An Old School Catholic Message Board

Men's Come And See Weekends

Luigi

If you find 'em, post 'em. 

St. Bernard Abbey, Cullman AL. This year they had monks make solemn vows, one make temporary vows, and they took in six novices. There are others in formation as well. 

"Men in Black" Retreat for Young Men in High School: 
Friday, October 4 - Sunday, October 6, 2013

"Monastic Experience" Retreat for Adult Men
Friday, October 25 - Sunday, October 27, 2013
Friday, February 21 - Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sacred Triduum Retreat: 
Thursday, April 17 - Sunday, April 20, 2014

Contact Father Jacob at frjacobosb@yahoo.com

Western Dominican Province (Holy Names of Jesus and Mary)

Learn more about the Dominicans by attending a Vocation Weekend at St. Albert Priory in Oakland, California. Meet the Brothers studying for the priesthood, visit our Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, visit the Novice Brothers at St. Dominic's Priory in San Francisco, listen to presentations on the Dominican life, and spend time in prayer. For more information or to register contact Fr. Steven Maekawa, OP. (415) 264-3103, Email

http://www.opwest.org/index.php/vocation-weekends

Next Vocation Weekends

4pm Friday, Nov 1
until
1pm Sunday, Nov 3

and

4pm Friday, Feb 28
until
1pm Sunday, March 2

VOCATIONS WEEKEND SCHEDULE

FRIDAY

4:00        Presentation: Introductions & Vocation Discernment
5:00        Evening Prayer & Mass
5:45        Recreation
6:15        Dinner
7:15        Night Prayer
8:00        Presentation: Dominican Spirituality
9:00        Social

SATURDAY

7:30        Office of Readings
8:00        Morning Prayer & Mass
8:30        Breakfast
9:30        Depart for St. Dominic’s Priory
10:15......Presentation: The Novitiate & Novice Introductions
11:30......Church tour
12:00......Noon Prayer
12:15......Lunch
12:45......Presentation: Priesthood
1:15        Presentation: Academic Program
2:00        Depart for St. Albert’s
5:30        Evening Prayer
7:15        Compline
7:30        Adoration: guests expected to stay until 8:00pm.
..............Adoration will continue to 7:30am Sun.

SUNDAY

8:30        Prayer
9:30        Mass
10:30......Brunch
11:45......Student Faith Stories followed by Q & A
12:45......Rosary in chapel: Weekend officially over.

Edited by Luigi

Southern Dominican Province (St. Martin DePorres)

DEW-Feb-20131-180x135.jpg

Are You Discerning a Vocation as a Priest or Cooperator Brother? If you would like to explore a vocation as a Dominican (Order of Preachers) priest or brother, we invite you to join us for a Dominican Experience Weekend. This weekend of prayer, community and information sharing (held in English) is designed to help men like you explore the possibility of a vocation to Dominican life. College-age and older men are invited to join us the weekend of October 25 – 27, 2013 at St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans, Louisiana. For more information, visit our website at www.opsouth.org or email our Vocation Promoter at john.pitzer@gmail.com or call 504.837.2129 ext.12.

littlesister

Mount Angel Abbey, St. Benedict Oregon :

October 25-27, 2013

January 10-12, 2014

April 4-6, 2014

Retreats begin with vespers Friday evening and conclude Sunday afternoon. Time is spent in prayer with the monks, silent reflection and conferences on the monastic way of life. There is ample opportunity to discuss vocational discernment with novice and junior monks and with your fellow retreatants.  

Learn more about Discernment Retreats.

Email: vocation@mountangelabbey.org

Telephone: 503.845.3123

Edited by littlesister

The Trappist Monastery of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Washington State doesn't have schedule Com e & See Weekends like a lot of other monasteries. But they do have 30-day monastic life retreats on an ass-needed basis. Here's a link to the page: http://trappistabbey.org/?page_id=494

And here's a reflection by a guy who just finished a 30-day retreat. 

10-04-2013

We’ve just finished a Monastic Life Retreat and one of our participants, Michael, was kind enough to share some thoughts about his time with us.

Michael’s Monastic Life Experience:

I am not in a particularly unique position for a North American guy in his mid-twenties.  I’ve recently finished college but, for whatever reason, am at a loss as to where to go next.

What I’ve found curious is that my indecision is not from a lack of options or suggestions.  There are a million voices vying for my attention (some being good, i.e. family, dear friends); but, in daily life, finding solitude or a space to retreat that cacophonous environment can be very difficult.  Even impossible if one can no longer recognize that the silence is missing.  In our over-mediated society, when everything grabs your attention, nothing can hold it – all inputs, all voices become equally worthless.

Now, I can’t continue by saying that my experience in the Monastic Life Retreat program at Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey solved my problems and directed me toward a lucrative salary position, or that I even found real resolution to the issue of, “Where do I go next?” – The Abbey, as I hope one would imagine, is not of that ilk.

