An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Life Before Entering The Convent

Julie de Sales

Julie de Sales

I wonder if there are some problems in the spiritual life of a discerner that could prevent her/him from entering a convent. For example, I heard that some religious communities ask discerners to be in a state of grace at least two years before joining. Do you believe this rule is common? Or I think about dealing with scruples, or spiritual dryness, or doubts about the faith...One should wait and take a break in their discernment journey until she/he doesn't experience them anymore? And if we take the case of habitual sin, I imagine constant struggles with chastity would be a problem. 

Is there such a thing as a "standard" by which a Vocation director may evaluate ones spiritual life?

And if you could share what practices have helped you the most in your vocation journey, from a spiritual point of view, like daily Mass, a SD, frequent reception of the Sacrements, a special prayer, etc.

I have actually never heard of the rule of being in a state of grace for two years before entering. I know that many communities ask converts to be in full communion with the Church for 2 years. 

I do think that one needs to have a decently strong prayer life before entering. However one does not have to be perfect.

For spiritual dryness remember what St Ignatius said, never make decisions during desolation. This might mean slowing down a bit but definitely not stopping. For example after my dad died I made the decision to stop discerning for a year. This decision was made without prayer and while I was really stressed (ie during desolation). In about 3 days it became very clear that this had not been the right decision.

What has helped me the most is frequent Mass and lots of time before the Blessed Sacrament. 

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I have seen it mentioned a few times on here that some communities ask that a person be in a state of grace for two years before entering the community, but I have never heard it anywhere else. Do you have any concrete examples of this? I don't think that this would be a common rule, simply because of the fact that it deals with matters for the internal forum which are normally left between an individual and their spiritual director and/or confessor. While it may be laudable for a member of a community to let their superior know some of these things, I think that to expect an applicant to do so would be a bit much. This would, however, be an important thing to discuss with one's spiritual director and/or confessor.

As for scruples, spiritual dryness, doubts of the faith, etc., I don't think that should stop someone from discernment. If you read the Diary of St. Faustina, there are many times in her novitiate that she struggled with doubting God's existence. Doubt is not the same as losing faith. Faith is belief in things not seen, so when someone still believes in God despite their doubts, that is more meritorious than believing in God during moments of great spiritual consolation. Dryness is something that will come and go throughout the spiritual life: it's normal and something that simply needs to be persevered through. It is important to try and determine where the dryness is coming from, though (is it a side effect of my own sin, a test from God, or an attack of the devil?) Again, this is where a spiritual director would help tremendously. For scruples, again that is something that needs to be working on in consultation with one's spiritual director. I don't think they would bar one from entering religious life in and of themselves, though.

Regarding habitual sin, we all have our favorite sins that we need to work on, and that will be true for our entire lives. Specifically with chastity, though, that could be a detriment, but it would depend on degree. Again, consultation with a spiritual director/confessor would help.

In terms of spiritual practices that have helped in my discernment, daily Mass (or as often as I could make it) was essential, as well as silent prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament, frequent confession, and the Liturgy of the Hours. Spiritual reading during my time at adoration was also very beneficial. St. Jerome said that when we pray we speak to God, and when we read God speaks to us. Prayer needs to be a conversation; we need to listen to what God is saying, both in silence and in lectio divina (with Scripture, the works of the saints, etc.) 

I hope some of this helps!

I am curious to know, in line with your question, what kinds of things a vocations director might be looking for in a potential member of the community -- in terms of spiritual development. I don't think there's a clear-cut standard, but I'm sure there are some concrete signs, especially for concern, that might be examined.

As for what's been helpful?

In terms of the concrete: daily Mass; daily Holy Hour, before the Blessed Sacrament if at all possible; daily Compline, with an examen, and other Hours of the Office if possible; weekly or biweekly Confession with a regular confessor; and spiritual direction. 

In terms of the less concrete: reading (if you've not read The Fulfillment of All Desire, I Believe in Love, and The Cantata of Love, I recommend them all) for an understanding of the spiritual life, reading for formation (Scripture commentaries), praying very intentionally for myself and for others, spending time with the poor, developing strong and intimate friendships with others who yearn for the Lord, evangelizing, leading a Bible study . . .

The Lord shapes me in ways that I don't expect, primarily through what I read, actually, foremost, and then through my friendships and the witness of some very good, very holy, friends, and then confession/spiritual direction. What has been most critical to me is to not fear, and to wrestle with God -- for healing, for interior freedom, for intimacy with him, for greater knowledge of him, for the capacity to answer to the greatest commandments, for the grace of friendship with Mary and the saints . . . and he answers, always, so faithfully, and abundantly.

Many do not require daily Mass - just perhaps that one actually likes attending Mass. Further, weekly confession would have many communities curious if you are scrupulous - as many only have confession themselves every 2-4 weeks.  They do look if you have a spiritual director, although I think many are understanding in how difficult it is to get a good one these days. Obviously, they hope their candidates to do more than the minimum, and while you need to have a good spiritual life outside the convent/monastery, it should also be able to grow once in the religious life. 

