An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is A Vocation?

BarbTherese

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this.  Thanks!!  Especially liked the part about how everybody kind of belongs to everybody else.  I am not exactly qualified to debate it.  :unsure:

Edited by Comingback

Hi CB - I am not qualified to debate anything at all ............ truth is.  But I took a leap and put this into debate as I know vocation per se can be a hotly debated subject and I really liked the video I posted.

I too especially noted with joy that the video states that we are not islands - we are all connected in community somehow, even those living the eremitical or hermit life.  We are communal beings.  We belong to each other and others belong to us.  I am indeed "my brother's keeper".  This knowledge fits in beautifully with the doctrine of The Mystical Body of Christ on earth and in Heaven, Purgatory - as beautifully and very clearly explained by St. Paul  I also identified very much in the video with how all the factors in one's life are drawn into "vocation".  In the doctrine of God's Divine Providence, nothing whatsoever is accidental or 'fate' - these simply do not exist for the Catholic Christian....all is a work of The Holy Spirit.........all is God's Divine Providence and providing and most often will indicate through implication to a large degree that state to which He is calling one in life.

Thank you for the post, CB.  I thought the thread was dying a natural death through lack of interest.  So much for expectations! :)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Communio (summer 2010, "Living and Thinking Reality in its Integrity", David L. Schindler). 

16: "There is much that needs to be sorted out here. A state of life, properly understood, gives objective form to an "existential" as distinct from "office-bearing" participation in Christ's eucharistic love. Each of the baptized participates in Christ's Eucharist both existentially and "officially", in the sense that ordained priests are always first members of the Church, and that all members of the Church, by virtue of their Baptism, exercise a priestly office, manifest, for example, in the capacity themselves to baptize in certain circumstances. This emphatically need not, and does not, imply attenuation of the clear and profound difference between the laity and the ordained priesthood. What I mean to emphasize here is simply that a state of life, for example, consecrated virginity, is as such not a clerical state. It seems to me that an awareness that this is so opens the way to a deepened appreciation for the state of consecrated virginity as a distinctly lay state, recognized already officially by the Church in Pius XII's Provida Mater, and indeed in Vatican II's renewed teaching regarding the laity and their "wordly" vocation. My statement is also meant to carry the implication that the vowed life of the three evangelical counsels, which expresses the gift of one's whole self- possessions, body and mind- indicate the most objectively fitting existential form for the priest's office-bearing participation in the Eucharist and the sacramental life of the Church. But again, all of this needs more sustained development that can be offered in the present forum. For a reflection on the relation of the life of the evangelical counsels and the vocation of the laity, see Balthasar, Laity and the Life of the Counsels (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2003).
17: The suggestion here that there are only two states of life [consecrated virginity or sacramental marriage] raises many questions within the Church today. On the one hand, there is the common perception that the priesthood as such is a state of life, which in the proper sense it is not. On the contrary, it has its sacramental-ontological reality as an office, indeed as an office that, as I have suggested, bears an objective fittingness for a vowed life of the three evangelical counsels. On the other hand, there is also an increasing tendency today to affirm that singleness as such can qualify as a state of life. But neither is this properly so, because a state of life requires saying forever to God in a vowed form. And the character of this vow that constitutes a state of life has its ultimate foundation in the dual character of the human being's original experience, in original solitude and original unity, or filiality and nuptiality, both of which have their center in God. A state of life, properly speaking, is the mature person's recuperation in freedom of one's call to fidelity to God forever, which occurs either through consecrated virginity, and thus remaining "alone" with God; or through marriage, and thus promising fidelity to God forever, through another human being. But it is nevertheless crucial to see here that the single life, if not (yet) actualized by either of these vows, does not thereby remain merely in a kind of neutral place where one remains suspended in a mode of inaction and unfulfillment. On the contrary, as we have indicated, there is a call for the gift of one's whole self implicit already in the act of being created: and this call is immeasurably deepened in the act of being baptized. The point, then, is that this call is actualized in the tacit and mostly unconscious fiat which, in receiving creation, and in turn the new creation in Christ, already begins one's participation in a promise of the gift of one's self to God. The call to be faithful to God forever with the wholeness of one's life is implied, and is already initially realized, in a natural form, at one's conception, and again, in a supernatural form, at one's Baptism. As long as one remains single, then, the relevant point is that one can already begin living the fiat of total availability to God, and, in this sense, realize the fundament of what becomes a state of life when recuperated in the maturity of one's freedom in the form of a vow of consecrated virginity or marriage. What one is meant to do as long as one is single, in other words, is to live one's total availability: to wait with active availability for God's will. Of course, it has to be recognized that humanity, and the cosmos as a whole, exists in a deeply disordered condition by virtue of sin. And therefore it has to be recognized as well that the call objectively to a consecrated state of celibacy or to marriage may never be historically realized- as is the case that everything in the cosmos exists in a broken condition, sometimes a seriously disordered condition that must be accepted, even with much suffering. 