But, I did find that solitude that I was so desperately craving.  And it has made all the difference.  While my month as a MLR has not been without struggle, it has been within one of the most loving and encouraging communities I have ever experienced.  I am grateful to the brothers of Our Lady of Guadalupe for welcoming me into their quiet and restful home and for teaching me through example, as well as long and patient conversation.

The life of prayer is not and ought not be exclusive to monks, but I did find that a monastic community was a wonderful space to gain a deeper understanding of prayer, free from those competing distractions outside the cloister.  I will continue to return to Our Lady of Guadalupe Trappist Abbey to wrestle and pray for the rest of my life.

+ Michael B.

St. Procopius Benedictine abbey in Lisle, IL.http://procopius.webs.com/ They teach mostly. 

Come & See Weekend Vocation Discernment retreat - Fri., Nov. 15 to Sun., Nov. 17. For men 18-45 who want to learn about monastic life at St. Procopius Abbey (see here for more info).

• 2 weeks later...

Western Dominican Province (Holy Names of Jesus and Mary)

Learn more about the Dominicans by attending a Vocation Weekend at St. Albert Priory in Oakland, California. Meet the Brothers studying for the priesthood, visit our Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology, visit the Novice Brothers at St. Dominic's Priory in San Francisco, listen to presentations on the Dominican life, and spend time in prayer. For more information or to register contact Fr. Steven Maekawa, OP. (415) 264-3103, Email

http://www.opwest.org/index.php/vocation-weekends

Next Vocation Weekends

4pm Friday, Nov 1
until
1pm Sunday, Nov 3

and

4pm Friday, Feb 28
until
1pm Sunday, March 2

VOCATIONS WEEKEND SCHEDULE

FRIDAY

4:00        Presentation: Introductions & Vocation Discernment
5:00        Evening Prayer & Mass
7:15        Night Prayer
8:00        Presentation: Dominican Spirituality
9:00        Social

SATURDAY

7:30        Office of Readings
8:00        Morning Prayer & Mass
8:30        Breakfast
9:30        Depart for St. Dominic’s Priory
10:15......Presentation: The Novitiate & Novice Introductions
11:30......Church tour
12:00......Noon Prayer
12:15......Lunch
12:45......Presentation: Priesthood
1:15        Presentation: Academic Program
2:00        Depart for St. Albert’s
5:30        Evening Prayer
7:15        Compline
7:30        Adoration: guests expected to stay until 8:00pm.
..............Adoration will continue to 7:30am Sun.

SUNDAY

8:30        Prayer
9:30        Mass
10:30......Brunch
11:45......Student Faith Stories followed by Q & A
12:45......Rosary in chapel: Weekend officially over.

Bump

• 3 weeks later...

Jesuits - Missouri Province and New Orleans Provinces - in December and January

The Jesuits of the Missouri and New Orleans provinces are hosting two retreats this winter for men who are considering a vocation in the church, especially as a Jesuit priest or brother.

The discernment retreats will be held Dec. 16-20 and Jan. 2-6, both at St. Charles College in Grand Coteau, La.

The retreats are open to any man, young to middle-aged, who is considering a vocation to ministry in the church. Men can learn more about the Jesuit way of life and meet and live with Jesuit novices and other men in the process of discernment. The retreats also will offer an opportunity to spend time in prayer reflecting on the call to be a priest or brother.

The retreats are offered at no cost to participants other than travel. Some financial assistance is available to those on a very limited budget.

Each man attending the retreat will meet daily with his assigned Jesuit director for guidance through a silent experience of prayer. He also will have the opportunity to meet and socialize with Jesuit novices and men in formation.

For more information, contact Fr. Paul Deutsch, vocation director, at 314-361-7765, or Fr. Drew Kirschman, coordinator for vocation promotion, at 314-650-3259.

The Denver Province of the Redemptorists also has a series of vocation events planned for Jan, Feb, April and May of 2014. 

Date Name of Event   en.gif November 21, 2013 NCYC - Indianapolis, IN en.gif January 3, 2014 St. John Neuman Pilgrimage en.gif February 13, 2014 Come and See Weekend - Bronx, NY en.gif April 11, 2014 Come and Pray Retreat - Tuscon, AZ en.gif May 1, 2014 Come and See weekend, Bronx, New York en.gif May 18, 2014 Student Gathering

http://www.redemptoristvocations.com/

• 2 weeks later...
Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Come and See Weekend with the Benedictine Community of Marmion Abbey

come_and_see2013_web.jpg

For more information about Marmion Abbey please visit: http://marmion.org/s/1356/images/editor_documents/abbey/vocations_2013_web.pdf

To rsvp please visit: http://marmion.org/s/1356/abbey/abbey.aspx?sid=1356&gid=1&pgid=1241

If you have any questions, please let me know!

May God bless and protect you always!

Br. Antony Maria, OSB

Edited by NazFarmer

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Thank you very much for saying that: it helps to have some outside points of view in regards to things like this. After looking at our directory, we have been doing fairly well: within the past 7-8 years we've had 7 vocations. Granted, 5 have been within the past year and a half, but that's still pretty good!