An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does Hell Mean Hell Fire?

dairygirl4u2c

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CatherineM

I think hell is a place without God. I don't think it is hot or cold. I think it is nothingness. An eternity of emptiness.

PhuturePriest

Tim Staples says hell is not full of fire. Fire is used symbolically because there's nothing worse physically that we can think of than being on fire and not being able to die. However, he says, think of when you ever felt empty, like when someone close to you died. He said it's that empty feeling, but magnified in a way we could never imagine.

Not The Philosopher

IIRC, the Church teaches that while the primary source of pain in hell is the spiritual pain of being separated from God, there is also/will also be sensory pain as well.

CatholicsAreKewl

Our blessed Lord said the gates of hell shall not prevail against it, against the Church. Now here our Lord is not so much referring to literal "gates", but to an unseen world. Won't prevail, as to say evil shall not prevail.... Our blessed Lord therefore assures Peter that his Church will be indestructable, indefectable, indestructable, indefectable, indestructable, indefectable, indestructable, indefectable........

Nihil Obstat

IV. HELL

1033 We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called "hell."

1034 Jesus often speaks of "Gehenna" of "the unquenchable fire" reserved for those who to the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost.614 Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels, and they will gather . . . all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire,"615 and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!"616

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

1036 The affirmations of Sacred Scripture and the teachings of the Church on the subject of hell are a call to the responsibility incumbent upon man to make use of his freedom in view of his eternal destiny. They are at the same time an urgent call to conversion: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few."618

Since we know neither the day nor the hour, we should follow the advice of the Lord and watch constantly so that, when the single course of our earthly life is completed, we may merit to enter with him into the marriage feast and be numbered among the blessed, and not, like the wicked and slothful servants, be ordered to depart into the eternal fire, into the outer darkness where "men will weep and gnash their teeth."619

1037 God predestines no one to go to hell;620 for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end. In the Eucharistic liturgy and in the daily prayers of her faithful, the Church implores the mercy of God, who does not want "any to perish, but all to come to repentance":621

Father, accept this offering 
from your whole family. 
Grant us your peace in this life, 
save us from final damnation, 
and count us among those you have chosen.622

612 1 Jn 3:14-15.
613 Cf. Mt 25:31-46.
614 Cf. Mt 5:22,29; 10:28; 13:42,50; Mk 9:43-48.
615 Mt 13:41-42.
616 Mt 25:41.
617 Cf. DS 76; 409; 411; 801; 858; 1002; 1351; 1575; Paul VI, CPG Â§ 12.
618 Mt 7:13-14.
619 LG 48 § 3; Mt 22:13; cf. Heb 9:27; Mt 25:13,26,30,31-46.
620 Cf. Council of Orange II (529):DS 397; Council of Trent (1547):1567.
621 2 Pet 3:9.
622 Roman Missal, EP I (Roman Canon) 88.

AccountDeleted

Sign at the entrance of hell.... (according to Dante)

Abandonnate ogni speranza voi chi entrate.   (Abandon hope all ye who enter here)

To me, hell is a state without hope - that is, without Jesus. Emptiness, yes, hopelessness, yes. To be without God is to be without light, without hope, without .... well, just 'without'.

TheLordsSouljah

We are made for God. Everyone on earth has God with them to some extent or another while they are still alive, so that they can live and be drawn to a knowledge of Him.

Hell (and some speculate Purgatory)is the absence of God, for Whom we are made. When something is 'alive' in the opposite state meant for it, it's really dead. But to be somehow separated from the very reason of your being, longing for yet hating God at the same time, this is the hell.

Hell is depicted as having flames because burning is so awful. The artists are trying to use imagery that people know to be torturous so as to exhort them to avoid the place.

elizabeth09

Tim Staples says hell is not full of fire. Fire is used symbolically because there's nothing worse physically that we can think of than being on fire and not being able to die. However, he says, think of when you ever felt empty, like when someone close to you died. He said it's that empty feeling, but magnified in a way we could never imagine.

Agree.

When I think of hell, I think about red all around, with fire coming and going.

"Those who are tormented in hell are tormented by the invasion of love. What is there more bitter and violent than the pains of love? Those who feel they have sinned against love bear in themselves a damnation much heavier than the most dreaded punishments. The suffering with which sinning against love afflicts the heart is more keenly felt than any other torment. It is absurd to assume that the sinners in hell are deprived of God’s love. Love is offered impartially. But by its very power it acts in two ways. It torments sinners, as happens here on earth when we are tormented by the presence of a friend to whom we have been unfaithful. And it gives joy to those who have been faithful. That is what the torment of hell is in my opinion: remorse. But love inebriates the souls of the sons of heaven by its delectability."

+ St. Isaac the Syrian

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Jesus " Many blasphemies will be forgiven except the blaspheme against the holy spirit." 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I kind of agree with Apotheoun except about the children of God being in the same place. I think God's love is omnipotent and that God is present everywhere, even in hell. Thing about hell is the people that hate God go there and there is no escape from his love therefore they stay in a permanent state of hate instead of love and peace, possibly. These are just my thoughts on the matter unsure if i actually believe them yet or not, i have only just started to form a concience from about 4 years ago and i'm 30+, slow starter. So go easy on me phat headz.

The four last things to remember. Hell,Death,Judgement and Heaven.

Onward christian souls.

Faith,Hope,Love,Courage,Patience,Understanding and Peace.

Jesus is Lord.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Perhaps Dairy girl you are wondering as to why in the roman catholic mass we say Jesus descended into hell in the creed. If that is so, I was simply told that there are a variation of meanings to the word hell in Christianity and this variation just means the land of the dead/sheol.  Did you know there is also a temporal hell, Daniel was cast there by the evil king and was rescued by the angels. I think if i remember correct that Jesus talked of the temporal hell also. As far as i'm aware we can cast each other there with our words and actions, or by our own words and actions condemn ourselves there. The only way out is Jesus, i seem to frequent that temporal ghenna far to often, but aye alleluia Jesus iz LORD, and he rescues me. Well Jesus gives me the grace to forgive others than i am released, and when it is my fault he gives me the faith and hope to repent than i am released.

The four last things to be remembered. Hell,Judgement,Death and Heaven.

Jesus " the tounge is a double edged sword, it can be used to bless or curse."

Onward christian souls.

Jesus is LORD.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye