An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do Believers Come To Terms With The Fact That There Is No God

CatholicsAreKewl

CatholicsAreKewl

Let's have a good balanced debate about this. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

dairygirl4u2c

"how do atheists come to terms with the fact that there is a God"

let's have a good honest debate about this

hopefully the initial poster's thread was started ironically,only.

Basilisa Marie

By deciding that even if we're wrong we're content with the way we're living our lives. 

BOOM.

*drops mic*

By deciding that even if we're wrong we're content with the way we're living our lives. 

BOOM.

*drops mic*

rofl. 

Here's the thing. I believe that Hell is only for those who reject God and don't want him in their lives. Everyone else will eventually be with Fid in the afterlife. If Hell is the absence of God for eternity, then it's nothingness.

So Believers expect to see God when they die, and they do. Unbelievers expect nothingness, and that's what they get. So if everyone gets what they expect, what's to fight about?

I honestly believe in God cause I think God exist....I would be atheist in a heartbeat if I didn't really believe in God....I don't live a great life either....I struggle with sin a lot and more often then not am not a good person....When a person claims they still can feel the spirit of a passed on spouse or close family relative....Well I feel that way with God....I guess it would be the Holy Spirit...I have had some strange things happen in my life and it has left me convinced God is real....Then again mabey God isn't.....But with me its not really a believe in God so I can go to heaven type thing.......Its more of a I felt I have come into contact with God thing and I believe to my core He's real....And it leaves me with tons of questions....To many questions for my own good....I remember Tupac rapped on his last album on the song "blasphemy" he says " I leave this and hope God can see my heart is pure is Heaven just another door ?" I'm often left with the same questions....If its all real who's to say Heaven and eternity will really be filled with peace and it will be all good....You really don't know....God could very well exist and not be completly good....I think that is always a possiblilty...Althoughhhh I trust God is good and is 100 % real love and no traces of evil are found in Him.....God not existing though just doesn't seem possible to me....Although I admit it could be the case....One day we shall see.....

Edited by Guest

CatholicsAreKewl

I was just trolling.

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

ChristinaTherese

“One word. All you’ve been saying is quite right, I shouldn’t wonder. I’m a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won’t deny any of what you said. But there’s one thing more to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stand by the play world. I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia."

~Puddleglum speaking to the Witch-Queen of Underland in The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis

Edited by Christina Thérèse

There is a well known Irish saying " Bidden or unbidden, God is Present" God exists. Unbelievers do not have to accept or believe it, but it is TRUTH. I think the difficulty comes from those people who have experiential relationship with God in their daily lives. Because of the peace and joy that that Presence brings, we feel sad for those who for whatever reason do not experience God in their daily life.

we feel sad for those who for whatever reason do not experience God in their daily life.

I don't think there is any need to feel sad. I am extremely happy without gods. I don't think many atheists are sad and miserable because they lack a god presence.

I certainly have no conflicts, no guilt, I am not under any confusion as to why awful things happen.
I think there is much beauty in existence, in the amazing things that evolution has churned out over billions of years. I am happy being merely an animal, merely a collection of atoms and energy, a bio-chemical robot under the illusion of life and free will.

I don't glory in self sacrifice, I don't worry about what is immoral or if my loved ones go to heaven or not. I don't get upset if my kids don't takeup my beliefs or non beliefs.

I just love to see the diversity of nature, of cultures, of people abound. It is all very exciting really.