An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Scapular

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I have a question about the Scapular. I know that the brown scapular of the Carmeiltes ha s been modified so that lay people (and priests) can wear it. However, I'm wondering how this applies to other religious orders who wear one. Many other orders wear a scapular (of other colors and fabrics), so do these "count"? Our Lady wanted the brown scapular to be made of brown wool, but do all Carmelites still make them with wool (it's really hot and some Carmelites live an active/contemplative life). So for example if I were to enter Sisters of Life or DSMME would I need to wear a brown scapular, even though SOL wear a blue one and DSMME wear a white one?

God bless y'all!

Yes, you would need to wear the brown scapular under the habit of your Order (assuming you aren't Carmelite). The scapulars of other Orders are holy items and are usually blessed (hence why you often see the Sisters kiss their scapulars; most notably, the DSMMEs do this a lot) but it's the Sabbatine Privilege that is attached to the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel specifically that makes it something desirable to wear, even when the wearer already has a habit (and a scapular) of a different Order. I know numerous Sisters (including myself, formerly) of other non-Carmelite Orders, including some very well-known ones, who wear the brown scapular under their habits.

Kylie Spinelli

I will definitely keep my devotion to the Brown Scapular even if I don't enter with Carmelites. And also my obsession of seeing the time as 12:51 and calling for St. Simon Stock's intercession... LOL Yeah, Catholic Problems. 

DiscerningCatholic

The scapulars of other Orders are holy items and are usually blessed (hence why you often see the Sisters kiss their scapulars; most notably, the DSMMEs do this a lot) but it's the Sabbatine Privilege that is attached to the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel specifically that makes it something desirable to wear, even when the wearer already has a habit (and a scapular) of a different Order. 

There's a lot of scapular-kissing that goes on with the DSMME (ETA: I think it may be a sign of their obedience, if I recall correctly)...they also don't sit on their scapulars because they're blessed. Do other orders (Carmelites, SOL, etc.) move their scapulars before they sit as well or does it vary by community?

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

ToJesusMyHeart

Do other orders (Carmelites, SOL, etc.) move their scapulars before they sit as well or does it vary by community?

SOL indeed move them and do not sit on them. They kiss them too.

Remember, though too, that some (maybe most) Carmelite nuns, despite wearing their habit scapular, also wear a regular scapular - sometimes you can see the cords pinned to the outer scapular.

Is this so they can wear one while they are sleeping? Maybe it's just easier to leave the smaller one on?

They have both a night scapular and a smaller one they wear under their day habit.  Maybe one of our former Carms can comment...

Is this so they can wear one while they are sleeping? Maybe it's just easier to leave the smaller one on?

They have both a night scapular and a smaller one they wear under their day habit.  Maybe one of our former Carms can comment...

Mary+Immaculate<3

Good to know y'all! I didn't even think about sisters taking off their (big) scapulars when they sleep, lol!

Mary+Immaculate<3

There's a lot of scapular-kissing that goes on with the DSMME (ETA: I think it may be a sign of their obedience, if I recall correctly)...they also don't sit on their scapulars because they're blessed. Do other orders (Carmelites, SOL, etc.) move their scapulars before they sit as well or does it vary by community?

I was wondering about that. Do the DSMME and other orders do that all the time, or only when in chapel? I mean of I were a SOL or DSMME I feel like I'd gets order most of the time to not sit on it while in the classroom/counseling/in class/on a plane, etc. Do you know in which settings sitting the scapular is "okay"?

DiscerningCatholic

I think the DSMME only kiss their scapulars when they're at their motherhouse chapel. They never sit on their scapulars, as far as I know. 

I know with the dominican brothers it just seemed automatic for them to sweep their scapulars out of the way and onto their lap as they sat down. It didn't matter if they were in the chapel or not. 

DiscerningCatholic

^^^ It's like a reflex for the sisters. :hehe: I started to not even notice it after a while since they always did it.

Yes, we were not supposed to ever sit on our scapulars. Even after I left, I used to sweep my hand behind my back to reach for the scapular (which, obviously, was no longer there) ... it was almost like a reflex, haha!