An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Lay Person

Zoe1188

Sponsa-Christi

Catherine Therese,

Your example is a good illustration of what I meant when I said that a woman who can't enter (or remain in) religious life could possibly have a vocation to consecrated virginity in spite of whatever made religious life impossible, but not because of it. Discerning out of religious life and then finding one's true vocation to consecrated virginity in God's providential ordering of circumstances is very different from seeking to become a consecrated virgin because it seems like the only possibility left.

Also, I know I'm probably getting annoying by repeating myself so often, but a call to consecrated virginity is a lot more than simply a call to live a consecrated life apart from a religious community. Living independently is only one very small (and in my opinion, somewhat accidental) aspect of this vocation. Consecrated virginity involves a whole tremendous, unique spirituality which needs to be actively embraced. 

This is meant as loving advice from someone who's "been there" before (and is not directed specifically at anyone here), but in my own opinion, a woman should only say she's seriously discerning consecrated virginity if she's at least: 1. read the actual Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity; 2. can articulate in a positive way what attracts her to this charism in particular. 

Sponsa-Christi

After re-reading my last post, I wanted to clarify---I'm NOT telling anyone not to discern consecrated virginity. (Like I said earlier, seeing other women consider this vocation is a real blessing overall!) I do, however, want to encourage discerners to be sure that they're looking into consecrated virginity for the right reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update,

I am still looking into religious communities as well as doing research on consecrated life. I am going to a "come and see" weekend with the Salesian Sisters who can work with student loan debt.

Hi Zoe---

I have friends that are Secular Franciscans.  Its a great choice for lay people.  I don't know any consecrated virgins, but how wonderful would that be!!!!  But, I also know many religious communities that accept vocations with medical conditions such as the one you have.  The Poor Clares  have a final professed sister who has a worse condition and must take lithium.  They accepted her with that condition.  A second Poor Clare monastery took in a postulant with cancer.  She died within three years.  She was a novice, but they professed her right before her death.  I know several women with Lupus who were accepted into communities. 

And there is a Poor Clare Monastery, where a woman, who had been in a congregation  for many years left her congregation and later entered the PCC's.  But she left the Poor clares as a novice.  Later, she came back and asked if she could live in a trailer on their grounds.  They let her live in their enclosure garden.  She is not in any vows.  She is  a lay person who lives a hermit-like life.  The nuns built a bathroom and shower into one of their garages for her to use.  

I just want you to know that religious life is not necessarily closed to you because of your medical condition.  Many communities would consider and give you a chance, especially if they get to know you first.  Established convents and monasteries, with generous benefactors, wouldn't be as concerned about the medication expense, but more concerned with whether your condition would prevent you from living their life to the fullest.

I intentionally did not name the communities, but would in a personal message.