An Old School Catholic Message Board

Denominational Truths?

thessalonian

Nihil Obstat

I don't quite get the objection. "Denominational Truths" are true statements held by a denomination of Christians. He happens to feel that whatever particular denomination he believes in is true and states very many truths about Christianity that ought to be defended. And we Catholics agree, in part; for we also hold that, even if a particular truth divides one person from another (those who believe the truth will always be "denominated" or distinguished from those hold an error), truth must be everywhere defended. And if the Baptists do in fact hold to certain truths as a consequence of their denomination, and those truths are in fact truths, then we would agree that those Baptists ought to defend such truths against Christian denominations who say otherwise. I think you are getting hung up over words without really understanding the meaning of those words or the intentions of the speaker. 

On the other hand, it is also true that in whatever case a Christian denomination holds something different from the true Church, the Catholic Church, the denomination is objectively wrong. That implies that everything unique about a Christian denomination, every little aspect that makes it XYZ Denomination as opposed to Catholic, is an error.

thessalonian

I don't quite get the objection. "Denominational Truths" are true statements held by a denomination of Christians. He happens to feel that whatever particular denomination he believes in is true and states very many truths about Christianity that ought to be defended. And we Catholics agree, in part; for we also hold that, even if a particular truth divides one person from another (those who believe the truth will always be "denominated" or distinguished from those hold an error), truth must be everywhere defended. And if the Baptists do in fact hold to certain truths as a consequence of their denomination, and those truths are in fact truths, then we would agree that those Baptists ought to defend such truths against Christian denominations who say otherwise. I think you are getting hung up over words without really understanding the meaning of those words or the intentions of the speaker. 

What denominates them is their contradictory differences.  Not what they agree on that agrees with Catholicism.  The speaker was speaking of the separate denominations against Catholicism.  About standing up for what their particular protestant denomination believes.  Denominational truths is contradictory.  An oxymoron of sorts.

Call the show. Tell him you are lost and need help, then ask which of the tens of thousands of denominations owns the truth.