An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Stone Sinners As Required By The Bible If You Lived In Otest

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

almost no one i've ever met or discussed this stuff has said that they would.

i think i've asked that here before, and no one said they would. they pretty much just ignored it. but here i provide some inescapable commands from "God" in the bible to do so. so if not, discuss why not, and if so, are you comfortable with yourself?

i realize some like to argue that the deaths are examples that show that the wages of sin is death. this is a plausible point, but can you argue all this stuff to justify it, while also admitting that you too would stone them?

i realize, especially for the super religious types, that a test of whether something is true or not, is not what you feel based on your own emotion, but rather based on something firmer. to catholics it is CC teaching, etc.

but as an example.... will you come out and say right now that you would stone the people who the bible says below, to stone, as commands from God?

"Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death. (Leviticus 24:16)

If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death?the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)

If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky, and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5)

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.' (Leviticus 20:27)

While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses. (Numbers 15:32-36)

But seat two scoundrels opposite him and have them testify that he has cursed both God and the king. Then take him out and stone him to death." (1 Kings 21:10)

"If a bull gores a man or a woman to death, the bull must be stoned to death, and its meat must not be eaten. But the owner of the bull will not be held responsible. (Exodus 21:28)

even Jesus in the NTestament seemed on the surface to say that they should have been stoned.

Matthew 15
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a] and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’[c]”

No, because I'm a follower of Christ and I don't think Christ would ever do that or want people to do that. Jesus did not come to kill sinners, he came to save them.

I'm also not a Biblical inerrantist, so I don't think God ever gave those commandments. Jesus is the ruler by which I interpret all the Bible.

dairygirl4u2c

thank you for your willingness to stand against the tide and proclaim that you are not into thinking the bible is inerrant. it is id say becoming more socially acceptable for someone to belief that. even for christians themselves. thank you for being part of that trend.

"this  tread of yours is nonsensical and lame, my dear"

it's pretty straightforward actually. if you ilved in those days, you'd surely be a jew as was Jesus right? so would you follow biblical commands to stone people? the bible says God commanded many of them, and even Jesus is quoting God as commanding it. so, would you stone people as commanded by "God"?

thank you for your willingness to stand against the tide and proclaim that you are not into thinking the bible is inerrant. it is id say becoming more socially acceptable for someone to belief that. even for christians themselves. thank you for being part of that trend.

"this tread of yours is nonsensical and lame, my dear"

it's pretty straightforward actually. if you ilved in those days, you'd surely be a jew as was Jesus right? so would you follow biblical commands to stone people? the bible says God commanded many of them, and even Jesus is quoting God as commanding it. so, would you stone people as commanded by "God"?
Read the New Testament, My dear

"this tread of yours is nonsensical and lame, my dear"

Read the New Testament, My dear Edited by add

dairygirl4u2c

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a] and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b]

that is in the new testament. there's plenty of commands by "god" in the OT too. ive asked plenty of others and some are willing to admit they'd stone sinners. the others just dontwant to address the issue. you sound like you're trying to deflect really answering the question, and apparently are trying to make yourself feel better about something you are mistaken about. cause this is all biblical. far as I can see, you are resting on error.

Why would anyone shun or disrespect there parents? Perhaps doing so ( dis'ing your mom and dad) may cause yourself Negative Consequences

• 9 months later...
Benedictus

Any future generation can look back on us and do the same thing i.e if you lived in the US five hundred years ago, in 2014, would you have supported the death penalty like many of these primitive barbarians? The same could go for many other practices and injustices, some that we may not now even see as such, but those in the future definitely will. Different times require seeing things how they did and understanding it through that, not judging them by our standards.

Credo in Deum

almost no one i've ever met or discussed this stuff has said that they would.

i think i've asked that here before, and no one said they would. they pretty much just ignored it. but here i provide some inescapable commands from "God" in the bible to do so. so if not, discuss why not, and if so, are you comfortable with yourself?

i realize some like to argue that the deaths are examples that show that the wages of sin is death. this is a plausible point, but can you argue all this stuff to justify it, while also admitting that you too would stone them?

i realize, especially for the super religious types, that a test of whether something is true or not, is not what you feel based on your own emotion, but rather based on something firmer. to catholics it is CC teaching, etc.

but as an example.... will you come out and say right now that you would stone the people who the bible says below, to stone, as commands from God?

"Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. Whether an alien or native-born, when he blasphemes the Name, he must be put to death. (Leviticus 24:16)

If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death?the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 22:23-24)

If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky, and this has been brought to your attention, then you must investigate it thoroughly. If it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5)

If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.' (Leviticus 20:27)

While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses. (Numbers 15:32-36)

But seat two scoundrels opposite him and have them testify that he has cursed both God and the king. Then take him out and stone him to death." (1 Kings 21:10)

"If a bull gores a man or a woman to death, the bull must be stoned to death, and its meat must not be eaten. But the owner of the bull will not be held responsible. (Exodus 21:28)

even Jesus in the NTestament seemed on the surface to say that they should have been stoned.

Matthew 15
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a] and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’[c]”

th_50bert.gif

Christians should do the stoning if told to do so:

34“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

35‘I have come to set a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36Your enemies will be right in your own household!’l
37“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. 38If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.

Carry your cross with one hand and pick up stones with the other.

Edited by Anomaly

Credo in Deum

Christians should do the stoning if told to do so:

34“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.

35‘I have come to set a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36Your enemies will be right in your own household!’l
37“If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. 38If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.

Carry your cross with one hand and pick up stones with the other.

Here is a link to Haydock Bible commentary.  It may help you look less ridiculous next time you post verses from the Bible.

http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id24.html

Edited by Credo in Deum