An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Your Contrition (repentance Etc) Motivated More Out Of Love, Or Fea

dairygirl4u2c

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anastasia13

First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

What motivates yours, Dairygirl?

dairygirl4u2c

just curious, and maybe a chance for other to reflect on their own motivations. no judgment intended. 

as i get older, my motivations are more out of love of God, when i was younger, fear mostly, right now it's about fifty fifty, and im optimistic that it will continue until it's mostly a love motivation.

Fear and love are not opposites. If you hurt the love of your life, you'll do anything to set things straight. The fear of not doing enough springs from the love you have for the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. (In this light we have to understand the Psalmist's elaborate musings on fear.)

Edited by Catlick

MarysLittleFlower

Fear and love are not opposites. If you hurt the love of your life, you'll do anything to set things straight. The fear of not doing enough springs from the love you have for the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. (In this light we have to understand the Psalmist's elaborate musings on fear.)

I think maybe the fear that's being spoken of here is fear of hell ?

fear of hell vs fear of offending God because you love God and don't want to hurt Him. The second is more perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

My desire to confess comes from both. Though the fear isn't on the scale of 'panic attacks.' it is more like a healthy understanding that God cares, therefore he also disciplines those he loves. Where as the devil doesn't care and lets us do whatever the hell we wan't to. 

O.T. " the fear of God are the beginnings of wisdom."

Laudate_Dominum

Whatever happened to the "I Refuse to Speculate" option?

I'm with Apotheoun.

I have no fear of hell,  I fear being a [mod]Language - BG[/mod]while living, 

Quid Est Veritas?

Fear of offending God out of love for Him. But never fear of Hell. I realize when I sin what I've done and earned. I simply have made the (wrong) choice and deserve Hell out of justice. But the thought of wounding Someone Who loves me more than any person on earth and Whom I love fills me with fear.

Nihil Obstat

"My God, I am heartily sorry for having offended thee, because I dread the loss of heaven and fear the pains of hell, but most of all because they offend thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to do penance, sin no more, and to amend my life. Amen."

Dr. Bombay

Considering Our Lord stated emphatically that most people are going to hell, that should be all the motivation one needs in that regard I should think.