An Old School Catholic Message Board

Did Jesus Have Problems With English (aramaic)?

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c
Matthew 7
Ask, Seek, Knock

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

----------------

when i read that verse, i note the last sentence just does not seem to fit too well with the rest of the paragraph. isn't it somewhat of an unrelated idea?   what does doing unto others have to do with asking and seeking? i see them both as very laudable teachings, but how do they go together? if i were a sixth grade english teacher, i'd be jumping all over it. would i be out of line?

not that i am great, as we all know, with english and grammar and all that jazz. just pointing it out. 

?

fides' Jack

Wow.

What you are reading is an online version of a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation of an event as told by a follower of Jesus.  Any and all grammatical errors and typos you find can be attributed to a mistake in putting the version online, or in one of the several translations that occurred in the last couple thousand years since Jesus died. 

It does not reflect on Jesus' own use of grammar.

dairygirl4u2c

i could see, maybe, that he was trying to say that as your father does to his kid, so will the God father do for us. and the God father is merely doing unto others as should be done, or something. but i'd still have to ask that it be clarified better. 

perhaps it is just a translation issue. as is, it does have issues with proper structure, or at least clarity. 

Nihil Obstat

I do not think you are in a position to comment about proper sentence structure, and certainly not clarity.

dairygirl4u2c

i dont know about acrimony. everyone including me acknowledges that i have issues with taking time to write proper, grammar, clarity etc. 

ok, i guess there is some acrimony. there's vibes against me, cause i guess it's not common to have someone to beef with who actually has substance behind what they say. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Even if the wording is horrible in the original text, Jesus wasn't the author.