An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kissing

Anastasia13

Kissing  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A priest once told us that we can kiss our girlfriend like we kiss our sister or grandmother.  Nothing more until the wedding night.

I know.  A terrible disappointment but it is what it is.

TheLordsSouljah

Hehe, if you're from a mainly Mediterranean background like mine, it is custom to kiss both cheeks on greeting at least once!  

This thread is on the debate table so, I'm not sure if I agree with this entirely. Abstaining from kissing because you are afraid of going too far like not eating because you don't want to gain weight? If you have set boundaries and you stick to them I don't know whats so bad about kissing. (I'm playing devils advocate here because I think its a legit question people have).

Edited by Annie12

This thread is on the debate table so, I'm not sure if I agree with this entirely. Abstaining from kissing because you are afraid of going too far like not eating because you don't want to gain weight? If you have set boundaries and you stick to them I don't know whats so bad about kissing. (I'm playing devils advocate here because I think its a legit question people have).

I agree with you Annie! Or with your "devil's advocating" :)  Maybe in some situations, for some people who are more easily led down the primrose path, kissing before marriage isn't prudent... but for the vast majority of grownups it's not sinful or even an occasion of sin. It's just a way of showing affection.

I agree on the boundaries thing. I know some couples didn't kiss until thier wedding and several of them regret waiting and others didn't regret waiting. It is usually depends on the couple or indivdaul person.

Basilisa Marie

The "too far" line is somewhere between no kissing and too much kissing, but I'd argue that that line is different for different couples.  Some people feel called to not kiss until marriage, and that's fine! As long as they still think sex and intimacy are good things to be celebrated and cherished.  Other people have different boundaries.  I mean, heck, I have some friends that are very touchy-feely, and others that will only give out a quick hug if you're sobbing next to them.  For some people it's not weird to give their friends of the opposite sex a kiss on the cheek without it meaning anything but chaste affection, but for others that's only appropriate between people who are dating.   It's about making sure you're not stirring up lust in yourself or your boyfriend/girlfriend.  My theory is that most clergy/religious/instructors of Catholic sex ed generally tell people to abide by super strict lines because it's safer.  

The important thing is that both parties are communicating, that they're keeping God a part of their relationship, and trying to help each other stay chaste.  As long as you're doing that, it doesn't really matter if you exchange a kiss before or after your wedding day. :)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

The kiss of Judas was more that a greeting, even though it was the custom of the day.

This is the kiss of Judas, also known (especially in art) as the Betrayal of Christ, which occurs in the Garden of Gethsemane after the "Last Supper" 

A priest once told us that we can kiss our girlfriend like we kiss our sister or grandmother.  Nothing more until the wedding night.

I guess i can't do this until marriage:

Kiss+On+Hand.jpg

Dr. Bombay

I guess i can't do this until marriage:

Kiss+On+Hand.jpg

My advice would be never kiss a woman's hand even after marriage.  You have no idea where they've been.

Nihil Obstat

Does that mean your sister, or our own sisters?

Dr. Bombay

Does that mean your sister, or our own sisters?

My sisters are married.  You can kiss your own sisters how ever you want. 

Q

E

D