An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aussiemite - What's Your View?

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pu_vTGWA9DE[/youtube]

I'm fairly repulsed and a bit angered by this. But apparently it's actually meant to be funny. I just see it as a fairly cowardly strategy used to cause offence and gain publicity for an otherwise unmarketable product.

Apparently the creator of the AussieMite is Catholic and says: "It's an ad developed off the new pope being elected," she said. "We thought it was the topic of the moment. We wanted something that was a bit fun. It's not in any way meant to be a strike against the Catholic Church. I'm Catholic and I don't find it offensive. It's simply meant to be a talking-piece. I hope that Australia finds it funny."

What's your view?  Is it funny and I'm (along with many others) just missing the point? Should religion be used in marketing in any way?

EDIT: You may want to check this out too: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/food/aussiemite-ad-8216a-deliberate-strategy-to-cause-offence8217-say-catholics/story-fni0dgid-1226653546636?sv=eff46b955e781750ae99fd69e3731673%3Fsv%3Deff46b955e781750ae99fd69e3731673#.UacuYZVykEA.facebook

Edited by Spem in alium

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. In terms of sacreligious jokes that was fairly tame and benign compared to many, many other things I've seen. We live in the age of toothless blasphemy. The sacred doesn't really exist anymore so it's all a joke even to those who claim to believe. Most people don't take God seriously to comedians get to feel bad ass for blaspheming a god they don't even believe exists. LOL it's all a big boring joke. Half of their fun is seeing religious folks freak out over it. I for one will not give them that satisfaction. It only encourages them.

You could also not buy the product, and encourage other Catholics to do the same. Seeing as that looked like dirt mixed with black bile I'll happily join you in boycotting it.

Spem in alium

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. In terms of sacreligious jokes that was fairly tame and benign compared to many, many other things I've seen. We live in the age of toothless blasphemy. The sacred doesn't really exist anymore so it's all a joke even to those who claim to believe. Most people don't take God seriously to comedians get to feel bad ass for blaspheming a god they don't even believe exists. LOL it's all a big boring joke. Half of their fun is seeing religious folks freak out over it. I for one will not give them that satisfaction. It only encourages them.

You could also not buy the product, and encourage other Catholics to do the same. Seeing as that looked like dirt mixed with black bile I'll happily join you in boycotting it.

Hah. It's still unfortunate, I think - there are plenty of other ways to advertise this stuff and I don't really understand why religion needs to be used at all. People who seem quite offended are making the point that if another faith (such as Islam) was targeted in such a way in Australia, there would probably be a massive outcry/protest/riot, etc. I'm definitely not going to buy it. I don't settle for anything less than Vegemite. It's the original dirt-and-black-bile mixture. All others are purely second-rate.

vegemite.jpg

CatholicsAreKewl

Hah. It's still unfortunate, I think - there are plenty of other ways to advertise this stuff and I don't really understand why religion needs to be used at all. People who seem quite offended are making the point that if another faith (such as Islam) was targeted in such a way in Australia, there would probably be a massive outcry/protest/riot, etc. I'm definitely not going to buy it. I don't settle for anything less than Vegemite. It's the original dirt-and-black-bile mixture. All others are purely second-rate.

vegemite.jpg

I don't understand how Aussies like this stuff. I just... can't.

Spem in alium

I don't understand how Aussies like this stuff. I just... can't.

Actually, many don't. Only a chosen few can tolerate its yeasty flavour. :P

The best way to have it is with an abundance of butter/cheese. Try it that way when you're next in Oz :)

CatholicsAreKewl

Actually, many don't. Only a chosen few can tolerate its yeasty flavour. :P

The best way to have it is with an abundance of butter/cheese. Try it that way when you're next in Oz :)

I did lol. My cousin eats it for breakfast. 

Quid Est Veritas?

No, you don't have an underdeveloped sense of humor. It isn't funny, but apparently, they just want the video to go viral and get a rise out of people. At the risk of sounding prideful and pretentious, I intend to pray for them. One of the people involved in making it self-identifies as Catholic. :(

Spem in alium

I did lol. My cousin eats it for breakfast. 

Haha. The other day I was shopping and saw AussieMite on the shelf. I also saw OzEMite and Cheesybite, which are both sub-par takes on the one and only Vegemite. Your cousin is eating the right stuff :)

No, you don't have an underdeveloped sense of humor. It isn't funny, but apparently, they just want the video to go viral and get a rise out of people. At the risk of sounding prideful and pretentious, I intend to pray for them. One of the people involved in making it self-identifies as Catholic. :(

I know. That's what I don't get. But I like your idea of praying for them. To me it sounds charitable more than it does prideful and pretentious :)

On another note, here is their "apology". 

971932_10152885874715165_446617544_n.jpg

Spem in alium

Huh, I used the original image they photoshopped as part of a project this year.

It's a pretty cool image :) Do you know where it's from originally? I've seen it around a few places and have always wondered.

I heard yesterday that AussieMite had to remove their ad. Apparently it had offended too many people, something they didn't realise it would do.