An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Think There Should Be A Vatican 3 ?

AccountDeleted

Third Vatican Council?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

No, I'm not.

Yes, the third heaven. St Paul may have travelled through it via astral projection.

Anyone else smell a troll?

Anyone else smell a troll?

One would hope, but I interacted with a self described expert in western esotericism much worse than this guy, and dead serious. Very self important and pretentious. Did not like him.

PhuturePriest

One would hope, but I interacted with a self described expert in western esotericism much worse than this guy, and dead serious. Very self important and pretentious. Did not like him.

I've never heard of Esotericism, western or otherwise.

I've never heard of Esotericism, western or otherwise.

Esotericism is really a misnomer, a term applied by those who have no interest in it, or don't believe it exists. Basically it's an inner, deeper, often secret teaching that is only given those who have merited knowledge of it. Prior to Christ the multi-personality of God and the true nature of the Messiah were "esoteric" teachings. During the life of Christ, the Divine nature of Christ as well as his real mission were also "esoteric." After Christ many teachings which are now popularized and made known to the general public, e.g. the transubstantiation, trinity, etc. were esoteric teachings only granted to those initiated into the Christian mysteries. A person would undergo years of preparation before being allowed to become a catechumen and eventually baptized. It was often on the day of baptism that they would learn of the true nature of Christ and be able to partake in the liturgy of initiates. Before then they were only permitted to partake in the liturgy of catechumens, which basically consisted of readings from scripture and prayers. Now these teachings and rituals once held dear are basically available to all, for better or worse. Even so, despite being popularized the true significance and meaning of these truths are lost to most.

Gnosticism, in this context. :yawn:

Nihil Obstant clearly likes to put things into categories, but if he thinks my previous post espouses Gnosticism, he has no understanding of the term.