An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Stone Sinners As Required By The Bible If You Lived In Otest

dairygirl4u2c

Here is a link to Haydock Bible commentary. It may help you look less ridiculous next time you post verses from the Bible.
http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id24.html

Speaking of ridiculous,
Ver. 35. I am come to set a man at variance, &c. Not that this was the end or design of the coming of our Saviour; but that his coming, and his doctrine would have this effect, by reason of the obstinate resistance that many would make, and of their persecuting all such as should adhere to him. (Challoner) --- Not that Christ came for this end, to cause divisions between father and son, &c. On the contrary, the Scriptures teach us to love every one without exception, and especially our kindred; but this is to shew, and foretell what would happen in the same families, when some of them were Christians. We have divers instances of the truth of this in the Lives of the Saints. (Witham) --- No one can be connected with the earth and joined to heaven. Those who wish to enjoy the peace of heaven, must not be united to the lovers of this world by any connection. (Baradius)

That explains something different, doesn't it?
Try again.

Credo in Deum

Speaking of ridiculous,
Ver. 35. I am come to set a man at variance, &c. Not that this was the end or design of the coming of our Saviour; but that his coming, and his doctrine would have this effect, by reason of the obstinate resistance that many would make, and of their persecuting all such as should adhere to him. (Challoner) --- Not that Christ came for this end, to cause divisions between father and son, &c. On the contrary, the Scriptures teach us to love every one without exception, and especially our kindred; but this is to shew, and foretell what would happen in the same families, when some of them were Christians. We have divers instances of the truth of this in the Lives of the Saints. (Witham) --- No one can be connected with the earth and joined to heaven. Those who wish to enjoy the peace of heaven, must not be united to the lovers of this world by any connection. (Baradius)

That explains something different, doesn't it?
Try again.

You're the one that posted a verse out of context.  I was just providing you the correct context.  You try again. 

You're the one that posted a verse out of context. I was just providing you the correct context. You try again.

It's in context. Haydock doesn't explain it in regards to the OP quotes regarding stoning sinners. Don't call it ridiculous unless you can reasonably explain why it isn't related. Jesus is clearly saying he is bringing conflict with those that don't put him and God first. How is that not consistent with t h e admonish from God to stone sinners?
How about explaining what the difference is, tying in and giving examples of other Jesus directives of mercy to sinners, while maintaining a consistent (even some development) of the message from and relationship with God/Jesus who are of the same person/mind.

It's mush easier to ridicule then to defend or explain. Snarkily, I would say it can't be defended or explaied because it fundamentally can't be done, or you're just not up to the task and maybe shouldn't have posted. There are lots of Christians who ould use that to justify stoning, or others to point to it and denigrate the fundamentals of Christianity.

Credo in Deum

It's in context. Haydock doesn't explain it in regards to the OP quotes regarding stoning sinners. Don't call it ridiculous unless you can reasonably explain why it isn't related. Jesus is clearly saying he is bringing conflict with those that don't put him and God first. How is that not consistent with t h e admonish from God to stone sinners?
How about explaining what the difference is, tying in and giving examples of other Jesus directives of mercy to sinners, while maintaining a consistent (even some development) of the message from and relationship with God/Jesus who are of the same person/mind.

It's mush easier to ridicule then to defend or explain. Snarkily, I would say it can't be defended or explaied because it fundamentally can't be done, or you're just not up to the task and maybe shouldn't have posted. There are lots of Christians who ould use that to justify stoning, or others to point to it and denigrate the fundamentals of Christianity.

Haydock doesn't explain it in the context of stoning sinners because the verses you posted have nothing to do with stoning sinners or punishing opposing family/unbelievers, but rather they deal with the righteous being persecuted by their loved ones because they love Christ.  Our family will hate us because we will prefer His will over theirs.   Jesus is saying the good thing He brings - His Gospel - will end up causing conflict.  Yet the Gospel isn't the source of the conflict, the sinners are the ones that are the source of the conflict because they hate being reminded that they are living sinful lives.  They hate those (even their loved ones) who adhere to Christ's Gospel, because their good lives show the sinner their depravity and trouble their conscience.   Did you read the commentary for verse 34?

Ver. 34. I came not to send, &c. That is, dissension and war, in order that the false peace of sinners may be destroyed, and that those who follow me, may differ in morals and affections from the followers of this world. The sword, therefore, is the gospel, which separates those parents who remain in infidelity, &c. &c. &c. (Menochius) --- It must be observed, that the gospel does not necessarily of itself produce dissensions amongst men, but that Christ foresaw, from the depravity of man's heart, that dissensions would follow the propagation of the gospel. The blame of this, however, does not attach to the gospel itself, since those who embrace it, after their conversion sought more than ever to keep peace with all men, even with their most bitter persecutors; whilst those who rejected the gospel, forgetting even the ties of kindred, persecuted even to death the followers of Christ. (Haydock) ---Send peace, &c. Indeed before Christ became man, there was no sword upon the earth; that is, the spirit had not to fight with so much violence against the flesh; but when he became man, he shewed us what things were of the flesh, and what of the spirit, and taught us to set these two at variance, by renouncing always those of the flesh, which constantly endeavour to get master over us, and follow the dictates of the spirit. (Origen)

Please tell me how verses which tell believers to follow Christ and to endure persecution even from loved ones for His sake, relate to punishing sinners by stoning them?

I know Anomaly would. He's a real bastard.

My mom vehemently disagrees that I'm a bastard, but those who know me love me regardless. That's a policy I support.

Haydock doesn't explain it in the context of stoning sinners because the verses you posted have nothing to do with stoning sinners or punishing opposing family/unbelievers, but rather they deal with the righteous being persecuted by their loved ones because they love Christ. Our family will hate us because we will prefer His will over theirs. Jesus is saying the good thing He brings - His Gospel - will end up causing conflict. Yet the Gospel isn't the source of the conflict, the sinners are the ones that are the source of the conflict because they hate being reminded that they are living sinful lives. They hate those (even their loved ones) who adhere to Christ's Gospel, because their good lives show the sinner their depravity and trouble their conscience. Did you read the commentary for verse 34?

Please tell me how verses which tell believers to follow Christ and to endure persecution even from loved ones for His sake, relate to punishing sinners by stoning them?

Pretty good job getting there, finally. I practically had to make a map for you. Wasn't that more fruitful than dismissing my challenge as ridiculous? As "out there" as dairy seems some times, there is a lot more sincirety than she is credited with.

"this  tread of yours is nonsensical and lame, my dear"

it's pretty straightforward actually. if you ilved in those days, you'd surely be a jew as was Jesus right? so would you follow biblical commands to stone people? the bible says God commanded many of them, and even Jesus is quoting God as commanding it. so, would you stone people as commanded by "God"?

I very well might stone people as commanded, since I tend to be a rule-following sort of person.  If I were an RPG character, I would have a lawful, good alignment.  

On the other hand, I was raised Jewish and I was not a rule-following sort of person then.  I was pretty rebellious and wild when I was Jewish.  I was not ready to obey God until I understood that He loved me enough to send His Son to die for me.  I needed to know about the love and mercy of God in order to obey Him and I was not able to get that from the Old Testament alone.

Anyhow, I think it is a good question for exploring some important philosophical issues.  I don't think it's lame.

Credo in Deum

Pretty good job getting there, finally. I practically had to make a map for you. Wasn't that more fruitful than dismissing my challenge as ridiculous?

http://youtu.be/3Sz-7dH_17M

Your "challenges" should come with a disclaimer. 

Your "challenges" should come with a disclaimer.

As should your face.