An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wal-mart Defends Controversial Food Drive For Employees

CrossCuT

So the minimum wage simultaneously caused 60% youth unemployment in Spain and less than 10%in Germany? 

Interesting

So the minimum wage simultaneously caused 60% youth unemployment in Spain and less than 10%in Germany? 

Interesting

not what my post said.  read again.

not what my post said.  read again.

Your entire post consisted if "right...which has resulted in this.  Graph"  Your previous post also didn't make a substantive economic argument. You just asked some questions with the apparent belief that a colorful graph and some Econ 101 jargon would confuse people into thinking that you had made an argument. 

Your entire post consisted if "right...which has resulted in this.  Graph"  Your previous post also didn't make a substantive economic argument. You just asked some questions with the apparent belief that a colorful graph and some Econ 101 jargon would confuse people into thinking that you had made an argument. 

Keep re-reading.  You are getting closer.

And yes, in my first post this AM, I was not trying to make an argument.  I was just asking questions and using "economics jargon" to help my fellow Catholics think about how they should approach this issue. 

I hope that isn't a problem.  I'd hope this is preferrable to just sharing my opinion without any evidence or corraborrating theory.

Edited by NotreDame

I understand the desire to help people and at first a "living wage" might seem like a good idea at first, but do economics and experience agree?  What has historically been the best solution to bring people out of poverty? 

A market economy buttressed by Keynesian spending programs and a strong social safety net.

and while I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement... Is a living wage actually part a "A market economy buttressed by Keynesian spending programs and a strong social safety net"?   I think it could be, but it's not intrinsic to Keynesianism or, by definition, a social safety net, is it?

Keep re-reading.  You are getting closer.

Since you obviously have no substantive response I'll just save us both some time and accept your surrender.  

and while I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your statement... Is a living wage actually part a "A market economy buttressed by Keynesian spending programs and a strong social safety net"?   I think it could be, but it's not intrinsic to Keynesianism or, by definition, a social safety net, is it?

Not necessairly.  And if our ruling class had more imagination and boldness there would be preferable policy prescriptions to poverty and our nation's general decline into economic serfdom.  But since they don't and since a modest increase in the minimum wage"a good would outweigh the harm, despite graphs convincingly portraying Greek youth unemployment as very high and German youth unemployment as much lower and other European countries as falling somewhere in between, I say go for it.

>>> I think it could be, but it's not intrinsic to Keynesianism or, by definition, a social safety net, is it?

>>> Not necessairly.

I was asking a question.  "Not necessarily" is a response appropriate to a statement.  

I guess what you view as surrender, I view as patience. 

>>> I think it could be, but it's not intrinsic to Keynesianism or, by definition, a social safety net, is it?

>>> Not necessairly.

I was asking a question.  "Not necessarily" is a response appropriate to a statement.  

I guess what you view as surrender, I view as patience. 

I was agreeing with you.  No, a minimum wage is not necessairly a part of a strong social safety net.  And I would say that better social safety nets could be designed wich exclude the minimum wage altogether.  

Youre not not being patient.  You were attempting to be condescending and now you're being disingenuous.  If you have a point or assertion to make just make it.

I was agreeing with you.  No, a minimum wage is not necessairly a part of a strong social safety net.  And I would say that better social safety nets could be designed wich exclude the minimum wage altogether.  

Youre not not being patient.  You were attempting to be condescending and now you're being disingenuous.  If you have a point or assertion to make just make it.

OK, well, we are obviously just talking past each other at this point, which may be fault, so I'm glad we agree on something and I hope others find the links and questions useful. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

A better saftey net, as in better funded social services ? Works pretty well in australia. Though as ed would say there are some bludgers whom abuse the system but not all, that's pretty easy to fix, you have random drug tests and work on a reward and discipline system of loose some for being bad regain what you have lost for being good, which australia doesn't have yet but i would like to see it in the future for the government benefits.

southern california guy

I used to work as a truck driver for Wal Mart, and I definitely heard the criticisms.  They would put a Super Wal Mart in a small town -- and drive the other supermarkets out of business.  And people would go and work for Wal Mart.  But Wal Mart would only pay about half of what the old supermarket paid, and in many cases only give the employees part-time work -- so that they didn't have to pay the employee benefits.  They would play "games" at Christmas time and other holidays -- they would cart a "sale" item out on the floor for a certain time period, then yank it back off.  They would advertise a "sale" on say microwaves, but only one brand of microwave had a marked down price and sometimes it was tricky to figure out which one.  And often times their prices were no better than the competition -- however many people assumed that they were getting a better price and did not take the time to compare.  

Don't confuse the modern Wal Mart with the chain that Sam Walton started.  Whether they "should" or "should not" be allowed to run they way they do -- people still have a right to criticize and complain.  That is free speech.  And there is nothing wrong with taking your business somewhere else.

Edited by southern california guy