Thank you NO .............

"But it is nevertheless crucial to see here that the single life, if not (yet) actualized by either of these vows, does not thereby remain merely in a kind of neutral place where one remains suspended in a mode of inaction and unfulfillment. On the contrary, as we have indicated, there is a call for the gift of one's whole self implicit already in the act of being created: and this call is immeasurably deepened in the act of being baptized.   The point, then, is that this call is actualized in the tacit and mostly unconscious fiat which, in receiving creation, and in turn the new creation in Christ, already begins one's participation in a promise of the gift of one's self to God. The call to be faithful to God forever with the wholeness of one's life is implied, and is already initially realized, in a natural form, at one's conception, and again, in a supernatural form, at one's Baptism. As long as one remains single, then, the relevant point is that one can already begin living the fiat of total availability to God, and, in this sense, realize the fundament of what becomes a state of life when recuperated in the maturity of one's freedom in the form of a vow of consecrated virginity or marriage. What one is meant to do as long as one is single, in other words, is to live one's total availability: to wait with active availability for God's will."

.......... :)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

The video was posted by: 

I looked at the website and the group does not seem to be Catholic.  The ideas in it are certainly not what the Catholic Church teaches about vocations to the religious life.  In fact, unless I missed something, the video wasn't particularly Christian...  It sounded more like they were talking about choosing a career. 

On a slightly different point, is the "hot debate" you mention the question around "is being single a vocation?"

Thank you NO .............

[...]

.......... :)

IMO a good way to describe that state would be "dynamic tension", albeit with the disclaimer that one is not meant to remain in that state of dynamic tension.

On the one side there is a pull towards consecrated virginity, and on the other towards marriage. Both intrinsically valuable, both pleasing to God, but one being in theory more suited for that particular person.

The video was posted by: 

I looked at the website and the group does not seem to be Catholic.  The ideas in it are certainly not what the Catholic Church teaches about vocations to the religious life.  In fact, unless I missed something, the video wasn't particularly Christian...  It sounded more like they were talking about choosing a career. 

On a slightly different point, is the "hot debate" you mention the question around "is being single a vocation?"

Hi ND :)  - No, I did not intend the debate to be about being single. It just so happened that I read what NO had posted and liked the part about the single vocation - although I do think that in the debate forum especially, I think that The Spirit can indeed blow wherever He May as to subjects raised.

I know that the video was not Catholic per se.  Because something is not Catholic doesn't mean to me that there can be no valuable input at all..  I felt and still do feel  that the video had positive input and a very good way of considering vocation per se - not any particular vocation however, nor anything really to say about how one would go about discerning the various vocations.

Barb :)

IMO a good way to describe that state would be "dynamic tension", albeit with the disclaimer that one is not meant to remain in that state of dynamic tension.

On the one side there is a pull towards consecrated virginity, and on the other towards marriage. Both intrinsically valuable, both pleasing to God, but one being in theory more suited for that particular person.

I don't have time just now to go into details.  Undoubtedly, when one is still unaware of what one's vocation in life might be, there is tension between virginity (or chastity) and marriage.  I do feel strongly (probably since I fall into the category) that some may be called to the lay celibate (single) vocation outside of a consecrated way of life.  This call by vocation to the lay celibate state outside of the consecrated state is recognized by The Church and from Rome.  My apologies, but I don't have the time just now to go back into my files and post the quotations with links (Vatican Documents). One of these Documents, incidentally, is pre V2. This thinking does embrace those who may have impediments to both consecrated life( or consecrated virginity or consecrated chastity) and the marriage vocation - often this can come about outside the person's volition due to illness.   We ALL have a vocation.  The 'terms' of the single celibate vocation are spelt out in The Apostolate of The Laity.  I will post the link later probably tonight sometime.  (4.41pm Sat 16.11.13 here in Sth Aust)

As I said in my previous post, I never intended the thread debate the particular vocations, rather simply what IS a vocation.  But again as I posted previously, let The Spirit blow wherever He May.  Amen.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I don't have time just now to go into details.  Undoubtedly, when one is still unaware of what one's vocation in life might be, there is tension between virginity (or chastity) and marriage.  I do feel strongly (probably since I fall into the category) that some may be called to the lay celibate (single) vocation outside of a consecrated way of life.  This call by vocation to the lay celibate state outside of the consecrated state is recognized by The Church and from Rome.  My apologies, but I don't have the time just now to go back into my files and post the quotations with links (Vatican Documents). One of these Documents, incidentally, is pre V2. This thinking does embrace those who may have impediments to both consecrated life( or consecrated virginity or consecrated chastity) and the marriage vocation - often this can come about outside the person's volition due to illness.   We ALL have a vocation.  The 'terms' of the single celibate vocation are spelt out in The Apostolate of The Laity.  I will post the link later probably tonight sometime.  (4.41pm Sat 16.11.13 here in Sth Aust)

As I said in my previous post, I never intended the thread debate the particular vocations, rather simply what IS a vocation.  But again as I posted previously, let The Spirit blow wherever He May.  Amen.

