An Old School Catholic Message Board

Self-mortification

Kylie Spinelli

BarbTherese

I think the most effective mortification is whatever it is that God gives you in your everyday life; a difficulty at work, an argument with your family, an interruption when you are doing something important, an interruption in prayer...

I worked as a caregiver before I entered the convent and it offered more opportunities for mortification than any other time in my life (save living in community with other women religious!). 

Don't try to practice more mortification... find what sacrifices are already present in your daily life and live them with fullness of heart.

Thank for sharing this, Sister!  This type of spirituality made a saint of St Therese - and that is to bear the difficulties of one's state in life as best one can united to Jesus for Love of The Father and to His Glory through the Power (Grace) of The Holy Spirit.  The difficulties of one's particular state in life and life's circumstances generally are gifts of Divine Providence to indeed make saints of us - depending of course on our response to Divine Providence, to His Invitations to holiness.

Alberto Guimaraes

Does anyone have any advice or examples for self-mortification? I'm not looking for anything that could seriously harm someone, but just examples of every day little things to offer up for souls.

And of course before beginning anything I will speak with my spiritual director regarding methods and acts.

Thanks and God bless!!

~Kylie

Alberto Guimaraes

I think the most effective mortification is whatever it is that God gives you in your everyday life; a difficulty at work, an argument with your family, an interruption when you are doing something important, an interruption in prayer...

I worked as a caregiver before I entered the convent and it offered more opportunities for mortification than any other time in my life (save living in community with other women religious!). 

Don't try to practice more mortification... find what sacrifices are already present in your daily life and live them with fullness of heart.

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace and Good!   :saint2: 

I follow thinking to go barefoot is a nice, significant and healthy example of mortification.   :flex2:

Try to do it. First, denying the footwear by some hours, afterwards by some days, afterwards by some weeks... And so on.

Drink many, many water, care your feet with an urea and karite butter cream. 

I do it!   :hehe2: 

Jesus, Mary and Francis be with you, keep you and bless you!   :pope2: 

Br. Alberto Guimaraes SFO

Secular Franciscan Fraternity of Braga - Portugal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robaleiro/7888093448/in/set-72157624559130946

Alberto Guimaraes

I follow thinking to go barefoot is a nice, significant and healthy example of mortification.   :flex2:

Try to do it. First, denying the footwear by some hours, afterwards by some days, afterwards by some weeks... And so on.

Alberto Guimaraes

Alberto Guimaraes

Alberto Guimaraes

This is such a great topic. :) I definitely agree with what others have said about finding little ways in your everyday life to mortify yourself. I try to do whatever dishes are in the sink, and put away whatever's in the rack whenever I see something there. Not being particular about food is another good idea- eating some of everything, not having an extra serving of something that you particularly like, and not saying anything if something happens to be overdone, or something similar. That Fly Lady program sounds like a good idea- I might have to sign up for that one. ;)

inperpetuity

So many good responses here.  I myself always find not leaving dishes in the sink at night a hard one especially when I'm really tired.  Going out of my way to talk to someone who I know is lonely when I don't feel like talking. This one never seems to get easier. I have been a caregiver and a nurse and agree, wow, there are some golden opportunities!

inperpetuity

I have been thinking about the fact that I am spending way too much time on this phorum and I need to mortify my curiousity!

MarysLittleFlower

I have a question... people often say that the Church discourages more 'extreme' mortifications. But I never read a statement from the Church condemning this. The only thing I read is - make sure it's done with spiritual direction. By the way, no I don't practice extreme mortifications. I'd be glad to be able to accept the little sufferings I have to endure lol :) But I read about the Saints and about how Our Lord told St Catherine of Siena that mortification must lead to virtue or it's worthless, and should not be done for pride (obviously He said it much better and I'm paraphrasing, here is the relevant section of the Dialogues: http://www.catholictreasury.info/books/dialogue/diag14.php ) that was very helpful to me to understand mortification :)

If you want to do anything more I'd say ask your SD, (I'd ask even for little things just to do them in obedience rather than with self will, that might be safer spiritually!). But some ideas are:

- bearing with the weather, turning off the AC (Our Lord didn't have air conditioning and had to deal with the weather too so we can offer that up :))

- letting others win the argument, letting someone go first, humbling yourself before others (SOOO HARD... but really good to do... I'm still working on it lol)

- not using seasoning in food, not adding sugar, etc.