An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict Critiques Francis

KnightofChrist

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Perhaps.

But I also know that in my area less than 2% of the people who attend church weekly are between the ages of 18-35.  (about 20% for our dioceses compared to the 33-35% national average).  

I live in a controversial, opinionated, liberal, area that's basically satin's armpit.  

There's the same amount of 18-35 in my diocese too and i'm in Australia, pray for the return of the prodigals daily.

blazeingstar

In the Diocese of Oakland mass attendance is low, and some of the masses are hard to recognize as Roman Catholic masses.

Yep.  But I don't think that has anything to do with the way Mass is spoken.  And the Ordinary Form must be followed.  Breaking from the GIRM has nothing to do with the language Mass is said in.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the changes to the Latin Mass are not justified? If the Pope told you to reject the Trinity would you do it? Think about it.

Seriously?  The changes to the Mass were over and done with going on 60 years ago.  It doesn't matter if they are justified, it don't really matter what my opinion of Traditional Latin Mass is.  The Vatican and Pope have declared that native tongue masses are the ordinary form and have given us clear instructions of how to do it.

We live in 2013.  If in 2019 the Pope decides that Latin Mass should be Ordinary Form, then I will accept that.  But it has not.  Infact, in missionary work as early as the 1200's native tougnge Masses were allowed. (I believe in China or other orient).

It sounds like you live in the SF Bay Area.   :evil:

Nope.  that's the other armpit.  I consider the bible belt around where satan's belly button would be.

Edited by blazeingstar

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

It sounds like you live in the SF Bay Area.   :evil:

that emo looks like a told you so emo, have some christian charity, if indeed your a christian.  :dead:

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

blazeingstar

There's the same amount of 18-35 in my diocese too and i'm in Australia, pray for the return of the prodigals daily.

I've heard that Austrlia was bad, but apparently that's across all generations.

that emo looks like a told you so emo, have some christian charity, if indeed your a christian.  :dead:

Seriously?  Its a funny grin.

Seriously?  The changes to the Mass were over and done with going on 60 years ago.  It doesn't matter if they are justified, it don't really matter what my opinion of Traditional Latin Mass is.  The Vatican and Pope have declared that native tongue masses are the ordinary form and have given us clear instructions of how to do it.

We live in 2013.  If in 2019 the Pope decides that Latin Mass should be Ordinary Form, then I will accept that.  But it has not.  Infact, in missionary work as early as the 1200's native tougnge Masses were allowed. (I believe in China or other orient).

Even when I was Roman Catholic I did not care what language was used for the mass. In fact, the differences between the "Ordinary Form" and the "Extraordinary Form" concern the content of the missals and not the language. After all, the normative text of the "Ordinary Form" is in Latin. The problem as I see it is one of substance, and when the prayers (even in the original Latin language) are compared, the newer missal is less rich in its theological and poetical content, while presenting the "faith" in a way that reflects the opinions of the members of the committee that wrote it. The older Roman Missal represents the historic understanding of the faith passed on, at first orally, and later in written form, within the Roman Church. That historical aspect is what connects the generation of today to those that preceded it. 

Edited by Apotheoun

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Seriously?  Its a funny grin.

It's a smug told you so grin, and it's horrible.

It's just an emoticon, and it works well in conveying the fact that the SF Bay Area is perhaps one of the most liberal areas in the United States.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Even when I was Roman Catholic I did not care what language was used for the mass. In fact, the differences between the "Ordinary Form" and the "Extraordinary Form" concern the content of the missals and not the language. After all, the normative text of the "Ordinary Form" is in Latin. The problem as I see it is one of substance, and when the prayers (even in the original Latin language) are compared, the newer missal is less rich in its theological and poetical content, while presenting the "faith" in a way that reflects the opinions of the members of the committee that wrote it. The older Roman Missal represents the historic understanding of the faith passed on, at first orally, and later in written form, within the Roman Church. That historical aspect is what connects the generation of today to those that preceded it. 

I think it was pius the whatever he was, the last real pope according to some latinists said this (and i heard it from a fssp priest) he said that we must know by heart these parts at the least, and they where, the kyrie, the gloria, and the agnus dei. These three least components are in the novus ordo, infact theres more and the majority of the people know each one off by heart, so :P

I think it was pius the whatever he was, the last real pope according to some latinists said this (and i heard it from a fssp priest) he said that we must know by heart these parts at the least, and they where, the kyrie, the gloria, and the agnus dei. These three least components are in the novus ordo, infact theres more and the majority of the people know each one off by heart, so :P

I am talking about the whole missal and not simply the order of the Mass. The missal contains A LOT more than the order of the Mass.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

told you so is okay but smug is proud, and pride is a mortal sin, unless it's pride in God ( according to the o.t.)

told you so is okay but smug is proud, and pride is a mortal sin, unless it's pride in God ( according to the o.t.)

What the heck are you talking about?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I am talking about the whole missal and not simply the order of the Mass. The missal contains A LOT more than the order of the Mass.

And holy scripture has a lot more than the roman missal.

And holy scripture has a lot more than the roman missal.

And where exactly did I claim that the Roman Missal contains the whole of the Bible? I do not remember bringing that up at all.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

What the heck are you talking about?

Relax and pray, after every post you read say "God bless such and such," then pray an our father. :)

Relax and pray, after every post you read say "God bless such and such," then pray an our father. :)

I am quite relaxed, but you seem a bit on edge. Are you okay?