IMO what you seem to be describing falls under this:

Of course, it has to be recognized that humanity, and the cosmos as a whole, exists in a deeply disordered condition by virtue of sin. And therefore it has to be recognized as well that the call objectively to a consecrated state of celibacy or to marriage may never be historically realized- as is the case that everything in the cosmos exists in a broken condition, sometimes a seriously disordered condition that must be accepted, even with much suffering. 

IMO what you seem to be describing falls under this:

Of course, it has to be recognized that humanity, and the cosmos as a whole, exists in a deeply disordered condition by virtue of sin. And therefore it has to be recognized as well that the call objectively to a consecrated state of celibacy or to marriage may never be historically realized- as is the case that everything in the cosmos exists in a broken condition, sometimes a seriously disordered condition that must be accepted, even with much suffering. 

Yes, that's it, I thought I read in your quotation something that would indicate a calling to the single celibate state.  All to often such a situation is not recognized as a call and vocation from God to the single celibate state and many are left floundering with a sense of "no vocation".  Because the single celibate state is not recognized often (though more now than a few years ago) as a potential call and vocation from God, the single celibate state is in our general Catholic culture often dismissed, or treated dismissively.

Hence many do indeed experience no other alternative but a condition that "must be accepted" and with indeed much suffering.  There is a failure to grasp the whole situation within Divine Providence and an indication from God of His call and vocation.  This is not a fault of Catholic theology which speaks otherwise and is a doctrine of The Church, rather of a persistent consciousness in our Catholic culture - and an inaccurate persistent consciousness contrary to our doctrine of Divine Providence.

An indication of God's call and vocation to a person can come about not only through positive circumstances, but also through the negative circumstances.

This is one of the reasons that I liked the video in that one takes into account life circumstances, which have not occurred willy nilly, nor by 'fate' but in the terms of the Doctrine of Divine Providence (The Permissive Will of God), our negative dispositions can also be a positive indication permitted by God of vocation and call from Him.

Under the doctrine of Divine Providence, there is no such thing for the Catholic Christian as 'fate' or accident of circumstance(s) - all is The Holy Spirit at work in some way - and no work or circumstance in life is apart from Him, save sin.  As an addition: It needs to be remembered too that a good Confession will place one in that state of Grace as if the sin had never occurred in the first place. The Infinite Loving Mercy of God at every single turn is a cause for really humble gratitude and awe.

I have just finished dinner after returning home.  I will come back later I hope and post those Documents and the quotations that refer to the single celibate state as a valid vocation, including one from pre V2.

But my intention for this thread was "What is Vocation?" and how one can recognize vocation - not a specific vocation but in a general sense.  But if The Spirit leads us astray from those topics, I aint gonna argue! :)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Since the subject of the lay celibate vocation (single life) has been raised, I am posting as I said I would quotations from some Vatican Documents - and also some very reliable Catholic sources.

I think it not so and contrary to our theology and Church Teaching that a call and vocation to the lay celibate state can only come about through some sort of impediment to either marriage, priesthood or the consecrated state.  Some can be called, although I think it probably rather rare, to the lay celibate state as their life vocation and always ideally affirmed by spiritual direction and on an ongoing basis.

Lumen Gentium HERE
(Dogmatic Constitution on The Church)
“Likewise, the holiness of the Church is fostered in a special way by the observance of the counsels proposed in the Gospel by Our Lord to His disciples.(13*) An eminent position among these is held by virginity or the celibate state.(231) This is a precious gift of divine grace given by the Father to certain souls,(232) whereby they may devote themselves to God alone the more easily, due to an undivided heart. (14*) This perfect continency, out of desire for the kingdom of heaven, has always been held in particular honor in the Church. The reason for this was and is that perfect continency for the love of God is an incentive to charity, and is certainly a particular source of spiritual fecundity in the world”
(Notice that the above is stated under the sub heading of “The Universal Call to Holiness” and not “The Consecrated Life” and there is no mention of vowing the evangelical counsels, nor virginity nor the celibate state, merely the faithful observance of these states in life responding to a singular Grace and for the sake of The Kingdom and in a response to “a precious gift of Divine Grace given by The Father to certain souls”)

Vita Consecrata (The Consecrated Life)
HERE
“We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration.”
(Notice that the above is stated under the sub heading of Thanksgiving for The Consecrated Life and in a papal Document dealing with consecrated life only. Notice also that after mentioning the officially consecrated states, there is no mention of an official consecration by The Church in connection with those who “in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration” – and this can be a private and secret from all dedication of their lives to God in the lay celibate state.)

