An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Income Inequality Immoral?

havok579257

The State has no responsibilities.

I'm not sure what the alternative is (not saying the modern conception of the state is the end all be all). I'm currently reading Henry Kissinger's "On China" and he gives an overview of China in the 19th century, basically just basked in the glow of its isolationist glory, until Western merchants started trolling for loot, and eventually they had to contend with the "friendly" invasion. Who was going to deal with that, Chinese farmers? No, the state.

Edited by Era Might

I'm not sure what the alternative is (not saying the modern conception of the state is the end all be all). I'm currently reading Henry Kissinger's "On China" and he gives an overview of China in the 19th century, basically just basked in the glow of its isolationist glory, until Western merchants started trolling for loot, and eventually they had to contend with the "friendly" invasion. Who was going to deal with that, Chinese farmers? No, the state.

This theory makes the State moral?

This theory makes the State moral?

Not sure what you mean by "the State." It's a way of organizing the world, like business, like religion, like art, etc.

You don't expect me to read all that? lol

If the alternative to "the State" is the so-called "free market," I will stick with the state. Even in religion there really isn't any such thing as a "free market." There is an economic free market in the sense of gaming rules that preserve competition, etc. But the "free market" as a model of human innocence and purity does not strike me as very realistic.

Both side's are liberals, their trying to watch the game for free. The actual conservatives bought tickets to the game and are sitting comfortably in the stands. Also the liberal family would be better represented if it had at least one grave stone and one less child, since liberals are far more likely to kill their own young. It's also not very safe to have a child stand on two boxes like that, but again child safety isn't apparently a concern for liberals.

How do you know the people in that pic are all liberals? Who said they cant be conservatives too?

I think youre reading waaaay to into that hahahahahahahhha

You don't expect me to read all that? lol

If the alternative to "the State" is the so-called "free market," I will stick with the state. Even in religion there really isn't any such thing as a "free market." There is an economic free market in the sense of gaming rules that preserve competition, etc. But the "free market" as a model of human innocence and purity does not strike me as very realistic.

I don't base my rejection of aggression as morally acceptable on human innocence.

CatholicsAreKewl

How do you know the people in that pic are all liberals? Who said they cant be conservatives too?

They're not real people, CrossCut. They're actors. 

dairygirl4u2c

at least w more extreme poverty, it could be said to be aggression not to be more libreral. if you can't feed your kids, you have every right to go plant some corn on some dude's land who's got hundreds of thousands of acres, etc. I remember even Winchester acknowledged something about violence being inherent in the system. a person can't exercise that right, without the government coming in at gun point to put you in jail etc. so I don't think you can always argue that taxes are taking money at gun point so much, cause it works both ways. and ultimately falls on the deference to those in povertyl

They're not real people, CrossCut. They're actors. 

Its also a cartoon so its not even real to begin with. Dont know why he didnt mention that.

Or the fact that their bodies are pretty disproportionate so they probably have a lot of health problems which is why they are trying to watch the game for free.

Edited by CrossCuT

CatholicsAreKewl

Its also a cartoon so its not even real to begin with. 

Now you're just being ridiculous.

KnightofChrist

Maybe they're all Russian spies, sent here to destory baseball. :|

Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

1012707_10151589774476275_2029894665_n.j

What does this have to do with income?

If we are talking about income, what this picture is saying is the person who works 40 hours a week, the person who works 20 hours a week, and the person who doesn't work, should all get equal pay? That seems like it wouldn't work--we'd all be voluntarily unemployed.