An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have Charity One For Another

Dominican Nuns Menlo Park

Br+Thomas+One+Mind+and+Heart1.jpg

The heart of Dominican life is brotherly (or sisterly) love[1]. The Order of Preachers is one of the unique Orders in the world that has a familial relationship among its branches, friars, nuns, laity, apostolic sisters, associates, and volunteers under the umbrella of the Dominican family.

The fraternal element in our Dominican spirituality emphasizes the value of common life where the friars or the nuns have ample opportunities to do mortification and sacrifices for the salvation of souls. The community life also offers protection to its members through the vows, the habits, and the enclosure.[2] While community life at times can be difficult due to human failings or when personalities clash, community is a great source of strength and blessing because by living in it peacefully, we become the eschatological sign of what our life will be like in Heaven. Furthermore, in our monastery, community life provides an environment of solitude and silence which are conducive to prayer and contemplation.

Since the beginning of the Order, St. Dominic nurtured a fraternal relationship between the friars and the nuns by personally taking care of the spiritual needs of the nuns.  This fraternal care continues until this day by the friars of our Order. So as we celebrate the feast of our brother Albert today, we give praise to God and gratitude to our friars for supporting our spiritual needs faithfully and for being our true brothers after the example of our holy father St. Dominic.

We pray especially for all the Dominican brothers at St. Albert's Priory, and ask God, through the intercession of St. Albert, to send us many more vocations!
“A prayer which begins with such a tender greeting cannot fail to be a loving and intimate one. Because of this, in the preceding Gospel God is said to be with us and to see us in secret because God is both intimate and loving. If it were otherwise, we would not have access to God. And therefore the Only-begotten Son, by whose Spirit we are adopted, is said to be in the bosom of the Father.”
(From the Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew of St Albert the Great)

st+albert+3.jpg Window of St. Albert Priory in Oakland, CA.

[1] [2] Fr. William Hinnebusch, O.P, Dominican Spirituality: Principle and Practice

I had been to the Church of the Nativity so many times.  I knew something was across the street, but didn't know it was you guys!  What else is over there? 

I had been to the Church of the Nativity so many times.  I knew something was across the street, but didn't know it was you guys!  What else is over there? 

Yah, it's us nuns over here.  What else do we have?  Come and See :).  Adore Jesus any time you wish, all day! We have the Blessed Sacrament exposed from after Mass till 5:30 p.m. You can also attend daily Mass at 8:00 a.m., mid morning prayer after Mass and Vespers at 5:00 p.m.

Mary+Immaculate<3

Yah, it's us nuns over here. What else do we have? Come and See :). Adore Jesus any time you wish, all day! We have the Blessed Sacrament exposed from after Mass till 5:30 p.m. You can also attend daily Mass at 8:00 a.m., mid morning prayer after Mass and Vespers at 5:00 p.m.

Are you cloistered? I'd love to come and visit but I'm much too far away.

Are you cloistered? I'd love to come and visit but I'm much too far away.

Yes, we are cloistered nuns.  Stop by and see us when you are in town. :)

Yah, it's us nuns over here.  What else do we have?  Come and See :).  Adore Jesus any time you wish, all day! We have the Blessed Sacrament exposed from after Mass till 5:30 p.m. You can also attend daily Mass at 8:00 a.m., mid morning prayer after Mass and Vespers at 5:00 p.m.

Are men allowed? 

I used to go to adoration at a building of franciscan nuns.  I loved it because it was so quiet!!!  I find that in the area (or at public parishes in general, even across the street at Church of the Nativity) adoration doesn't always mean silence.  I love mental prayer, but am sort of a beginner, so silence makes it much easier.

Also, what other catholic stuff is on the street?  There's Nativity, you guys, the school.  Is that it?   I always saw lots of interesting buildings that looked like *something* but was never sure what.

• 2 weeks later...

Are men allowed? 

I used to go to adoration at a building of franciscan nuns.  I loved it because it was so quiet!!!  I find that in the area (or at public parishes in general, even across the street at Church of the Nativity) adoration doesn't always mean silence.  I love mental prayer, but am sort of a beginner, so silence makes it much easier.

Also, what other catholic stuff is on the street?  There's Nativity, you guys, the school.  Is that it?   I always saw lots of interesting buildings that looked like *something* but was never sure what.

Sorry, forgot to respond to you.  The Chapel is opened to the public so everyone is welcomed (the nuns are inside separated by the grilles).  People comes in and out all day because it is very quiet. 

We have Vallombrosa Retreat Center across the street, St. Raymond church staffed by the Dominican friars, Stanford university and hospital, Stanford shopping mall, Facebook headquarters, St. Patrick's seminary, Center for Performing Arts, and many more and all is within walking distance.  You'll have to walk around and go inside to see it all :).

God bless you.

Thanks!  Didn't know about the retreat center... Or the dominicans down the road either.  I did know about all the other stuff in the area.  Lived there quite a bit.  However I spent most of my time in the diocese of San Jose and only recently discovered the diocese of San Francisco.  From the outside you'd never expect the diocese of San Francisco to be so orthodox and traditional, but it is - especially compared to the diocese just to the south.  I only wish I had gone north to visit those churches sooner!