Other reliable and sound Catholic resources of Catholic teaching

Catholic Culture is a well known reliable and sound Catholic resource of Church teaching “Lay celibacy was practiced already in the early Church. The men were called ………” read on HERE
This article is from Catholic Online and another known reliable source of Catholic teaching. The article is not long and worth a read in full. Title: “The Single Lay Vocation” HERE

Here is an interesting comment I came across from Fr. J. Hardon SJ (Real Presence Assoc. website) :
http://www.therealpresence.org/archi...s_Life_033.htm

Quote:
"There is a fourth category contemplated by the Holy See in anticipation of the new Code of Canon Law, so that something may be done for the thousands of women who seem not to want religious life yet seem to want to live especially dedicated lives in the Church. The secular institutes are a recent development of the Catholic Church. If there would be a fourth category, it would be some form of what we now call “secular institutes,” but the implications still have to be worked out."

And as promised from pre V2 days:

Sacra Virginitas

ENCYCLICAL OF POPE PIUS XII
ON CONSECRATED VIRGINITY

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_25031954_sacra-virginitas_en.html

6. And while this perfect chastity is the subject of one of the three vows which constitute the religious state,[9] and is also required by the Latin Church of clerics in major orders[10] and demanded from members of Secular Institutes,[11] it also flourishes among many who are lay people in the full sense: men and women who are not constituted in a public state of perfection and yet by private promise or vow completely abstain from marriage and sexual pleasures, in order to serve their neighbor more freely and to be united with God more easily and more closely.

7. To all of these beloved sons and daughters who in any way have consecrated their bodies and souls to God, We address Ourselves, and exhort them earnestly to strengthen their holy resolution and be faithful to it.

BT, I'm glad I posted earlier, if only because it brought me back to read all the great info you posted! 

>>> This is one of the reasons that I liked the video in that one takes into account life circumstances, which have not occurred willy nilly, nor by 'fate' but in the terms of the Doctrine of Divine Providence (The Permissive Will of God),

This was another thing I didn't like about the video.  Because something happened doesn't make it the will of God. Total tangent, but  I'm sensitive to this because I've had some run-ins with shady sects within the Church and they always use the "You are here" and "it must be the will of God" to cut through skepticism... But I'm going to use this as an excuse to go read more about it. 

You know, I never realized there was such a debate about the single life vocation when there is so much in the new testament exhorting people not to marry.   I'll be thinking about this more and will read the articles you linked to.  I'm now sure I don't have a vocation to priesthood or religious life and I'm getting on in years... and I'm in a position where I am probably a few years from being able to get married if I wanted to.  Hmm...

I recognize the consecrated celibate single as a vocation, but IMO the unconsecrated single life does not constitute a vocation.

I recognize the consecrated celibate single as a vocation, but IMO the unconsecrated single life does not constitute a vocation.

Not too sure what you mean by consecrated and unconsecrated single life, NO.  If you mean by "unconsecrated single life" those who embrace the lay celibate state "for the sake of The Kingdom" dedicating themselves to Jesus and His Gospel and privately outside of any form of publicly consecrated life in The Church, then Vita Consecrata (The Consecrated Life) by Pope John Paul II says otherwise in his Apostolic Exhortation quoted below ............ and note that his comments come under "Thanksgiving for The Consecrated Life".  He terms those who are not in the publicly consecrated life formally by The Church as having made a "special consecration" i.e. they are not in the "unconsecrated single life" if I am understanding your terminology correctly.  :)

Vita Consecrata (The Consecrated Life)

POST-SYNODAL
APOSTOLIC EXHORTATION
VITA CONSECRATA
OF THE HOLY FATHER
JOHN PAUL II
HERE

Thanksgiving for the consecrated life

2. Because the role of consecrated life in the Church is so important, I decided to convene a Synod in order to examine in depth its significance and its future prospects, especially in view of the approaching new millennium. It was my wish that the Synodal Assembly should include, together with the Bishops, a considerable number of consecrated men and women, in order that they too might contribute to the common reflection.

We are all aware of the treasure which the gift of the consecrated life in the variety of its charisms and institutions represents for the ecclesial community. Together let us thank God for the Religious Orders and Institutes devoted to contemplation or the works of the apostolate, for Societies of Apostolic Life, for Secular Institutes and for other groups of consecrated persons, as well as for all those individuals who, in their inmost hearts, dedicate themselves to God by a special consecration