An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Think There Should Be A Vatican 3 ?

AccountDeleted

Third Vatican Council?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Roman Catholic Church as an institution is dying. For centuries anything of a spiritual or deeper nature in Christianity was crushed by the Church authority. Anything that suggested a direct and immediate connection to God not dependent on the sacramental system was judged a threat needing to be removed. All that remained was the exoteric shell of doctrine and ritual and eventually even their significance wore away. It's a sign of spiritual bankruptcy when the sole aim of some groups is to restore and retain traditional formulas and signs of worship when the esoteric nature of these practices and beliefs has been lost. In the end, there is no council that can fix the problem we are facing before us. It is the death of but one more of man's attempts to monopolize and control the Divine among us.

Oh boy. Prepare yourself for an intellectual smackdown, dude.

Sr. Mary Jeremiah OP

I agree with what most replies have said, esp. Aloysius.

The time is too premature. We have not yet exhausted or implemented fully the documents of Vatican II. Historians say it takes between 50 and 100 years to implement a Council. Although it's been 50 years, we are just beginning to reach some stability. With all the changes in the world, I think now is too unstable to have another Council very soon. Wait until those who lived through Vatican II are died, please. :saint2:

Vatican II established the Synod of Bishops. More could be done there and B16 had begun to make it more productive.

Let's Live the Faith and get to evangelizing and working on unity.

Sr. Mary Jeremiah, OP

if there were a vatican II i'd propose it address traditional v modernist catholic views, and maybe a separate or also a council that addresses catholic v orthodox view. it could be two or one, perhaps one if it focused solely on infallbility points. 

i'd like to see the CC address vatican II's those who strive to do good but possess "invincible ignorance" "may" be saved. this would clarify a lot for traditionalists. of course, limbo and the fate of infants would be great to address more officially too. 

i'd like to see the CC address vatican i's idea that the pope may speak "without the consent of the church" and/or that truth is truth "without the consent of the church", as that'd clarify a lot of eastern catholics and perhaps even eastern orthodox as well. 

LouisvilleFan

The Roman Catholic Church as an institution is dying. For centuries anything of a spiritual or deeper nature in Christianity was crushed by the Church authority. Anything that suggested a direct and immediate connection to God not dependent on the sacramental system was judged a threat needing to be removed. All that remained was the exoteric shell of doctrine and ritual and eventually even their significance wore away. It's a sign of spiritual bankruptcy when the sole aim of some groups is to restore and retain traditional formulas and signs of worship when the esoteric nature of these practices and beliefs has been lost. In the end, there is no council that can fix the problem we are facing before us. It is the death of but one more of man's attempts to monopolize and control the Divine among us.

Right on point. People have been saying that for a long time. Almost 2,000 years, in fact.

Right on point. People have been saying that for a long time. Almost 2,000 years, in fact.

Look to what your hierarchs are doing and what they believe. The fish always begin to rot at the head.

There are a variety of criticisms that are often leveled at the Church, but this particular combination:

"Rome is rotten at the head [i.e., no Popery]" + "Rome crushes real Christian spirituality" + "Sacraments are dead ritual" + "The Church's hierarchy is a mere tradition of men"

causes me to think: "Gee, sure is Protestant in here..."

puritan.gif

There are a variety of criticisms that are often leveled at the Church, but this particular combination:

"Rome is rotten at the head [i.e., no Popery]" + "Rome crushes real Christian spirituality" + "Sacraments are dead ritual" + "The Church's hierarchy is a mere tradition of men"

causes me to think: "Gee, sure is Protestant in here..."

I am not endorsing Protestantism as that is an even greater deterioration. Catholicism still retains many true elements albeit in a latent form. Through centuries of materializing and dumbing down the profound light of Christ, all you have are bureaucratic bishops and priests who are little more than instruments for the sacraments. What happened to the spiritual man that is beyond judgment? Where is the seeker of prophecy? The one who explores the third heaven and obtains intimate knowledge of God? I'm afraid there is so much more to the way of Christ that it is simply beyond us, or anything the Catechism reveals to you. As for your sacraments, what use are they if most Priests no longer intend to do what the Church does? In most parishes the transubstantiation probably doesn't even occur, and thank god! We should not lay pearls before swine. But even the carnal theologians readily admit that God can operate outside of the sacraments, and what of those who God calls through a spiritual priesthood? Can not the spiritual man also turn bread into flesh?

Interesting. Are you a gnostic of some sort?

No, I'm not.

the 3rd heaven?

Yes, the third heaven. St Paul may have travelled through it via astral projection.