An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spitting Out Food, And Masturbation

dairygirl4u2c

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chestertonian

Seriously?? :x (no pun intended)

Was kinda hoping you wouldn't see this thread.

I hear that if you do both simultaneously they cancel each other out.

this statement combined with your avatar is really creepy. :hehe: 

Chestertonian

this statement combined with your avatar is really creepy. :hehe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wf-mRo7C2I

dairygirl4u2c

"the proper object of eating is nutrition, not taste or "caloric consequences."

calories are a part of nutrition. that means if you spit food out, you're denying at least one aspect of nutrition. if you are denying nutrition, you are denying the object of chewing etc. /// and regardless of if calories are nutrition or vise versa, has little to do with the fact you're spitting food out and depriving the body of something, nutrition, whatever. 

one could argue that there's something sacred about genitals etc.

one could argue that there is at least some very minimal nutritional benefit by having the food in your mouth. it'd surely get into your system some. can't be said for masturbation. might be able to argue the partial thing with condoms though, given they aren't fool proof. 

but ultimately, and in any case... effectively, spitting food out and masturbation are both acts that manipulate natural body function etc, for the sake of pleasure, without regard to anything that could be considered significant proper use of the body functions. cause the nutritional benefit gained when spitting food out, is negligible. 

if masturbation and condoms are sinful, i dont see how you cant say spitting chewed food out is okay.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

makes one wonder, why anorexics and bulimics dont just spit their food out. or insert a tube that takes it out of hte body (this is actually not unheard of

dairygirl4u2c

if you google it, spitting food out isnt unheard of either. a disease, disordered? if anorexia and bulimia are?

dairygirl4u2c

What is it?

Chewing and spitting out food is an old eating-disordered behavior only now coming to light. It’s the latest trend in eating disorders, not because the behavior is new, rather because the online community is rapidly passing around the secret. The mechanism is simple: a person who chews and spits puts food in his or her mouth, tastes it, chews it and then spits it out without swallowing in the hopes of getting some enjoyment out of food, while not having to suffer the weight-gain consequences.

Is it an eating disorder?

Some experts say, yes. Others say, no. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV) the proverbial Bible of psychiatric illness, does not list “spitting and chewing” as a separate, diagnosable eating disorder.

CatherineM

I've met a couple of people who chew and spit out. One was a jockey and one was a model. Both had issues with making weight.

dairygirl4u2c

might be something like... is anorexia and bulimia a sin? if not or at least mitigated cause its considered a disease... that might make asking if chewing and spitting is a disease, important. if a disease, not as sinful. etc

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

I would consider it at least a venial sin unless there were extenuating circumstances or the spitting was an accident/reflex.

Lilllabettt

Purposefully wasting food is a sin. Usually venial I would think. But I can imagine situations where it could be mortal.
Having a disorder like anorexia or bulimia lessens the culpability.

Yes it is sinful.
Gluttony:
"Gluttony denotes, not any desire of eating and drinking, but an inordinate desire... leaving the order of reason, wherein the good of moral virtue consists."

• 2 weeks later...
fides' Jack

"the proper object of eating is nutrition, not taste or "caloric consequences."

calories are a part of nutrition. that means if you spit food out, you're denying at least one aspect of nutrition. if you are denying nutrition, you are denying the object of chewing etc. /// and regardless of if calories are nutrition or vise versa, has little to do with the fact you're spitting food out and depriving the body of something, nutrition, whatever. 

one could argue that there's something sacred about genitals etc.

one could argue that there is at least some very minimal nutritional benefit by having the food in your mouth. it'd surely get into your system some. can't be said for masturbation. might be able to argue the partial thing with condoms though, given they aren't fool proof. 

but ultimately, and in any case... effectively, spitting food out and masturbation are both acts that manipulate natural body function etc, for the sake of pleasure, without regard to anything that could be considered significant proper use of the body functions. cause the nutritional benefit gained when spitting food out, is negligible. 

if masturbation and condoms are sinful, i dont see how you cant say spitting chewed food out is okay.

I can't believe that nobody has responded to this yet.

This is a false analogy.  Eating is required to maintain one's own life.  Sex is not.  So teasing one's appetite on one is not equivalent to doing the same with the other.