received the blue and red veils. Initially they said they were going to wear them for Mass, the major offices, and lectio. Does anyone know if they still have these veils because they haven't shown up in any of their pictures since.

That was the plan of the previous prioress, (inho a pretty impractical one; they'd be swapping in and out of veils all day long) and it seems to have been put aside. 

Ancilla Domini

I love this community, from their website. Any idea if they might be open to considering discerners slightly older than 28?

Also, on their "contact us" form, they suggest sending snail mail to the Novice Mistress. How does one address a Novice Mistress - will "Dear Sister" do, or should there be more formality?

One calls a Novice Mistress "Sister." I asked a priest before I wrote. I didn't want to make a mistake on my first letter. :)

One calls a Novice Mistress "Sister." I asked a priest before I wrote. I didn't want to make a mistake on my first letter. :)

Not on the first letter, that might be a bad move!!  :sos:

Thanks for the advice.

Not on the first letter, that might be a bad move!!  :sos:

Thanks for the advice.

It's only once you've actually entered that you'd call the Novice Mistress anything other than "sister". However, if you're not convinced on the letter writing front, you might try "Dear Mistress of Novices".

I wouldn't worry too much about the letters I'm sure they have gotten much weirder letters.
I once left such an awkward email the local community couldn't even figure out my name and had to ask the VD :blush:

I've got all the previous CD's of the nuns, so now I'm going to order this one!  I play the Advent and Christmas at Ephesus all year long - liturgically correct?  I think not!  Aesthetically and devotionally beautiful  any time :)

Ancilla Domini

I've got all the previous CD's of the nuns, so now I'm going to order this one!  I play the Advent and Christmas at Ephesus all year long - liturgically correct?  I think not!  Aesthetically and devotionally beautiful  any time :)

Haha! I listen to their Adeste Fideles through the summer. :hehe2: It's too good a song to only listen to once a year. :D