An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict Critiques Francis

KnightofChrist

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Where, when, and how has Pope Benedict critiqued Pope Francis? We need facts people.

This is true Seven77, i read the snipet when you click <more> on the original post but i wouldn't have a clue where the paper is from or whether it is a reputable holy roman catholic paper or not.

blazeingstar

Forbidding the use of the Extraordinary Form of the Mass as a form of punishment must cease.

He forbid it to ONE group to ensure that they stayed on track.  I don't see where he was like "you naughty FFI's you are going to loose your TLM"  He wants them to use the OF mass in order to keep in touch with the people and has forced them to do so for the time being.

If the pope tried to forbid the Byzantine divine liturgy in an Eastern Christian monastic community (or anywhere else) he would have no success.

Edited by Apotheoun

KnightofChrist

He forbid it to ONE group to ensure that they stayed on track.  I don't see where he was like "you naughty FFI's you are going to loose your Traditional Latin Mass"  He wants them to use the OF mass in order to keep in touch with the people and has forced them to do so for the time being.

One group or one priest or 1,000 one form of the Mass should not be denied as a form of punishment, and another form of the Mass should not be forced upon a group or priest to teach them a lesson.

Nihil Obstat

Perhaps Pope Francis deserves some critique over his handling of the FFI. I do not agree with his comments about the traditional Mass being about the "sensitivities" of those attached to it. Pope Benedict was quite clear in 2007 that this is not how we are to understand the nature of the classical Rite.

It emerges from conversations with his visitors that Ratzinger himself has seen in this restriction a "vulnus" on his 2007 motu proprio "Summorum Pontificum."

What conversations? How do we know this to be true?

It emerges from conversations with his visitors that Ratzinger himself has seen in this restriction a "vulnus" on his 2007 motu proprio "Summorum Pontificum."

What conversations? How do we know this to be true?

We don't, but Al has told me that Pope Francis' views have been somewhat distorted in the interview he gave to Mr. Scalfari, so how do we know that Mr. Scalfari's account is true?

Sandro Magister often gets these kinds of inside scoops. Maybe Pope Benedict will give an interview, because we could all use some more papal interviews.  :smile3:

One group or one priest or 1,000 one form of the Mass should not be denied as a form of punishment, and another form of the Mass should not be forced upon a group or priest to teach them a lesson.

How do you know that the FFI restriction was a punishment, designed to teach a lesson?