An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diet And Penance In Various Monasteries

God's Beloved

In a previous thread I was enquiring about the charism of various monastic groups , for someone who has requested me to gather the information.

We need some more info regarding the  diet , food habits , practice of penance among various monastics. ........which ones  have a vegetarian diet ........how do they fast.......other penance......

The Poor Clare's depend mostly on food donations. They usually do not eat meat, some eat fish.Most folks who do contribute know their dietary practices and give accordingly. Generally,breakfast is pick up, as is lunch during the week. Sundays and Feastdays are different, and if Meat or fish has been given, they will eat it.

Edited by TIWW

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day!! .. Some people can't stomach food so early in the morning. Not everyone's body clock is the same either. What's happens if one becomes really hungry, light headed and stomach is growling loudly in between set meal times???

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day!! .. Some people can't stomach food so early in the morning. Not everyone's body clock is the same either. What's happens if one becomes really hungry, light headed and stomach is growling loudly in between set meal times???

I think one adjusts to the rhythm of the meals and the schedule as time goes on. In just 10 days I realized I was eating too much at meals. (I normally don't eat as much or as well as I was fed in the monastery!) A PCC also once told me that a postulant started crying on her out of the blue. When she asked her what was wrong, she said she was so hungry. The NM immediately took her to the kitchen to get food and told her to always tell someone if she was really hungry.

They're not going to starve you! Some people need more food than others, other food requirements change as we age, and even depending on the time of the month! That being said, one will be expected (I think) to exercise moderation as regards food. But it will be self-regulating in most communities. (Some communities do portion out food...)

It takes us time to adjust to the monastic way of life and that is understood. I was hungry when I entered and as I was told that I would be sent away if I used food as an unofficial penance, I told my NM who arranged for me to have a cup of milk and a biscuit at 10 am to see me through. I only needed this for about six weeks then my body adapted to the meal schedule.

All sorts of temporary adaptations can be made for postulants and no one should ever fear saying if they are finding a particular practice difficult.

Some have fasting according to liturgical seasons, others have perpetual fasting or abstinence.......how is it different in various monastic traditions ?

i have heard that in some monasteries during fasting they eat light breakfast and one  rather heavy meal which is difficult to eat.......and eating can become a penance.

Regarding penance we would also like to know about  how much use of social communications, especially Internet is allowed.

ToJesusMyHeart

If I remember correctly, the Sisters of Life abstain from sweets except Sundays and Feastdays, abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Fridays, perpetually abstain from alcohol as a sacrifice for those they serve (they work with a lot of women who struggled with alcoholism or their boyfriends were drunkards), and avoid snacking between meals. 

I think those are correct but it is possible I mixed one day up. 

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

I think one adjusts to the rhythm of the meals and the schedule as time goes on. In just 10 days I realized I was eating too much at meals. (I normally don't eat as much or as well as I was fed in the monastery!) A PCC also once told me that a postulant started crying on her out of the blue. When she asked her what was wrong, she said she was so hungry. The NM immediately took her to the kitchen to get food and told her to always tell someone if she was really hungry.

They're not going to starve you! Some people need more food than others, other food requirements change as we age, and even depending on the time of the month! That being said, one will be expected (I think) to exercise moderation as regards food. But it will be self-regulating in most communities. (Some communities do portion out food...)

I remember being sooo hungry when I made my aspirancy! I ate everything that I was supposed to, but I guess getting up so early and having such a full day just burned more calories or something. I was really surprised at all of the food choices, though.

For those who cannot function without AM coffee...the Cloistered Dominicans in Michigan now allow the nuns to

get a cup in the kitchen before prayers.  My friend did a live-in there (years back) and was "discovered" sipping

java in a storage closet!  She figured the risk was better than nodding off during the morning prayers before Mass :saint2: !

They loved her human-ness (especially the red sneakers she wore with the black floor-length skirt!

We had an 'unoffical' pot of coffee the stood on the corner of the big Aga in the kitchen. Everyone knew it was there and we were permitted to partake if we felt the real need. You took a bowl ( French custom) and helped yourself. If you used the last in the pot you made another before you left and washed up the bowl. Later in private it was understood that you 'owned up' to Mother.

"Dear Mother, I made use of the coffee three times this week".

This was mainly to check out that a particular Sister was not struggling too much with exhaustion....and yes, it was there before chapel in the morning too.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

For those who cannot function without AM coffee...the Cloistered Dominicans in Michigan now allow the nuns to

get a cup in the kitchen before prayers.  My friend did a live-in there (years back) and was "discovered" sipping

java in a storage closet!  She figured the risk was better than nodding off during the morning prayers before Mass :saint2: !

They loved her human-ness (especially the red sneakers she wore with the black floor-length skirt!

I think that the early cup of coffee has been permitted in nearly all Dominican monasteries for a long time now. In fact, most monasteries allow the sisters to pick up their breakfast at whatever time they want such as first thing in the morning before Office. It's amazing what that first cup can do to help! I used to fall asleep STANDING during the psalms when I first entered!

The diet can be a challenge to get used to when you first enter. For me the Lenten and Advent diet wasn't so much difficult as tedious. I don't really like meat anyway but I know some sisters who really feel the lack. Some sisters find beans really difficult while some sisters love them! :unsure:

I think that the early cup of coffee has been permitted in nearly all Dominican monasteries for a long time now. In fact, most monasteries allow the sisters to pick up their breakfast at whatever time they want such as first thing in the morning before Office. It's amazing what that first cup can do to help! I used to fall asleep STANDING during the psalms when I first entered!

The diet can be a challenge to get used to when you first enter. For me the Lenten and Advent diet wasn't so much difficult as tedious. I don't really like meat anyway but I know some sisters who really feel the lack. Some sisters find beans really difficult while some sisters love them! :unsure:

I remember years ago, when I asked a Novice Mistress if her community of Dominicans drank coffee, she said: "Oh, YES! It's the staff of the monastic life! We go to the coffee pot before we even go to the choir!" It was so reassuring. :)

In a previous thread I was enquiring about the charism of various monastic groups , for someone who has requested me to gather the information.

We need some more info regarding the  diet , food habits , practice of penance among various monastics. ........which ones  have a vegetarian diet ........how do they fast.......other penance......

Great news that the "no coffee ban" has been lifted!  I remember reading how a wealthy San Francisco socialite who entered a Midwest Carmel was "made" to drink coffee (though she preferred hot water

with lemon).  Another benefit beyond learning obedience?  Antioxidents!

Are there any true vegetarian communities out there? The Poor Clare Colletines, from my understanding, don't eat meat...but I know of a Carmel which had a ton of bacon donated to them

(which they enjoyed in one form or another for several days).  Mother Angelica quipped one day

during her Live show, that the PCPA nuns barbecued donated steaks for one of the holidays.