Julie de Sales

I have seen it mentioned a few times on here that some communities ask that a person be in a state of grace for two years before entering the community, but I have never heard it anywhere else. Do you have any concrete examples of this? I don't think that this would be a common rule, simply because of the fact that it deals with matters for the internal forum which are normally left between an individual and their spiritual director and/or confessor. While it may be laudable for a member of a community to let their superior know some of these things, I think that to expect an applicant to do so would be a bit much. This would, however, be an important thing to discuss with one's spiritual director and/or confessor.

As for scruples, spiritual dryness, doubts of the faith, etc., I don't think that should stop someone from discernment. If you read the Diary of St. Faustina, there are many times in her novitiate that she struggled with doubting God's existence. Doubt is not the same as losing faith. Faith is belief in things not seen, so when someone still believes in God despite their doubts, that is more meritorious than believing in God during moments of great spiritual consolation. Dryness is something that will come and go throughout the spiritual life: it's normal and something that simply needs to be persevered through. It is important to try and determine where the dryness is coming from, though (is it a side effect of my own sin, a test from God, or an attack of the devil?) Again, this is where a spiritual director would help tremendously. For scruples, again that is something that needs to be working on in consultation with one's spiritual director. I don't think they would bar one from entering religious life in and of themselves, though.

Regarding habitual sin, we all have our favorite sins that we need to work on, and that will be true for our entire lives. Specifically with chastity, though, that could be a detriment, but it would depend on degree. Again, consultation with a spiritual director/confessor would help.

In terms of spiritual practices that have helped in my discernment, daily Mass (or as often as I could make it) was essential, as well as silent prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament, frequent confession, and the Liturgy of the Hours. Spiritual reading during my time at adoration was also very beneficial. St. Jerome said that when we pray we speak to God, and when we read God speaks to us. Prayer needs to be a conversation; we need to listen to what God is saying, both in silence and in lectio divina (with Scripture, the works of the saints, etc.)

I hope some of this helps!

Thank you very much for your reply, it helped me a lot! :) No, I don't have concrete examples of needing to be in a state of grace for some time before entering the convent, I just read it for the first time on this forum. I doubt about it, or at least I don't think it's a common rule, because, let's say, one is preparing to enter, everything is set up, and in a moment of weakness he commits a grave sin...it would be hard to delay your entrance by two years because of one incident. Just my opinion.

Julie de Sales

I am curious to know, in line with your question, what kinds of things a vocations director might be looking for in a potential member of the community -- in terms of spiritual development. I don't think there's a clear-cut standard, but I'm sure there are some concrete signs, especially for concern, that might be examined.

I think for the beginning an attraction towards the spirituality of that order and if, for example, it is centered around Eucharistic adoration or a certain devotion, they would expect the candidate to have incorporated at a degree this aspect in her spiritual life. But this intended not as an elimination rule, but as a sing of the call of God.

I don't think its necessary to be exceptionally observant before entering.  Daily Mass, Holy Hour, Office, etc. are very good things to do - but their practice may not be in keeping with your present state in life. You might not have time for them. And that's okay. Many people are attracted to religious life because that state of life calls for prioritizing such devotions.

I think the rule about 2 years in a state of grace is rather odd. I have never heard of it before. I think it would be hard for a VD to even bring it up with someone without potentially violating conscience.  Maybe it is an old "guideline."  Before Vatican II there were communities that required their candidates to have led "blameless" lives and come from "honorable" families. These conditions were printed in their vocation brochure. Unheard of today.

I can see some mortal sins exasperated by the life in a monastery, and others that would stop.  Sins against chastity can happen in whatever state one lives.

As an aside, there were also orders for 'penitents'. 

I wonder if there are some problems in the spiritual life of a discerner that could prevent her/him from entering a convent. For example, I heard that some religious communities ask discerners to be in a state of grace at least two years before joining. Do you believe this rule is common? Or I think about dealing with scruples, or spiritual dryness, or doubts about the faith...One should wait and take a break in their discernment journey until she/he doesn't experience them anymore? And if we take the case of habitual sin, I imagine constant struggles with chastity would be a problem.

As for habitual sin and discernment, this was dealt with here recently:

www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/131474-habitual-mortal-sin-and-discernment/

As for your other questions, I'd be curious what question you are really asking.  If you are in habitual serious sin, then you are certainly not suffering scruples.  You are suffering from real sin.  You shouldn't worry that the two are closely related and a person won't be dealing with them at the same time or stage of spiritual development.

Also, there is spiritual-desolation/dryness/doubts which come from God removing his grace for whatever reasons (see rule 9 of  Ignatius' rules of discernment) then there is 'natural' desolation which comes from us being "tepid, lazy, and negligent", like in habitual sin.  It's important to assess which of these is the cause of said desolation.

And as for the two year thing.  I guess as a guy I've had bad luck and I've run into the "you must wait two years, and come to us for SD during those two years" and the "no, you should just enter right now."   If you ever hear either of those, tread carefully.  I think there's a comfortable medium in-between the two. 

Julie de Sales

As for your other questions, I'd be curious what question you are really asking.  If you are in habitual serious sin, then you are certainly not suffering scruples.  You are suffering from real sin.  You shouldn't worry that the two are closely related and a person won't be dealing with them at the same time or stage of spiritual development.

I didn't mean that a discerner would experience all or at the same time these difficulties, I just wanted to know the position of a vocation director regarding this matters and what if that changes something in the discernment process. I'm aware that in these cases a SD is necessary and would have a great influence.