An Old School Catholic Message Board

American Jesus - New Film

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

So watch the trailer of anew European look at American Christians on this page...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/how-jesus-took-america-ho_b_4015566.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Religion

The trailer gives me the creeps.What do you think about it?

BTW - this review doesn't say whether Catholicism is covered at all in the film, but it seems to be focused on Evangelical and other Protestant churches around America.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think i will watch that documentary, if you bring it up again when it is released, or somehow i randomly remember. Should be interesting.

America's long involvement in the Middle East, and twelve years of non-stop war in Iraq and Afghanistan, can't be understood outside of the context of religious delusional thinking explored in American Jesus.

This gives religion way too much credit. Our interest in the Middle East is oil(duh), Afghanistan has always been about preventing the Taliban from taking it over again, and Iraq was either a mistake of President Bush, or his revenge against Saddam Hussein for trying to assassinate his father.

Now, if you wanted to talk about the Evangelical right and abortion laws in the South, that's fair game. Edited by r2Dtoo

Seems like it's more a look at Southern(ish), Evangelical(ish), rural(ish), American Christianity. There's a lot more, obviously the long tradition of Catholicism in America, as well as Hispanic evangelicalism, black Protestant churches, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Christianity has been hijacked....and its pretty sad.  Hopefully this film covers that without condemning all Christians...which is very unlikely this day in age.