An Old School Catholic Message Board

Retreat!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

This weekend I'll be on retreat. It's not with a specific congregation, but over the course of the weekend we have varying talks on prayer, religious life, married life, vocations and hearing God's call, plus plenty of time for reflection. 

I'm interested in making it a silent retreat (we are given the option to do so). How best could I do and prepare for that?

Also, we do have the opportunity for an hour and a half of Adoration. I will keep Prayer Room intentions in my heart, but if you have any other intentions feel free to share them with me and I'll happily bring them before the Lord.

God bless you all!

brandelynmarie

Hi :blush:....if it isn't already silent, perhaps buy or create a badge to wear that states you are in silence. And I would pray to the Holy Spirit to be open to whatever He wants to show you during the retreat. Please pray for me & my family.

Edited by brandelynmarie

Spem in alium

Wishing you a wonderful time away from the world. May it be fruitful for you in ways you haven't even dreamt of .

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that.

Hi :blush:....if it isn't already silent, perhaps buy or create a badge to wear that states you are in silence. And I would pray to the Holy Spirit to be open to whatever He wants to show you during the retreat. Please pray for me & my family.

That's a nice idea :) I will pray to the Spirit!

Definitely holding you and your family in my prayers throughout the days.

You may have already left by now, but do you know how many will be going, and are they all looking at religious life?  Is it just women, or are there men as well?

Please pray for several families I know that are dealing with financial and medical problems that could use God's loving touch...  Thank you!!!

Well.... will pray for you as well, Anselm!!!

I'm glad you caught that... was wondering if the British used the language differently.... :evil:  ;)

I'm curious, Anselm, when you go to visit the monks, do you join them for the Liturgy of the Hours?  Does your community chant it?

AND... sometimes this board substitutes words, so you may have been right and the board wrong a few moments ago....

Edited by AnneLine

Yes, I sit in choir with them - I just go and sit in my stall before they process in. The office is in English, but bit by bit seems to be returning to Latin... Good!

I'm curious then, do they allow you to sing with them, or is it the custom for you to just sit among them?  

And are the melodies classic Gregorian chant, or a modified one? 

I sing with them too - the psalms are in slightly simplified tones but the canticles, antiphons and responsories are gregorian. I would guess that there may be other changes towards the more traditional in the future, but of course these things take time in a monastic community.

That sounds a lot like the way the office is prayed by the Dominican Friars.

Praying with them is one of the great joys of being in their parish.  

Well, Anselm, I will pray for you and your (God willing!) brothers to be!  

Please pray for me as well -- and please do pray for the end (or at least containment) of serious wildfires here in California -- just posted a link in the Prayer Room.....

Have a blessed retreat!  

Spem in alium

Thank you all. My retreat was full of blessings and prayer.

AnneLine, there were probably around thirty people there. It was for young women interested in learning more about God and beginning to discern a vocation. We heard talks on prayer, scripture, discernment, married life and religious life. We had a few priests in attendance, as well as an enclosed Benedictine nun (she got permission from her Abbess to attend) and a couple of Nashville Dominicans. My roommate told me she is discerning consecrated virginity, and as far as I know there was no one besides me discerning religious life. I left before I could see your prayer request - sorry about that! I'm hoping to be in Adoration tomorrow, so will bring the intention before the Lord then.