An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why The West Can't Be Converted

Apteka

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was discussing with a Catholic acquaintance the possibility of converting the West. I stated emphatically such a thing is impossible, Catholicism simply can not compete with the contemporary Western culture, and not because the secular West can out reason Catholicism, but rather because the West can offer a more enjoyable lifestyle, and that is ultimately what all of us Moderns seek. As support for my position I showed him this fifteen minute case study, and then asked him to meditate on it and come up with ways to convert this type of human being. Your input is welcome as well.

A case study: Hedonist Western Culture

Note: I understand some of the posters here may be of a younger variety. The video is mildly vulgar, although nothing worse than what you would see on MTV or the beach. Viewer discretion advised, not suitable for prudes or the scrupulous

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFXd973lMJw[/youtube]

I'm living proof that it can be. I used to be of the world, all for sexual pleasure and gratification, believing in just doing whatever you want. Now I can honestly say living a holy, demanding, sacrificing life like this guy

04+VENERABLE.png

is a lot more appealing to me than living a shell of a life like this guy

robert-thicke.jpg?w=600

Edited by FuturePriest387

Future cleric, your profile says you are sixteen years old, you really think you have come to test the world and found it wanting? You have no idea young soul.

Future cleric, your profile says you are sixteen years old, you really think you have come to test the world and found it wanting? You have no idea young soul.

You don't need to hold a glass for thirty years to figure out if it is empty or full.

You don't need to hold a glass for thirty years to figure out if it is empty or full.

A guileless young lad who has figured out life! *smile*  primum vivere, deinde philosophari!

A guileless young lad who has figured out life! *smile* primum vivere, deinde philosophari!

I never said I figured out life. I've simply figured out that doing the Devil's work is empty and unfulfilling, and doing God's work is the most fulfilling and joyful thing you can possibly do.

I never said I figured out life. I've simply figured out that doing the Devil's work is empty and unfulfilling, and doing God's work is the most fulfilling and joyful thing you can possibly do.

Well I'm glad you think so, future cleric. How will you tend to your future flock who will not share your worldview? And further, how would you enlighten them?

The Church has survived and overcome godless societies before, and I will continue to do so, but it just may take a generation or two.

The Church has survived and overcome godless societies before, and I will continue to do so, but it just may take a generation or two.

Apotheoun, how would you approach enlightening the godless? Would you walk into their den of vice and attempt to preach? Many a lost soul steps further into perdition in these areas.

Apotheoun, how would you approach enlightening the godless? Would you walk into their den of vice and attempt to preach? Many a lost soul steps further into perdition in these areas.

By worshipping the Holy Trinity, preaching the good news of Christ to those around me, both in word and deed, and by living the way of light as opposed to the way of darkness.

Just accept his point of view.  He is older and that automatically makes one wiser.  Since you are young you know nothing or real life and could not hope to even imagine what you don't know.  Listen instead to the old man who is not a catholic for advice.  Cause we all know age is more important than following ones conscious and the Lord.

what's your deal bro?

I will start respecting what you have to say when you just come out and say it. What's your purpose, what are you trying to convince people, and why? Those are things worth knowing before I invest 15 minutes of my life watching your youtoob vids. I'm not a fan of the vague equivocations.

Also please understand there is a 99% chance that what you have to tell us has been told to us before. Sometimes people think they're being original when they're naht.

Hipsters.

what's your deal bro?

I will start respecting what you have to say when you just come out and say it. What's your purpose, what are you trying to convince people, and why? Those are things worth knowing before I invest 15 minutes of my life watching your youtoob vids. I'm not a fan of the vague equivocations.

Also please understand there is a 99% chance that what you have to tell us has been told to us before. Sometimes people think they're being original when they're naht.

Hipsters.

Don't tase me bro!

The thesis is quite clear at the onset. The West is unconvertable, restoring a Catholic "Middle Ages"  impossible, and the reason being that the life-style of the contemporary West is too alluring. I don't see the Roman Church engaging in missionary activity anymore, but if it did, I would be curious to know how it would set about converting the moderns.

So chillax, stay in school, no need to be antagonistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJiYrRcfQo