An Old School Catholic Message Board

Denominational Truths?

thessalonian

thessalonian

I was listening to the radio today, some protestant guy was going on and on about ecuminism and how wrong it was that various evangelicals were trying to get along with the Catholic Church.  Then he said that the "denominational truths" needed to be defended.  Just about fell out of my chair.  Think about that "denominational truths"?  So what denominates us is true?    What separates us is true?  Scratching my head.  Am I missing something?

havok579257

my advice, unless its just for the music, avoid protestant radio and tv channels. 

havok579257

Just avoid anything non-Catholic altogether.

yeah that makes no sense.  my point was actually valid.  I mean is there any point to listening to a protestant radio station that says the catholic church is wrong?  its a waste of time.  you can do better things with your time than waste what little of it we have on earth listening to a radio station that goes against all your views and tells you, you are wrong. 

CatholicsAreKewl

yeah that makes no sense.  my point was actually valid.  I mean is there any point to listening to a protestant radio station that says the catholic church is wrong?  its a waste of time.  you can do better things with your time than waste what little of it we have on earth listening to a radio station that goes against all your views and tells you, you are wrong. 

I agree. Anything non-Catholic is a waste of time.

Chestertonian

my advice, unless its just for the music, avoid protestant radio and tv channels. 

I don't care for their music either; get enough of it at mass.

CatholicsAreKewl

Except DC Talk, of course.

havok579257

I actually like some of their music.  I mean they really are the only place to listen to Christian music during the day.  Don't get me wrong, I love catholic radio and what it does but it does not play any music during the day that I know about.

Chestertonian

I actually like some of their music. I mean they really are the only place to listen to Christian music during the day. Don't get me wrong, I love catholic radio and what it does but it does not play any music during the day that I know about.

I know Lots of Catholics who listen to it too. I can't do it, though. Usually end up opting for secular music or talk radio.

Basilisa Marie

I was listening to the radio today, some protestant guy was going on and on about ecuminism and how wrong it was that various evangelicals were trying to get along with the Catholic Church.  Then he said that the "denominational truths" needed to be defended.  Just about fell out of my chair.  Think about that "denominational truths"?  So what denominates us is true?    What separates us is true?  Scratching my head.  Am I missing something?

Lol, he was afraid that lovely evangelicals would get converted.  Lots of evangelicals think that the differences don't matter, so it's easier to get snapped up by another denomination.  He's talking about understanding why you're the way you are - if you're a methodist, why you're a methodist instead of a lutheran. 

LouisvilleFan

Talk radio is entertainment, not educational. There are plenty of well-spoken and thoughtful Protestants out there for those who are genuinely interested. Most of them are actually relatively fair in their representation of Catholicism.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

HisChildForever

Talk radio is entertainment, not educational. There are plenty of well-spoken and thoughtful Protestants out there for those who are genuinely interested. Most of them are actually relatively fair in their representation of Catholicism.

Thanks for this post. It's one thing to be irritated by anti-Catholic sentiments, another to be disparaging towards Protestants/Protestantism as a whole...if we don't like Protestants making jabs at us, how is it not hypocritical when we're "cool" with making jabs at them? And no, I'm not talking about a sincere and genuine discussion of theological disagreements, I'm talking about attitude.

thessalonian

I don't as a general rule listen to alot of it anymore.  I just happened to have the radio on this station when I got in the car from the night before.  Though I have to say that every time I hear one of these anti-catholic ranters they something so totally ridiculous such as this that it only confirms my faith and proves that the divided theology of protestantism can't be the Church that Christ built.