An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict Critiques Francis

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

How do you know that the FFI restriction was a punishment, designed to teach a lesson?

The FFI and its founding Father were accused of forcing the exclusive use of the EF upon all the priests of the order (The founding Father and other FFI priests state this is not true that they used both Forms). Apostolic Visitors conduct an investigation, they send a questioner to all the priests. The majority of the questions dealt with the EF and the founding Father's application of the EF and the OF. A ruling is later made that restricts the use of the EF. It is sound and logical to reason that the action to restrict the use of the EF was a disciplinary one. It doesn't make sense to restrict the use of the EF after being (falsely IMHO) accused of abuse if it not disciplinary. Also Benedict made clear that priests and the laity have a universal right to the EF. One cannot have his freedom or rights justly taken away unless it is a form of punishment.

As for the lesson part that was more of a response to Blazing Star. The lesson being to teach them to keep in touch with the people. But punishment should be use to correct wrong thinking or wrong action, which would be a lesson. I just wish the Mass wasn't used for that purpose.

To me as an Eastern Catholic it seems odd to restrict the use of a particular liturgy since it is the liturgy that embodies the faith. It is like restricting the faith itself.

Nihil Obstat

SAUCE! GIVE ME THE SAUCE!

The ffi issue is far more concerning than any alleged quotes from Pope Benedict, and that is more than sufficiently sourced.

The ffi issue is far more concerning than any alleged quotes from Pope Benedict, and that is more than sufficiently sourced.

This is not sauce. :annoyed:

The op article does not interest me much. :P The ffi is more concerning.

The OP shouldn't concern anyone because its idle gossip...nobody has demonstrated otherwise. But yeah, the FFI issue is important and needs to be examined prayerfully... without jumping to conclusions.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

To me as an Eastern Catholic it seems odd to restrict the use of a particular liturgy since it is the liturgy that embodies the faith. It is like restricting the faith itself.

What is the difference between faith,belief and religion, because all 3 are mentioned specifically and individually in holy scripture.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

What is the difference between faith,belief and religion, because all 3 are mentioned specifically and individually in holy scripture.

The English words belief, believe, and faith, are all translations for the Greek word Ï€Î¯ÏƒÏ„ις, and so there is no real difference in meaning. In fact, all of the places in the New Testament where the English word belief is used can also be translated with the word faith, and vice versa. Now as far as the English word religion is concerned, it is a translation for the Greek word Î¸ÏÎ·ÏƒÎºÎµÎ¯Î±, and the literal meaning of that word is worship, and not just any kind of worship, but worship motivated by awe or fear of God that results in outward (i.e., external) activity. The root for the Greek word that is translated into English as religion means to cry out, which once again reveals the outward expression (normally in a ritual manner) of a person motivated by faith (πίστις) in God. So to summarize, the English words belief, believe, and faith, are all being used to translate one and the same Greek word Ï€Î¯ÏƒÏ„ις, and the word religion (θρησκεία) concerns the outward action of a person motivated (moved) by faith (πίστις).