An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wal-mart Defends Controversial Food Drive For Employees

CrossCuT

Maybe Wal-Mart can take a cue from McDonalds and help their employees budget their money!  Budgeting is something that is crucial, especially when you make a Wal-Mart type wage. 

This is something McDonald's provided in an attempt to help.

Not ALL big corporations are BAD!!!

mcdonalds.png.CROP_.article568-large.png

All that would be well and great if America wasn't a laggard in education.  As a global power we barley make the top 20.  Thats one of the worst scores for a developed nation.

That and we may not always need manual jobs as heavily as we do now.  If we were to tariff China to get them to pay their employees minimum wage, the cost of goods would rise enough for US manufactures to outfit their factories with robots and hire an estimated 1/10 to 1/30 of the manpower needed in China, Indonesia, or other countries.

So in your mind, because our country is failing at educating its citizens well enough its ok to pay them a wage thats so low they cant live off of it?

Isnt that just adding to the problems? Seems like we are literally just screwing an entire class of people twice and you appear to be ok with that. (at least the wage portion)

Maybe Wal-Mart can take a cue from McDonalds and help their employees budget their money!  Budgeting is something that is crucial, especially when you make a Wal-Mart type wage. 

This is something McDonald's provided in an attempt to help.

Not ALL big corporations are BAD!!!

McDonalds is actually a great first job, they promote from within and I know a lot of successful people who have told me the "customer first" service philosophy they learned at McDonalds was the foundation for a lot of their success going forward.  The fact that they'd even try to explain to their employees how to budget shows they go above and beyond in that respect... after all, I doubt there are many public schools out there teaching basic econ and money mgmt anymore. 

So, it's silly to paint McDonalds as BADDDDD for trying to explain budgets to their employees. 

However, it's quite alright to call McDonalds pure evil for feeding us Pink Slime and calling it hamburger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqKl4Q3hW4

So in your mind, because our country is failing at educating its citizens well enough its ok to pay them a wage thats so low they cant live off of it?

Isnt that just adding to the problems? Seems like we are literally just screwing an entire class of people twice and you appear to be ok with that. (at least the wage portion)

Yep, there are enough solutions to both problems that anyone who is truly upset about not being paid enough has the resources to fix it.

I am not going to "screw over" anyone but I am very clear on the fact that anyone who looks for solutions will find them.

I work at a nontraditional educational organization with students in the tends of thousands and have a student who is not academically gifted, nor socially graceful but figured out within one term that the math skills he learned enabled him to work someplace other than McDonalds.   Infact, I have many students like this.  No family support, low income, living in a very high poverty area---they work their way up.  They work 2 jobs.  They go to school one class at a time.  When you talk about social justice, I feel like they would be the hardest hit by blindly raising mimum wage.

They would be further trapped in a life of dependence on an employer.   Everyone pays $15 an hour?  Why leave?  Why improve?  You now have your basic needs met, plenty of luxury items, you can raise a kid on your own. Why be further educated?  Why try?

Yep, there are enough solutions to both problems that anyone who is truly upset about not being paid enough has the resources to fix it.

I am not going to "screw over" anyone but I am very clear on the fact that anyone who looks for solutions will find them.

I work at a nontraditional educational organization with students in the tends of thousands and have a student who is not academically gifted, nor socially graceful but figured out within one term that the math skills he learned enabled him to work someplace other than McDonalds.   Infact, I have many students like this.  No family support, low income, living in a very high poverty area---they work their way up.  They work 2 jobs.  They go to school one class at a time.  When you talk about social justice, I feel like they would be the hardest hit by blindly raising mimum wage.

They would be further trapped in a life of dependence on an employer.   Everyone pays $15 an hour?  Why leave?  Why improve?  You now have your basic needs met, plenty of luxury items, you can raise a kid on your own. Why be further educated?  Why try?

You neglect to consider that they are involved with your educational organization. Do you think your educational organization could accommodate every person working at Wal-Mart and McDonald's and all the other comparable establishments?

