An Old School Catholic Message Board

Becoming A Consecrated Virgin In A Foreign Country?

Shana

I haven't posted on phatmass in a while, but I was just wondering something.  Would it be possible for a woman to be called to be a consecrated virgin in a local church (diocese) that is outside of her native country?  I'm asking this more on a hypothetical level as it this point it's not like I've set down roots anywhere (meaning that I don't have steady employment supporting myself in a church- related job).  The thing is that I've been studying this past year at the new Sacred Art School in Florence, and I've been told that the staff is interested in keeping me involved with the school...even though I'm not yet up to the level of being a teacher in the school...maybe something more or less like a student teacher for at least a six month period and then who knows.  I haven't officially been offered anything yet and am in the process of renewing my permission to stay for another year...so a lot is up in the air regarding the next six months let alone the rest of my life but I am just sort of curious about this as though I could easily see it developing so that it is made clear that I am no longer meant to remain in Florence with the school, I could as well see it developing so that I am involved with the school in Florence.  I feel really connected with the mission of the school...also the foundational vision of the school is JPII's Theology of the Body which I have long felt connected with in a particular way.  Obviously I wouldn't request the consecration anywhere (US or Italy) before being established in a place and financially independent.  I do also like the Archdiocese of New York a lot and could see in theory how perhaps God could prepare a way for me to be there again one day, at which point I could reconsider that option but that is not concretely where I am being led right now.  Even I'm somewhat open to the idea of being called to Philadelphia as I have some connections there who are interested in me but this is the least concrete possibility as I've never actually lived there.  Right now I feel I need to just sort of hang in there and see how the next step unfolds and get myself together professionally/ become a functional adult...further pursuing consecrated virginity in a really direct way is not something imminent for me.  Though I am still attracted to this vocation...perhaps the most significant element of the charism that has not come forth for me is that God hasn't planted me in a diocese.  I could see how this could come forth naturally with time or there is of course the possibility that I do not have a vocation as a consecrated virgin. 

Sort of a crazy question and naturally I don't expect anyone to be able to answer for what the situation in Florence would be (as probably there is not even a precedent of a foreigner requesting the right here).  But perhaps someone has heard of a consecrated virgin being consecrated for a diocese outside her home country?  Maybe Italy has grown on me too much and am thinking crazy thoughts!  Maybe I'm on the rebound because I was about to enter the aspirancy of a community in Rome but then just recently they discerned I shouldn't enter. I've got to stay grounded in the present reality and deepen my relationship with Christ where I'm at, though I haven't ruled out consecrated virginity.   

I think it's highly unorthodox, even among consecrated virgins.  The idea is that a woman will consecrate herself to God whilst living a completely "ordinary" life otherwise.

European Immigration is a MESS right now....so I'm not sure it'd be possible.

what I *think* as a Consecrated Virgin would be allowable would be perhaps studying in Florence so as to help lead church tour groups.

God's Beloved

Dear Shana,

The Order of Virgins is linked to the  Universal Church  present in the Local Church [ diocese].

For a deeper understanding of the vocation ,we need to understand the theology of the Church [ Ecclesiology ] . Spirituality of the vocation of CV is deeply connected to it. I recommend reading

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=3920

by Joseph Ratzinger then Prefect of the CDF

This will help you discern whether you have a vocation to CV .

Some extracts :

"God finds and prepares a bride for his Son, the single bride who is the unique Church. Starting from the word of Genesis, that the man and his wife will become "one flesh" (Gn 2, 24), the image of the bride is united with the idea of the Church as the body of Christ, a metaphor, which in turn comes from the Eucharistic liturgy. The one body of Christ is prepared; Christ and the Church will be two "in one flesh", one body and thus "God will be all in all".

"In the heart of the great Pauline letters, in the Letter to the Galatians, the Apostle does not speak to us of the heavenly Jerusalem as of a great eschatological reality, but as of one that precedes us: "But the Jerusalem above is our mother" (Gal 4, 26). In this regard, H. Schlier points out that for Paul, as for the Jewish tradition from which he draws inspiration, the heavenly Jerusalem is the new aeon. However, for the Apostle, this new aeon is already present "in the Christian Church. This is for him the heavenly Jerusalem in her children".

The consecrated virgin is an eschatological image of the Bride of Christ -the Church of Christ- of all Christians in the past , present,future. Just as the Church expresses her Identity and Mission rooted ,  inculturated  in the context of  dioceses , consecrated virgins too are called to live their identity and mission  in their local context.

"Through consecration there is a particular bond with the bishop and with the particular
Church. It is, however, less juridically specified than the bond referred to as the incardination of
a diocesan priest. The latter has an obligation of obedience to his bishop in being assigned to
priestly duties, and in turn, he has a right to be supported in his material, as well as spiritual,
needs, through the local Church. This is not the situation of the consecrated virgin."
[Consecrated virgins in today's world : Sharon Holland ]

However some CV are called to be missionaries and move to a diocese other than their own , either temporarily or permanently.

If you are studying , working , living temporarily in a country other than your own , there is no reason why you cannot discern the vocation of consecrated virginity or ask for consecration in that diocese. It depends on the Diocesan bishop. In your situation at present you may not be able to fulfill the criteria to make an application due to age , yet to be settled in your professional life , finances etc.......but as years pass .....if you get settled in Italy  , it should be possible to  request for consecration. If you are consecrated and later in life move back to New York , you will only have to take a letter of reference from the bishop of the diocese where you were consecrated.

Another possibility is to ask for consecration in the diocese of your permanent residence --New York- and then take a letter of your consecration to the bishop of the diocese in another country where you work.

However the practical considerations regarding the Order of Virgins  are still evolving. The Church might come up with canon law to answer  these technical points in the years to come. Be patient, give yourself time and years to discern. It would be a good idea to make a private commitment for some years before applying for consecration. All roses have thorns. Keep your eyes on the roses but prepare yourself for the thorns too.

AccountDeleted

Maybe don't stress about it for now- you don't even know where you're going to be living. Get your life organized first and then speak with your Vicar for Religious about it. Or speak to one now if it would help you to make a decision about where to live. I mean, if where you live is the priority, then get that settled first, but if becoming a CV is more important, then work out where you can do this, and then focus on how to make it possible with a job. Just saying ..... sorting out the priorities can make decision making easier. :)