An Old School Catholic Message Board

Active Duty Soldier Illegally Disarmed And Arrested

Chestertonian

havok579257

Some people don't think the officer broke the law. Some claim that walking down the street with a gun is 'threatening,' and threatening people with a gun is against the law.

who on here(other than maybe dairy) thinks that the officer did nothing wrong.  I think after numerous gun debates we know where people stand on here.  Your not debating law, your debating weather its moral to arrest someone for nothing.  Big difference.

Nihil Obstat

the law not to be arrested just because you carry a gun legally.  the 2nd amendment.

Well for starters it is, in my opinion, unjust to forbid peacefully carrying a gun regardless, so that sort of makes the whole question moot. I am not a legal positivist.

That being the case, it is certainly a just law which protects a man's right to carry a weapon. On the other hand, if the law directed police officers to disarm peaceful people for any reason, that law would be unjust and they should disregard it.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

havok579257

Well for starters it is, in my opinion, unjust to forbid peacefully carrying a gun regardless, so that sort of makes the whole question moot. I am not a legal positivist.

That being the case, it is certainly a just law which protects a man's right to carry a weapon. On the other hand, if the law directed police officers to disarm peaceful people for any reason, that law would be unjust and they should disregard it.

you know I feel like the debate board has become a place of talking points.  Like politicians do, people on here just throw out things that don't relate to the subject at hand, or relate on a distant level just so they can say something.  Even if its something we all know.

Nihil Obstat

you know I feel like the debate board has become a place of talking points.  Like politicians do, people on here just throw out things that don't relate to the subject at hand, or relate on a distant level just so they can say something.  Even if its something we all know.

I notice you said absolutely nothing substantive in this post. You sure are cranky lately. Want a free book?

Nihil Obstat

Where do you find all these free books?

I impose my wishes onto the great interwebz through sheer force of willpower. And also Google.

Chestertonian

I impose my wishes onto the great interwebz through sheer force of willpower. And also Google.

qul

Maximilianus

Not a fan of Hoppe? How about this one?

I'm a fan of Hoppe's, use it all the time to help remove carbon fouling... got to make sure you wipe that stuff off though and lube the parts.

good stuff. 

you said something about a book? 

Chestertonian

who on here(other than maybe dairy) thinks that the officer did nothing wrong.  I think after numerous gun debates we know where people stand on here.  Your not debating law, your debating weather its moral to arrest someone for nothing.  Big difference.

3ow0uw.jpg

RCIA ~ Class of 09

Law enforcement is entirely justified in breaking the law if the law is unjust. In fact they would be morally obligated to do so.

I know this has nothing to do with the original post; but can you please specify an unjust law?