Again, we get lucky breaks in this life. Like discovering your educational organization.

McDonalds is actually a great first job, they promote from within and I know a lot of successful people who have told me the "customer first" service philosophy they learned at McDonalds was the foundation for a lot of their success going forward.  The fact that they'd even try to explain to their employees how to budget shows they go above and beyond in that respect... after all, I doubt there are many public schools out there teaching basic econ and money mgmt anymore. 

So, it's silly to paint McDonalds as BADDDDD for trying to explain budgets to their employees. 

However, it's quite alright to call McDonalds pure evil for feeding us Pink Slime and calling it hamburger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqKl4Q3hW4

I have know quite a few people who have worked at McDonalds as well as two siblings...they all hated it.

You have to accept the fact that everyone is different. And that means that some people learn and acquire skill sets more slowly than others, and in fact some people are simply not able to learn certain skill sets. Hard work and overcoming obstacles should always be encouraged and supported, but it is important that we don't treat people with low skill sets like second class citizens and force them to live in poverty.

Forcing someone into poverty to encourage them to work harder is not only backwards but extremely immoral and unchristian like in my opinion.

And let's not forget that not everyone has the same educational opportunities or time availability. Most minimum wage workers are parents, many with more than one child. That means they're not only providing for themselves, but for others. Working a 60 hour week while raising children doesn't leave much time to advance one's education or acquire new skill sets. If you work 40 or more hours in this country, you shouldn't be living in poverty. I don't care what your job is.

Edited by CrossCuT

You neglect to consider that they are involved with your educational organization. Do you think your educational organization could accommodate every person working at Wal-Mart and McDonald's and all the other comparable establishments?

Again, we get lucky breaks in this life. Like discovering your educational organization.

Actually thats what we aim to do.  And with the competition in the market, it really is possible.

I have know quite a few people who have worked at McDonalds as well as two siblings...they all hated it.

You have to accept the fact that everyone is different. And that means that some people learn and acquire skill sets more slowly than others, and in fact some people are simply not able to learn certain skill sets. Hard work and overcoming obstacles should always be encouraged and supported, but it is important that we don't treat people with low skill sets like second class citizens and force them to live in poverty.

Forcing someone into poverty to encourage them to work harder is not only backwards but extremely immoral and unchristian like in my opinion.

And let's not forget that not everyone has the same educational opportunities or time availability. Most minimum wage workers are parents, many with more than one child. That means they're not only providing for themselves, but for others. Working a 60 hour week while raising children doesn't leave much time to advance one's education or acquire new skill sets. If you work 40 or more hours in this country, you shouldn't be living in poverty. I don't care what your job is.

I do accept that everyone is different.  I do not accept the fact that everyone should be paid the same.

And you are incorrect that "most" have children.  At best, it's 60%...just over half

http://www.dol.gov/dol/aboutdol/history/herman/reports/futurework/conference/lowwage/section3.htm

This profile of low-wage workers finds that:
Over one-quarter of all workers are low-wage workers.
Only one in ten workers are low-wage/low-income workers.
Only one in twenty workers are low-wage/low-income workers with children.
Low-wage/low-income workers are a diverse group--compared to all workers, they are disproportionately likely to be unmarried without children and to be single mothers:
2 out of five low-wage/low-income workers are unmarried without children;
Almost one-quarter are single mothers.
Compared to all workers, low-wage, and low-wage/low-income workers work fewer hours and have less education.
Low-wage/low-income workers are disproportionately located in the South and in rural areas.
Low-wage/low-income workers are more likely to work in retail trade and less likely to work in manufacturing than workers in general.
While Hispanics and recent immigrants are more likely to be low-wage/low-income workers than workers in general, they represent a small portion of the total number of low-wage/low-income workers.
Edited by blazeingstar

I do accept that everyone is different.  I do not accept the fact that everyone should be paid the same.

I agree on both counts. 

