An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two Things That Should Change

CatholicsAreKewl

CatholicsAreKewl

Why do we use both "miss" and "misses" to address women but only "mister" to address men? Shouldn't the way we address men also change when they get married? Another thing, WHY DOES A WOMAN'S LAST NAME HAVE TO CHANGE? What is it about being a man that makes that last name mean more? 

This is why we're clearly superior

HisChildForever

"Ms." is supposed to be as generic as "Mr." So "Ms." is either a single or married woman. It probably came about because of the point you made - why are women distinguished by their marital status but not men.

Husband and wife share the same last name as a symbol of their becoming "one flesh." I guess they go with the man's because he's considered head of the family.

Basilisa Marie

Because women used to be glorified property.  And some things have carried over since then.  :)  Plus it's way easier for historians to keep track of things if we use a social convention like taking a man's last name.  It makes things easier for paperwork and picking your kids up from school and all of that.  I know some women who go by their maiden names professionally and by their husband's name when they're in their "mommy" role, and might use both last names as their legal name.  

I usually go by "Ms." because even though I'm 24 I look like I'm 18 and it helps me get one more tiny professional leg up.  But I don't mind when elderly people address me as "Miss."  

Fight the patriarchy!   :hehe2:

Lilllabettt

I reject the use of "Ms." 

Its use implies that the world considers young unmarried women silly or airheadish. Or that the world considers older unmarried women sad and pitiable.  "Ms." is supposed to cover up the professional/social deficits of being an unmarried woman! Am I going to participate in that unjust structure? Heck no! I intend to kick-butt and do it as a Miss, for unmarried chicks, both young and old, everywhere.

CatholicsAreKewl

Its use implies that the world considers young unmarried women silly or airheadish. Or that the world considers older unmarried women sad and pitiable.  "Ms." is supposed to cover up the professional/social deficits of being an unmarried woman! Am I going to participate in that unjust structure? Heck no! I intend to kick-butt and do it as a Miss, for unmarried chicks, both young and old, everywhere.

Wait, I thought "miss" and "Ms." were kinda the same thing tho? 

CatholicsAreKewl

double post or something

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, but my marital status is none of my boss's business when he's hiring me.  

But more power to you dismantling unjust structures.  :)  You go, sister.  

KnightofChrist

Because women used to be glorified property.  And some things have carried over since then.   :)  Plus it's way easier for historians to keep track of things if we use a social convention like taking a man's last name.  It makes things easier for paperwork and picking your kids up from school and all of that.  I know some women who go by their maiden names professionally and by their husband's name when they're in their "mommy" role, and might use both last names as their legal name.  

I usually go by "Ms." because even though I'm 24 I look like I'm 18 and it helps me get one more tiny professional leg up.  But I don't mind when elderly people address me as "Miss."  

Fight the patriarchy!   :hehe2:

Do you mean the father as head of the family, or the titles of women?

some societies in sub-Saharan Africa trace their lineage thru their mothers. This doesn't necessarily translate to better treatment of women and stuffs. *fun facts*

CatholicsAreKewl

This doesn't necessarily translate to better treatment of women and stuffs. 

Yes it does.

Basilisa Marie

Do you mean the father as head of the family, or the titles of women?

Well, more like women taking last names and titles of women. A woman used to become a member of the man's family/tribe/whatever, so once last names became a thing it made sense to have a woman take a man's last name, as she was leaving the care of her father and entering into the care of her husband.  And a woman's social status was determined by marriage (or lack there of).  

A man being the head of the family is a separate issue, I think.  Related, but separate. 

Why do we use both "miss" and "misses" to address women but only "mister" to address men? Shouldn't the way we address men also change when they get married? Another thing, WHY DOES A WOMAN'S LAST NAME HAVE TO CHANGE? What is it about being a man that makes that last name mean more? 

What's the matter, you don't like being called "Mrs. Clinton"?

CatholicsAreKewl

What's the matter, you don't like being called "Mrs. Clinton"?

You are so "outrageous".

Vincent Vega

some societies in sub-Saharan Africa trace their lineage thru their mothers. This doesn't necessarily translate to better treatment of women and stuffs. *fun facts*

Many societies are matrilineal, notably including Judaism (at least Rabbinical Judaism, not sure about the OT stuff).