An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wal-mart Defends Controversial Food Drive For Employees

CrossCuT

Apparently your desire to dictate the behavior of others extends beyond Walmart's management to my use of my own energy?   It's just too bad we couldn't put you in charge of everything.  I'm sure the world would be a much better, more compassionate place.  I mean, what could go wrong.

I second this motion!! PUT ME IN CHARGE AND ILL MAKE THE WORLD A NICER PLACE

Ferrari, unicorn, fondue fountain, gold plated toilet.

Just to list a few

I was asking the question in all serious honesty and this is your response?

I'll try a little more specifically
1 bedroom apartment by themselves?
Cell phone? data plan?
Car? Less than 5 years old?
Eat in a restaurant more than once a week?
Etc.

I was asking the question in all serious honesty and this is your response?

I'll try a little more specifically
1 bedroom apartment by themselves?
Cell phone? data plan?
Car? Less than 5 years old?
Eat in a restaurant more than once a week?
Etc.

Ive already supplied a link involving minimum wage in regards to simply owning a 2 bedroom apartment... unless a small family wants to cram into a 1 bedroom (which Im sure some do because they cant afford much more)...and depending on the state people would have to work 80+ hrs/week to afford just that alone....not even including anything else. 

But regardless if I type out a list of things I believe are basic essentials it wont matter. Its futile to discuss these things on PM as Ive grown to notice. What did i expect anyway...my fault.

Ive already supplied a link involving minimum wage in regards to simply owning a 2 bedroom apartment... unless a small family wants to cram into a 1 bedroom (which Im sure some do because they cant afford much more)...and depending on the state people would have to work 80+ hrs/week to afford just that alone....not even including anything else.

But regardless if I type out a list of things I believe are basic essentials it wont matter. Its futile to discuss these things on PM as Ive grown to notice. What did i expect anyway...my fault.

I guess it's rough when people disagree and challenge others. It's why "butt-hurt" was coined.

A two bedroom apartment is a luxury for a single person. So if I marry and want kids, my employer has to pay me more? Edited by Anomaly

Wait...shouldn't 2 bedrooms contain 2 adults.  2 adults working 40 hours each...isn't that 80 hours?

And if there is one adult, plus kids, then thats when it's ok for social services to step in.

Honestly, it is pretty ridiculous to try to discuss it with the bourgeois on this board.  If you had done some reading you'd know discussion is pointless and won't get you anywhere.  

After reading through some of the comments, I could not resist adding my own .02 cents. I have spent most of my life under employed and for most of that time I have actively looked for a second job but I have never been able to find 2 jobs to work at the same time. And as far as not working hard at my last job I lived with an elderly lady and only had part of the day off 2 days a week. I usually had to stay up with her until after 11:00 pm and get up by 6:30 am.

Honestly, it is pretty ridiculous to try to discuss it with the bourgeois on this board.  If you had done some reading you'd know discussion is pointless and won't get you anywhere.  

Yeah because everyone who has an opinion of the working poor must never of been poor.   Sure, I'm a rich fat cat who has no idea what I'm talking about.

Yeah...

...right....

Wait...shouldn't 2 bedrooms contain 2 adults.  2 adults working 40 hours each...isn't that 80 hours?

And if there is one adult, plus kids, then thats when it's ok for social services to step in.

You are right!!!

Only the problem is that while two adults working 40hrs a week at minimum wage could definitely afford a 2 bdrm apartment they wouldnt be able to afford anything else since all of their money is going towards their living arrangement. Which means they couldnt pay for food, transportation, medical expenses, clothes, family etc.

I guess it's rough when people disagree and challenge others. It's why "butt-hurt" was coined.

A two bedroom apartment is a luxury for a single person. So if I marry and want kids, my employer has to pay me more?

Haha Im glad you changed that...I agree that a two bedroom apartment for a single person IS a luxury...but single people are a very small percentage of the problem.

We are not talking about singles who have no one to care for but themselves,...they are usually just fine with a lower paying job because they have few expenses.

The majority of the people in the category that suffers in this case would be single mothers. But besides them there are families as well with multiple children who are trying to make a living to support a family. A two bedroom apartment is NOT a luxury for them. They need to be able to make enough to afford acceptable living conditions, food, clothing, transportation, medical expenses, and a reasonable amount of recreation.

Again, Im not suggesting family size has anything to do with minimum wage..not sure where you came up with that. Like I have said numerous times, I believe that the minimum wage that is legally acceptable to pay people should be enough for them to afford basic necessities within reason that I have mentioned in the above paragraph. 

After reading through some of the comments, I could not resist adding my own .02 cents. I have spent most of my life under employed and for most of that time I have actively looked for a second job but I have never been able to find 2 jobs to work at the same time. And as far as not working hard at my last job I lived with an elderly lady and only had part of the day off 2 days a week. I usually had to stay up with her until after 11:00 pm and get up by 6:30 am.

So what is your point with your story?

Haha Im glad you changed that...I agree that a two bedroom apartment for a single person IS a luxury...but single people are a very small percentage of the problem.

We are not talking about singles who have no one to care for but themselves,...they are usually just fine with a lower paying job because they have few expenses.

The majority of the people in the category that suffers in this case would be single mothers. But besides them there are families as well with multiple children who are trying to make a living to support a family. A two bedroom apartment is NOT a luxury for them. They need to be able to make enough to afford acceptable living conditions, food, clothing, transportation, medical expenses, and a reasonable amount of recreation.

Again, Im not suggesting family size has anything to do with minimum wage..not sure where you came up with that. Like I have said numerous times, I believe that the minimum wage that is legally acceptable to pay people should be enough for them to afford basic necessities within reason that I have mentioned in the above paragraph. 

Minimum wage, in most municipalities is enough for 1 adult to have a roof, the very most basic food, and clothing if they are smart about it.  In NYC, San fran, Boston or Seattle minimum wage might not be on par.

You are twisting two things.  One is that this demographic is more likely to have occurrences of single parents.  But that's not the employers fault.  I would be livid if my employer paid my co-worker another say, 10k more annually, just because she had a kid with a fling when our work was equal.  

You have kids that you need a 2nd room for, then let daddy government fill in the gaps.

Family size is brought up because of your examples of need. Obviously a single person can live cheaper than a person with children. If minimum wage pays Bob Bachelor the same as Mary Singlemom with two children, doesn't Bob make out like a bandit?

Pay is tied to your effort and value to the enterprise. If you were in a group project and you did all the research, attended all the group meetings, would you resent the one person who contributed nothing but showed up at half the meetings and brought donuts once getting as much credit in the final grade? What about a long term project that took years?

The "basic needs" as defined in a first world country are far different than the basic needs in third world countries. 1 bedroom with your own kitchen and a toilet is plenty for a family of 6+ to be quite honest. Are they living the high life? Heck no, but when it comes to basic needs they are protected from the weather, they can feed themselves, they have a place for waste disposal and basic hygiene. If they want to play, there's lots of outdoors.

My family of 4 all share one bedroom right now. We have an extra bedroom for our extra stuff, but if we were really needed to we could get by on 400 square feet. Right now we have 880sf.

It's obvious that the only moral thing to do is to have a national ammendment to set minimum wage at $50/hour.  That way everyone can afford to live a decent life.   It's only corporate greed that's stopping that from happening.  I mean, there aren't any rational arguments against it.