An Old School Catholic Message Board

Active Duty Soldier Illegally Disarmed And Arrested

Chestertonian

Nihil Obstat

I know this has nothing to do with the original post; but can you please specify an unjust law?

Prohibition of alcohol comes to mind.

RCIA ~ Class of 09

Prohibition of alcohol comes to mind.

So who deems that unjust? The individual law enforcement officer, society, politicians, etc.?

Nihil Obstat

So who deems that unjust? The individual law enforcement officer, society, politicians, etc.?

Catholic morality? ;) Basic moral philosophy is my starting point, in any case.

RCIA ~ Class of 09

Catholic morality? ;) Basic moral philosophy is my starting point, in any case.

If that was the case then what's to stop police officers opposed to abortion from arresting abortion doctors for murder, or a Muslim officer from arresting a woman not in a Burk ah, or in the case initially stated: an officer taking a gun away from a law abiding citizen because he felt justified based on his personal beliefs. Basic moral philosophy is based on the individual who holds that philosophy; as such we cannot allow individual officers to take the law into their own hands based on their personal beliefs, but rather we need them to uphold the laws as set forth by our nation in order to maintain the civil liberties our Founding Fathers envisioned.

Nihil Obstat

If that was the case then what's to stop police officers opposed to abortion from arresting abortion doctors for murder, or a Muslim officer from arresting a woman not in a Burk ah, or in the case initially stated: an officer taking a gun away from a law abiding citizen because he felt justified based on his personal beliefs. Basic moral philosophy is based on the individual who holds that philosophy; as such we cannot allow individual officers to take the law into their own hands based on their personal beliefs, but rather we need them to uphold the laws as set forth by our nation in order to maintain the civil liberties our Founding Fathers envisioned.

I do not believe in the Founding Fathers. :|

You raise an interesting point. Why does the average person not take the law into his own hands?

RCIA ~ Class of 09

I do not believe in the Founding Fathers. :|

You raise an interesting point. Why does the average person not take the law into his own hands?

Ya my husband (Chestertonian) mentioned, after I posted this, that you are Canadian; so of course you wouldn't believe in the Founding Fathers. :oops:

Re: the average person not taking the law into their own hands: All I can say is that the average person scares me enough to be happy they don't take the law into their own hands. My God can you honestly imagine that? Unfortunately more and more we are living in a society where church on Sunday is no longer a given, or where the average child has no clue what the "golden rule" is, where church and state is so separate that American public schools barely celebrate religious holidays and the ones they do are skirted around and renamed. It would be wonderful if we could truly govern ourselves, but just as we need the Holy See for guidance we also need man-made laws to help us navigate because of those who no longer respect the Church and Her principals as set fourth by God.

Nihil Obstat

It is more than just my Canadian-ness. ;)

Are laws really man-made though? I do not think we would follow them if they were. Who really cares about speeding limits? In and of themselves, few people really do. Nobody is willing to die for the sake of upholding a 50km/h speeding limit in residential areas. What people do care about is driving in such a way that they do not die or kill anyone.

There are anomalies. There are always anomalies. But this is true with man-made laws every bit as much as laws with a deeper basis.

I do not think that people refrain from murder because murder is illegal. Murder is illegal because of something outside of 'the legal system.'

So, why was the prohibition of alcohol unjust?

Chestertonian

Disclaimer: In no way, shape or form should my wife's political opinions be confused for mine.I'm further to the right and less authoratarian. :-)

Re: the average person not taking the law into their own hands: All I can say is that the average person scares me enough to be happy they don't take the law into their own hands.

Have you met Winchester yet? It should be fun. He also believes cops have superpowers beyond the average humans.

Winchester

Do you possess the right to prevent me from consuming alcohol on my own property?

Do you possess the right to prevent me from consuming alcohol on my own property?

Do you possess a right to keep people off a piece of land just because you announce it as yours?  Are you magical?  

Winchester

Do you possess a right to keep people off a piece of land just because you announce it as yours?  Are you magical?  

If no one possesses any property rights, then you kind of undermine the whole government thing you've advocated.

There's no argument against zero property rights. Just as there's no argument against a man claiming to be Napoleon Bonaparte.

Edited by Winchester