An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are The Worst Arguments You've Ever Seen Or Heard?

Seven77

Winchester

"You can't legislate morality."

(or any of many inane variations thereof)

It's true. If it weren't, the prisons would be empty.

Sometimes even priests are wrong.

Not even saints are right on everything all of the time.

PhuturePriest

Sometimes even priests are wrong.

Not even saints are right on everything all of the time.

Heresy.

PhuturePriest

it's true you know.  even Peter had denied his Lord three times before the crucifixion

Lalalalalalalala!

havok579257

that anarchy and capitalism together  or just anarchy, would ever work in real life.

Nihil Obstat

To paraphrase the eminent Alice von Hildebrand, in the first great act of collegiality, all the apostles abandoned Christ. :|

it's true you know.  even Peter had denied his Lord three times before the crucifixion

Yes. All the most important heretics have been ordained (Sabellius, Arius, Apollinaris, Nestorius, Eutyches, Pyrrhus, Honorius, et al.).

MarysLittleFlower

yes but this doesn't follow that the things that St Peter taught afterwards, were not true :)

yes but this doesn't follow that the things that St Peter taught afterwards, were not true :)

St. Peter was corrected by St. Paul on the issue of Judaizing (i.e., excluding Gentiles from fellowship). St. Peter was not perfect.

Edited by Apotheoun

MarysLittleFlower

St. Peter was corrected by St. Paul on the issue of Judaizing (i.e., excluding Gentiles from fellowship). St. Peter was not perfect.

I didn't say that St Peter was perfect, I meant that - the fact that he denied Christ in the past, doesn't lead to the idea that his future teachings as an Apostle were false. Because his teachings came from God. Neither does it mean that if a Saint is imperfect, that we can just dismiss the things that they discerned through prayer or growth in the spiritual life :) God speaks through people even if they are imperfect, and none of us is perfect.

I didn't say that St Peter was perfect, I meant that - the fact that he denied Christ in the past, doesn't lead to the idea that his future teachings as an Apostle were false. Because his teachings came from God. Neither does it mean that if a Saint is imperfect, that we can just dismiss the things that they discerned through prayer or growth in the spiritual life :) God speaks through people even if they are imperfect, and none of us is perfect.

His teaching - by action - in connection with the Judaizers was false, and that was why St. Paul had to correct him.

To paraphrase the eminent Alice von Hildebrand, in the first great act of collegiality, all the apostles abandoned Christ. :|

Did John? He was at the foot of the cross.