An Old School Catholic Message Board

French Revolution And Vatican Ii

Apteka

"Vatican II is the French Revolution in the Church"?

I do not see Vatican II as a form of the French Revolution in the Church; instead, I see it as a council focused upon issuing vague (e.g., Gaudium et Spes) and often pointless documents (e.g., the decree on Social Communications).

That said, I tend to describe the post-conciliar period of the last 50 years as a Counter-Counter-Reformation, that is, as an attempt to undo as much of the past 450 years of Roman Catholic history as possible.

I do not see Vatican II as a form of the French Revolution in the Church; instead, I see it as a council focused upon issuing vague (e.g., Gaudium et Spes) and often pointless documents (e.g., the decree on Social Communications).

That said, I tend to describe the post-conciliar period of the last 50 years as a Counter-Counter-Reformation, that is, as an attempt to undo as much of the past 450 years of Roman Catholic history as possible.

Seems like the goal was to undo more like 2000 years than just 450. As for why it was done, that's an interesting question.

Seems like the goal was to undo more like 2000 years than just 450. As for why it was done, that's an interesting question.

I do not think that that was the original goal, but I have run into plenty of Catholics who seem more interested in Buddhism than Catholicism, so perhaps the goal is in a state of flux. The newer goal being reinforced by the abysmal state of catechesis in many parishes. 

Edited by Apotheoun

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I do not think that that was the original goal, but I have run into plenty of Catholics who seem more interested in Buddhism than Catholicism, so perhaps the goal is in a state of flux. The newer goal being reinforced by the abysmal state of catechesis in many parishes. 

And how many is plenty?

And how many is plenty?

It's a pretty large number. The "Catholic" young people I met at San Francisco State knew practically nothing about Catholicism. Rough figure . . . 30 kids (in their late teens and early twenties).

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think the holy roman catholic church fell asleep after about 1910, just as the apostles did in the agony of our Lord. It says something like this in blessed john paul 2's encyclical 'veritas splendour." ,that the church recognisises this in post tense and sees a decline of those desiring to become nuns in quebec as the beggining of this sleep. I think the holy roman catholic church is awakening slowly and it is good.

I even met a lot of people in the parish young adults group near my house that did not know that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ. I - of course - did my best to inform them of this fact, but the religious sister running the group at the time was not that helpful. A lot of the people in that group also thought that pre-marital sex was "okay." But then what can you expect when a priest in a nearby parish had preached homilies about how adultery is not always wrong.

Edited by Apotheoun

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

If your church has never fallen asleep Apo then i hope when it does that the holy catholic church will wake you up, as jesus did 3 times to the apostles at the agony in the garden.

If your church has never fallen asleep Apo then i hope when it does that the holy catholic church will wake you up, as jesus did 3 times to the apostles at the agony in the garden.

The Roman Catholic parishes in the central Contra Costa area are actually better at putting people to sleep than waking them up.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I even met a lot of people in the parish young adults group near my house that did not know that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ. I - of course - did my best to inform them of this fact, but the religious sister running the group at the time was not that helpful. A lot of the people in that group also thought that pre-marital sex was "okay." But then what can you expect when a priest in a nearby parish had preached homilies about how adultery is not always wrong.

That sounds like a horrible homily. I hope someone reported this to there diocese head.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I heard a priest do the angelus last saturday at the beginning of mass (after the sign of the cross,) at a parish i am intending to be a regular at on saturday mornings because my parish hasn't got a mass on saturdays. I have reported the liturgical abuse to the diocese, if it was liturgical abuse, perhaps it was a special day where this is an acceptable change in the liturgy of the holy mass. 

That sounds like a horrible homily. I hope someone reported this to there diocese head.

It was pretty bad, but it was not that unusual. At a different parish one of the priests gave a homily for the feast of the Holy Family that spoke of family in "all its many forms", and he then described, divorced, and single parent families (I assume he was talking about unwed mothers, but I am not sure), and gay, lesbian and transgendered families, and how they all contribute so many wonderful gifts to the Church as reflections of Christ's love. The homily helped me to practice my self-control.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

It was pretty bad, but it was not that unusual. At a different parish one of the priests gave a homily for the feast of the Holy Family that spoke of family in "all its many forms", and he then described, divorced, and single parent families (I assume he was talking about unwed mothers, but I am not sure), and gay, lesbian and transgendered families, and how they all contribute so many wonderful gifts to the Church as reflections of Christ's love. The homily helped me to practice my self-control.

4 priests where excommunicated 4 years ago in australia for there stance in some homilies on gay marriage and abortion, they where pro these, and they refused to make amends and repent.