An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Fantasy As Bad As Drug Abuse?

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pax domini brethren, sympathizers and others...

I was thinking why is it the Lord has pulled me away from entertainment/mythology/fantasy/make believe.

So why is story telling called make believe? It is called this because the story teller tries to make the listener believe there story. Are there good story tellers and bad story tellers? Yes, some are trying to have people believe a true story and some something that is mythological. Why are the pretend stories bad? Well the pretend stories are bad because some people believe the story and those peoples personalities start to become a reflection of the story tellers fantasy/illusion/imagination and not totaly there own real personality.

Well that's all i have so far after examining my conscience on the matter today. Would anyone like to add anything else because i'm sure there's more.

God bless.

Jesus iz LORD.

Onward christian souls.

P.S. This all came about when i was thinking about Gangsta raps impact on youth and entertainments impact on the world in General.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

So fantasy is as bad as drug addiction, why? Because it steals your personality and replaces it with someone elses, the story teller/myth maker.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Let me rephrase that. So fantasy is as bad as a drug addiction,why? Because it steals your personality,period.(you get the point.)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I believe i am correct, but unfortunately i think that my delivery may be wrong, hence why i must go on a journey soon to find the right words that bring life.

CatholicsAreKewl

Pax domini brethren, sympathizers and others...

I was thinking why is it the Lord has pulled me away from entertainment/mythology/fantasy/make believe.

So why is story telling called make believe? It is called this because the story teller tries to make the listener believe there story. Are there good story tellers and bad story tellers? Yes, some are trying to have people believe a true story and some something that is mythological. Why are the pretend stories bad? Well the pretend stories are bad because some people believe the story and those peoples personalities start to become a reflection of the story tellers fantasy/illusion/imagination and not totaly there own real personality.

Well that's all i have so far after examining my conscience on the matter today. Would anyone like to add anything else because i'm sure there's more.

God bless.

Jesus iz LORD.

Onward christian souls.

P.S. This all came about when i was thinking about Gangsta raps impact on youth and entertainments impact on the world in General.

Hey bro, I don't think personality changes based on what one hears in a story is necessarily a bad thing. Of course, if you feel like these things are harmful to you for whatever reason, then it's better to stay away.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Hey bro, I don't think personality changes based on what one hears in a story is necessarily a bad thing. Of course, if you feel like these things are harmful to you for whatever reason, then it's better to stay away.

If the story is a myth then it is a lie, then you are believing a lie. But thanks for saying if i think these things are harmful to me then i should stay away from them which i do. But i actually think these lies are harmful to everyone, to varying degrees. But also yes, some stories are about truth and not fantasy, like the story of Jesus life.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

but also yes, some stories are about true things and not fantasy, like the story of Jesus' life, or the lives of the saints, or your life or my life perhaps told to others.

If the story is a myth then it is a lie, then you are believing a lie. But thanks for saying if i think these things are harmful to me then i should stay away from them which i do. But i actually think these lies are harmful to everyone, to varying degrees. But also yes, some stories are about truth and not fantasy, like the story of Jesus life.

There are people who think all meats are bad for you.  There are people who think all tv is bad for you.  There are people who think gasoline is bad for you.  You can think what you like and for you maybe its true but to claim stories are bad for everyone is false and untrue.

So if a story that is a myth is bad for you I hope you don't read any books that are not 100% completely factual,  you don't watch almost any tv, you don't listen to nearly any songs, don't listen to nearly any comedians, don't talk about any stories with family or friends(since its unlikely someone will be 100% accurate with their stories). 

Sometimes I don't know what to think when reading your posts.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

There are people who think all meats are bad for you.  There are people who think all tv is bad for you.  There are people who think gasoline is bad for you.  You can think what you like and for you maybe its true but to claim stories are bad for everyone is false and untrue.

So if a story that is a myth is bad for you I hope you don't read any books that are not 100% completely factual,  you don't watch almost any tv, you don't listen to nearly any songs, don't listen to nearly any comedians, don't talk about any stories with family or friends(since its unlikely someone will be 100% accurate with their stories). 

Sometimes I don't know what to think when reading your posts.

Yes i do believe all that is bad, it is entertainment. I'm more into faith,hope,love and peace. I think entertainment is a false peace, and t.v, shows and movies are the top of the crop for entertainment everyone on the one screen. I honestly thing perhaps t.v. and movies are the anti Christ, a false light (it actually lights up.) and the false wonders and signs it performs particular heighten my suspicions that it could be the anti Christ. Like when people go watch a blockbuster at the movies (or they used) all are amazed in wonder and awe at the whole thing, which people would have been with Jesus miracles and many miracles he still does to this day.

I'm sorry, but besides your grammar (I'm going to guess you're one of our brethren from outside the US) your whole theory is off.  You sound like a poster on another board who said that garlic and other spices are bad because it makes us like food and *could* lead to overeating.

God gave us wonderful imaginations.  Most of Jesus' homilies make use of that.

Jesus grew up on tall tales and stories just like the rest of us.  They were invented since cave men times.  And saying that the TV is sinful because it lights up is so seriously messed up that it's almost not worth a reply.  Fire lights up, glow worms light up, last night the full moon was so bright it lit up my yard.

Movies are cool...but I don't see what they change about Jesus' works.  That is about belief.  Did you know that street magicians (not dark magicians, slight of hand) of His time regularly did "tricks" that are almost identical to his miracles...including "raising" people from the dead, 'curing' blindness, wine into water...all that.  All the plagues of Egypt can be scientifically explained.  Yet, people still believe.

You are oversimplyfing the grace seen in the miracles of Jesus as well as inferring 20th century principles where they don't exist.

Relax. He probably wrote this while drunk.

Apparantly drinking yourself into a stupor and going online to annoy the hell out of everyone is okay, but reading fantasy and science fiction is bad.

Relax. He probably wrote this while drunk.

Apparantly drinking yourself into a stupor and going online to annoy the hell out of everyone is okay, but reading fantasy and science fiction is bad

Meh, it's a free world, I can reply to whatever I want.