Nobody is suggesting that a burger flipper make the same wage as a manager (which I have said half a million times if you care to go back and read). All we want is for the burger flipper who works 40 hours a week to not be forced to live in poverty.

And you are incorrect that "most" have children.  At best, it's 60%...just over half

ROFLROFL

Oh only HALF of the workers in the US are underpaid with children? well then heck, its ok!!!

Said no one ever.

Edited by CrossCuT

I remember when I drove to Houston to pick up refugees from Hurricane Katrina.  They were staying at Reliant stadium and I had volunteered to pick them up and drive them to family in San Antonio.  There were two people, a guy and a woman, both in the their 20's.  They were surprisingly open about their life experiences.  They both had smoked crack.  I think one or the other had some needle marks.  They had both been shot and had the scars to prove it.  The guy had only left new orleans on one other occassion and that was to go upstate to prison.  

The woman, on the other hand, had been out of state before.  She worked as a prostitute in Vegas off and on she said.  She preferred Vegas to New Orleans on account of getting raped by a police officer at gun point.  She knew her kids were with her ex-husband, but had no idea where exactly.

Yet despite all of this, she had quite a positive outlook.  She had quit drugs.  Quit prostitution.  She even got a job... at McDonalds.   She didn't have much luggage with her, but she made a point to tell me that she brought her McDonalds uniform with her and was hopeful that in Texas she'd be able to quickly find work at another McDonalds to help her continue on the path toward getting her life together.

Edited by NotreDame

I agree on both counts. 

Nobody is suggesting that a burger flipper make the same wage as a manager (which I have said half a million times if you care to go back and read). All we want is for the burger flipper who works 40 hours a week to not be forced to live in poverty.

As we've stated before the problem with "poverty" especially in this modern world is that it's very subjective.  When budgeting a person can meet basic needs food, clothing, roof....and only the most basic needs of themselves...on minum wage in most American municipalities.  I don't think thats a bad thing even if its "poverty"

I agree on both counts. 

ROFLROFL

Oh only HALF of the workers in the US are underpaid with children? well then heck, its ok!!!

Said no one ever.

You claimed "most"  your claim is FALSE.  This is not "most"

As we've stated before the problem with "poverty" especially in this modern world is that it's very subjective.  When budgeting a person can meet basic needs food, clothing, roof....and only the most basic needs of themselves...on minum wage in most American municipalities.  I don't think thats a bad thing even if its "poverty"

Its not subjective, its individual...theres a big difference. 

Also Id like to add that the insignificant number (60%) that you pointed out about underpaid workers with children equals out to be around 3.75 million people. Do you really not care?

You think keeping a wage that leaves them in poverty is a good thing? That it will help them better themselves? Sick.

"Oh well there are that many black people in America so slavery is ok."

I agree on both counts. 

ROFLROFL

Said no one ever.

And I'm not saying it's ok.  I'm saying that with the population of low wage workers (not underpaid in my book) that kids are a concern with barely half of that population.  Single parenthood is only a concern with less than 1/3 of that population (25% moms, 7% dads).  My point is "its for the children" ala Ned Flander's wife from the Simpsons is much overdrawn.

When it comes to children I think that IS where its ok for social supports to step in, in particular subsidized housing, as I think that is one of the factors that are the greatest barrier to parents.  A single person can live in a studio apartment.

Its not subjective, its individual...theres a big difference. 

Also Id like to add that the insignificant number (60%) that you pointed out about underpaid workers with children equals out to be around 3.75 million people. Do you really not care?

You think keeping a wage that leaves them in poverty is a good thing? That it will help them better themselves? Sick.

"Oh well there are that many black people in America so slavery is ok."

The poorest person in America is better off than most of the rich in something like 80% of the world.  Poverty is subjective.

And again, not underpaid in my book.

I happen to think minimum wage is more than enough for the work that is done.  There are ways to earn more money, find a better job, get education, take on more hours.  

Your comparison to slavery is what's sick.  You are comparing paid workers, who are paid enough for their own basic needs, to people who were beaten and owned.  That is repulsive.